E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

A tip on Headlights

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2004, 04:52 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

O.K. I want in on this. I may be wrong but I think it is illegal in California to drive with fog lights on if there is no fog. Some people retrofit fog lights with driving lights, (stupidly), so they can leave all lights on to look cool. I've still been very thankful for fog lights the very few times I've actually needed them. If not necessary don't be one to drive up behind me with your fog lights or high beams on because I will face all my mirrors back to reflect in your eyes. Am I the only one that does this?
Old 09-02-2004, 05:45 PM
Senior Members

what kind of eyes do people in germany have that a low watt bulb actually causes them to go blind

they are no where close to bright and no where close to as bright as the xenons..plus the fog lights are not angeled up...so i don't see how it can be blinding to a person infront unless the fogs are pointing at an up angel towards their rear view windows <_<
Old 09-02-2004, 05:47 PM
Contributors

Dude when is pretty dark..on my roads..i dont care if they call me fool...or whatever name they want to call me..i use my fog on. 90% of the car here where I live (poushkeepsie, NY) use their fog lights if they have it on their car.
Old 09-03-2004, 03:57 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by amigo525' date='Sep 3 2004, 03:47 AM
90% of the car here where I live (poushkeepsie, NY) use their fog lights if they have it on their car.
That's still no making it valid.

It's a f*cked up ignorant and bad attitude. It doesn't give you a better vision and doesn't look cool at all.
Old 09-03-2004, 05:37 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Iceman' date='Sep 3 2004, 05:57 AM
[quote name='amigo525' date='Sep 3 2004, 03:47 AM'] 90% of the car here where I live (poushkeepsie, NY) use their fog lights if they have it on their car.
That's still no making it valid.

It's a f*cked up ignorant and bad attitude. It doesn't give you a better vision and doesn't look cool at all. [/quote]
let me ask you Ice....do you ever go over the speed limit for even a second? if so...then thats ignorant because you are not thinking about other on the road. the law is to say under the limit...hence the word LIMIT!
Old 09-03-2004, 05:59 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by saurabh' date='Sep 3 2004, 03:37 PM
let me ask you Ice....do you ever go over the speed limit for even a second? if so...then thats ignorant because you are not thinking about other on the road. the law is to say under the limit...hence the word LIMIT!
You asked, you get an answer:

I only speed when there is nobody else! When there are others I am not speeding.

When the Autobahn is empty and there are no other cars in front, why not...
On most highways where I drive there is a limit of 130Km/h what I DO respect, sometimes I am cruising on highways with just 100Km/h. When there is no limit I am going fast, but only when the traffic allows it. I never flash at others nor do I use the blinker to make others move out of my way. I am also leaving enough space in between the car I follow and mine, so that I can react in emergency situations and mybe brake down to a full stop.

My last ticket was waaay back in the mid 90's!

You're accusing the wrong person.
Old 09-03-2004, 06:13 AM
JDN
Contributors

Originally Posted by saurabh' date='Sep 3 2004, 08:37 AM
if so...then thats ignorant because you are not thinking about other on the road. the law is to say under the limit...hence the word LIMIT!
I believe that is a little harsh, saraubh. IMO, speed limits are set for average conditions and maybe for the worst handling vehicles on the road. If road conditions are excellent and the car is even better than that, then why not exercise some leeway? Incidentally, my last speeding ticket was 1987. I have been stopped since then and could have easily been ticketed, but evidently not that bad for conditions in the eyes of the patrolman -- only 23 mph over the limit. The last one that stopped me in the 540 had more comments admiring the vehicle than being critical of the driver.
Old 09-03-2004, 06:41 AM

I totally agree with Iceman.

They are for FOG ... how simple is that ?

It really it really annoys me to see them used in non fog conditions.
For some of you to claim it makes you look cool then that's just childish and gives BMW drivers a bad reputation .

Old 09-03-2004, 06:42 AM
stu
Members

so sorry; forgot to log in above...
Old 09-03-2004, 07:06 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

You must have done some sweet talking to get out of that ticket JDN. But having been through one of those driver's education courses to get out of a ticket, the speed limit is the limit under "ideal" driving conditions. Not really sure how that differs from average conditions, but clearly the addition of any other factor such as traffic, darkness, rain or fog etc can push that limit down. This means that if road conditions are less than ideal, you can actually be ticketed for doing the speed limit.

Quick Reply: A tip on Headlights