E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

A tip on Headlights

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2004, 03:56 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I drive with the fog lights on because the headlights on my truck SUK, and IMHO are not really good as fog lights. I would call them more of an accessory lighting.

With the quality of the BMW Xenon's don't need them in my opinion. I will acutally try to get a yellower color for the fogs, so will help when in the FOG.
Old 09-02-2004, 03:59 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by Viper786' date='Sep 3 2004, 01:48 AM
Well, first of all, no one is annoyed.

i think it enchances the looks a little. Since i don't have xenons, i drive with them on.. if i had xenons, i woudln't.

I have a question for you other americans. Do people in your area drive with their fog lights on? lke about 40-60%?
How can you say no one is annoyed ? Have you spoken with all other drivers you ever shared your road with ?

And even if 90 percent would have them on, it would still be stupid, because it's a simple misuse! The fact that 90 percent do it doesn't make it valid...
Old 09-02-2004, 04:23 PM
Senior Members

I think I'm getting my period... ?
this is the iceman that i know. c'mon, chill out. grab a beer and don't forget your tampon .
Old 09-02-2004, 04:30 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2009 528xi, Jet Black, Black Dakota Leather, Poplar Wood, Steptronic Transmission, Premium Package, Cold Weather Package

Originally Posted by Iceman' date='Sep 2 2004, 05:59 PM
How can you say no one is annoyed ? Have you spoken with all other drivers you ever shared your road with ?
Yes. Every single one of them. If it makes you happy, my dad bought me a car and didn't pay for the fog light upgrade
Old 09-02-2004, 04:31 PM
Members

I have to side with Iceman here. Fog lights are intended for fog, not for looking better. They do annoy (certainly me) when they are used without fog, they can blind you at times, because they do tend to be too bright, and that also applies for the tail fog light. The car looks absolutely cool with the normal head lights on, and indeed: there is something to be said about taking pride in using the functions of your car the way they were intended -- you might think the blinking emergency flashers would look really cool, yet you still wouldn't drive around with them on. A refined car looses much of its sophistication if the driver doesn't use it appropriately ... and do you really want to compare an e60 with "most American luxury cars"?... (BTW, I do NOT see many cars with fog lights on here in Delaware, Southern NJ and PA)
Old 09-02-2004, 04:32 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Viper786' date='Sep 3 2004, 02:30 AM
[quote name='Iceman' date='Sep 2 2004, 05:59 PM']
Yes. Every single one of them. If it makes you happy, my dad bought me a car and didn't pay for the fog light upgrade [/quote]
That's ignorant and you know it...
Old 09-02-2004, 04:32 PM
Members

If you're looking for a selfish reason to keep the fog lights off, keep this in mind: with the fog lights on the added brightness they cast at close range actually decreases your distant night vision because they force your pupils to constrict.

This could also be a regional thing. I rarely see cars with fog lights on here in Northern California unless it is foggy.
Old 09-02-2004, 04:35 PM
Super Moderator

Oh, I forgot...

YOu guys that are driving with them on all the time... You think it looks better, right ?

Well, the BMW designers gave the 5series the angeleyes. Nobody can see the angeleyes , nor the LED's when you drive with fog lights turned on. And the LED's and the angeleyes look better than the foglights. I think you have to agree on that...
Old 09-02-2004, 04:35 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2009 528xi, Jet Black, Black Dakota Leather, Poplar Wood, Steptronic Transmission, Premium Package, Cold Weather Package

Originally Posted by Iceman' date='Sep 2 2004, 06:32 PM
That's ignorant and you know it...
Yes... i know.... it was a joke.....

Ok. From now on, i will drive with my foglights off.
Old 09-02-2004, 04:36 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Iceman' date='Sep 2 2004, 06:35 PM
Oh, I forgot...

YOu guys that are driving with them on all the time... You think it looks better, right ?

Well, the BMW designers gave the 5series the angeleyes. Nobody can see the angeleyes , nor the LED's when you drive with fog lights turned on. And the LED's and the angeleyes look better than the foglights. I think you have to agree on that...
Agreed.

Quick Reply: A tip on Headlights