E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

tinting windows

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2006, 05:03 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by subterFUSE' post='278957' date='May 7 2006, 06:08 AM
50% realy isn't dark enough to do any good.
If you want tint, but don't want it dark looking.... just go with 35% on rear and doors.
When I said all around: I mean, rear doors, front doors, and "rear windows" I dont know the correct term for the rear - windshiled

I want the almost no tint look that some new cars come with. Like the Benz, acura...etc.
Old 05-07-2006, 06:20 AM
JDN
Contributors

Originally Posted by wingfan919' post='278857' date='May 6 2006, 07:23 PM
I live in Texas and drive a black car. Enough said. I need to have it done in the near future. I had to use my sleeve the other day to hold my steering wheel it was so hot. Ohh and not to mention it looks much better with tints.

Lets not forget the original purpose of tinting!

Does anyone know the legal aspect of tinting?

Does it vary from state to state?

Do people get the front windshield tinted along with the back window? I'm new at this. I'm from the Northeast where we don't tint unless it's an Escalade with 24's.
Hi, Michael. Here's the skinny:Texas Tint Law

I have always tinted here in Texas and before Texas. This time around I used Huper Optik applied by Pro Tint (Claudio) on Preston north of Campbell Road. Huper Optik is the coolest I have ever had although no as dark. Claudio has done a lot of Bimmers.
Old 05-07-2006, 10:39 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535d Sport, carbon black, media pack, visibility pack, grey leather, heated seats, sun protection glass, voice control, Eibach ProKit, 19" 166 style wheels, e-maps ECU remap to 325hp and 640NM, top speed limiter removed

In the UK, since 2004 you have to be careful.
Anything on the front side windows is officially illegal.

Getting pulled involves a fine and possibly being forced to remove them on the spot.
A lot of people still have them and have never reported problems with the plod, but it still is illegal.
A lot of the traffic units are equipped with light emission testers now.

I wouldn't go too dark, not to make it too obvious. rears are fine for any tint.

You can get an idea and the legislation from

www.pentagonglasstech.com
Old 05-07-2006, 03:31 PM
Members

My Ride: 2007 550i. Sapphire Black Metallic/Auburn Leather/Anthracite trim. Sport/Comfort Access/Navigation/Satellite/HD Radio/HUD/Premium Sound/M Aero Kit/with 50% tint sides & rear. 19" Style 166s.

Originally Posted by amigo525' post='278878' date='May 6 2006, 10:24 PM
Anyone was 50% all around? i like to see. I always wanted to tint...but I like something very very very light....50-60% will do it.
I'm with you. I plan to go with something very light as well. Obviously 50% or so. I too cannot find great pictures.

Occaisionally, I'll roll up on someone in the street with the really light stuff. Either I can't catch them to ask and confirm the % or it's someone else's car and they simply don't know.

Front window tint is against the law here in Michigan, and though I see hundreds of totally dark tinted cars driving around, I simply don't want to get a ticket. I do however want the tint though. So I'll risk it, but with something light.
Old 05-07-2006, 03:48 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 E63 AMG | Obsidian Black | Schwarzes Nappa | Black BirdEye Maple | Premium II Package | Electronic Trunk Closer | Parktronic Engine: RPi/Powerchips custom ECU tune, RPi Ram Air Kit (BMC filter, scoops), RennTech Sport exhaust, secondary cats, charcoal and resonator delete, custom AAA x-pipe Exterior: 50% side windows / 35% rear window Formula One Pinnacle Series | Flat AMG hood emblem Suspension: Renntech Lowering Module Wheels/Tires: Radenergie R10, Falken FK452 245/30/20, Yokohama ADVAN Sport 285/25/20 ----------------------------------------- 2005 545i Sport SMG | Ti Grau | Schwarzes Dakota | Anthracite Maple | Logic 7 | Nav Engine: Custom AFE CAI, Superchips ECU remap, Sprint Booster, RDSport Dual Exhaust Conversion with Quad Pipes and X-pipe, 3 resonators deleted, 90mm tips! Exterior: M-Tech Aero kit | M5 Mirrors | M5 Rear Bumper | Trunk Lid Finisher | Vorsteiner decklid spoiler | 50% Formula One Pinnacle Tint Suspension and Brakes: Bilstein PSS9 coilovers, JBT BBK: 16" cross-drilled rotors, 8 piston and 15" cross-drilled rotors, 4 piston Wheels: VIP Modular VR 02 20x9F, 20x10R | Toyo T1R 245/30/20F, 285/25/20R Lights: PIAA 4150K Xtreme White Plus fog lights, AIB v3 MOST IMPORTANT: Hardwired V1; =) ED Date: 4/7/05, Re-delivery date: 5/21/05

Originally Posted by amigo525' post='278878' date='May 6 2006, 07:24 PM
Anyone was 50% all around? i like to see. I always wanted to tint...but I like something very very very light....50-60% will do it.
Amigo525, checkout my gallery. My car is 50% all around. The picture that is "pinned" is not a correct representation. It looks darker than it really is. The best picture is the side picture. That will give you a good indication. I went with 50% b/c I'll have a less likelyhood of recieving a ticket from the police. And since my tint is ceramic, the heat rejection is fantastic.
Old 05-08-2006, 05:36 AM
Members

My Ride: 2007 530i SMG Jet Black/Beige Sport/Prem/Cold, comfort, split, shades.

I too am going with 50% all around...legal issue here in PA. I like the lighter tint anyway since is gives you a sense of depth.
Old 05-08-2006, 03:00 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by jiio' post='279151' date='May 7 2006, 05:48 PM
Amigo525, checkout my gallery. My car is 50% all around. The picture that is "pinned" is not a correct representation. It looks darker than it really is. The best picture is the side picture. That will give you a good indication. I went with 50% b/c I'll have a less likelyhood of recieving a ticket from the police. And since my tint is ceramic, the heat rejection is fantastic.
Thanks..i am about to do that. I scheduled an appointment to have my car tinted. Oh boy....me with tints..what is world is turning in to

Just saw your car! I think 55%-60% will give exactly the look i am looking for.
Old 05-10-2006, 07:06 AM
Members

Hi all, just some more info about tint as I note only one of you mentioned heat rejection. Aside from color/darkening of the windows, aka Visible Light Transmission VLT, there are another two functions that you may want to ask the dealer. The INFRARED rejection and the UV rejection. A darker tint doesn't normally get your better IR/UV rejection. Infact there are films wtih 90% VLT (hardly tinted) but with 90% plus IR/UV rejection rates. Think the general direction of this industry is to provide maximum IR/UV rejection accompanied by varied degree of VLT to conform with local regulations. Overall solar rejection will correlate positively with higher IR/UV rejection rather than degree of VLT.

I remember reading that 3M recently came up with a film that provides 100% IR/UV rejection. These high IR/UV rejection films are usually sputtered with metalized compounds. In the same vein, for those that have not used such film, driving at night for the first time needs some getting use to as on coming car headlights will appear to shear caused by metallized compounds in the film.

Anyways, UV rejection will also prolong the interior of you car especially if it has leather seats.

Hope this info helps
Cheers
Old 05-10-2006, 02:47 PM
Contributors

I went with 70% oh man...on the sun it looks with no tint..but when it is park..oh wow...it looks so cute..like if it has some small smoke!. Hard to explain but that is exactly what i wanted. No real tint..just a small illusion.
Old 05-10-2006, 07:24 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 E63 AMG | Obsidian Black | Schwarzes Nappa | Black BirdEye Maple | Premium II Package | Electronic Trunk Closer | Parktronic Engine: RPi/Powerchips custom ECU tune, RPi Ram Air Kit (BMC filter, scoops), RennTech Sport exhaust, secondary cats, charcoal and resonator delete, custom AAA x-pipe Exterior: 50% side windows / 35% rear window Formula One Pinnacle Series | Flat AMG hood emblem Suspension: Renntech Lowering Module Wheels/Tires: Radenergie R10, Falken FK452 245/30/20, Yokohama ADVAN Sport 285/25/20 ----------------------------------------- 2005 545i Sport SMG | Ti Grau | Schwarzes Dakota | Anthracite Maple | Logic 7 | Nav Engine: Custom AFE CAI, Superchips ECU remap, Sprint Booster, RDSport Dual Exhaust Conversion with Quad Pipes and X-pipe, 3 resonators deleted, 90mm tips! Exterior: M-Tech Aero kit | M5 Mirrors | M5 Rear Bumper | Trunk Lid Finisher | Vorsteiner decklid spoiler | 50% Formula One Pinnacle Tint Suspension and Brakes: Bilstein PSS9 coilovers, JBT BBK: 16" cross-drilled rotors, 8 piston and 15" cross-drilled rotors, 4 piston Wheels: VIP Modular VR 02 20x9F, 20x10R | Toyo T1R 245/30/20F, 285/25/20R Lights: PIAA 4150K Xtreme White Plus fog lights, AIB v3 MOST IMPORTANT: Hardwired V1; =) ED Date: 4/7/05, Re-delivery date: 5/21/05

Originally Posted by amigo525' post='280677' date='May 10 2006, 03:47 PM
I went with 70% oh man...on the sun it looks with no tint..but when it is park..oh wow...it looks so cute..like if it has some small smoke!. Hard to explain but that is exactly what i wanted. No real tint..just a small illusion.

What tint did you go with? SunTek, Huper Optik, Formula One, Llumar, Madico, Sun Gard? Oh, yeah... Where are the pics!!!

Quick Reply: tinting windows