E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Time for service.. Are my issues really normal?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2007, 06:58 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My Service light is now down to 50 miles. iDrive states that it needs a Vehicle Check. My dealer will not accept the car until iDrive is down to 0. :thumbsdown: BMW apparently changed the rules from 500 miles to 0 miles.

I've had the 04 545i SMG for a month now. I've noticed some minor issues that I want to bring to the dealers attention. I'm trying to figure out if it's really an issue.

1. Steering wheel rattles. I hear the rattling whenever I go over bumps. It's not a squeaking while turning noise.
2. SMG gear indicator seems to stay lit all the time. I noticed this at night when I looked in my car. The gear indicator on the console was illuminated. Is this a light, or is it a painted indicator?
3. Heated seat stays on. If I have the heated seat on and I turn off the car, exit, and come back in, the car remembers that the heat seat was on. I don't have a problem with that, I'm just wondering if it's normal.
4. Limited range with either key remote. Somtimes I can unlock the car from 100ft away, sometimes I have to be next to the car.
5. Buzzing sound from the engine bay when unlocking. There's a relay sound that makes a low frequency buzz when I unlock the car. I've been outside the car without touching anything and the buzzing goes on.

I think that's all the items that I consider quirks.

Thanks!

Chris
Old 03-13-2007, 08:20 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2001 BMW330ci, Steel Gray, Black leather, Steptronic, PP, SP, PDC, Heated seats, Xenon head lights, HK, 6 disk changer, OEM alarm, OEM clears,Iice white fog lights ,Universal trasnciver, 17 inch Michelin Pilot Sport Tires 2005 530i Titanium Gray,Black leather, Nav.,HUD,PP,CWP,SP,PDC,Xenon lights,Steptronic,Logic 7 sound system,,Fold down read seats,Power shades ON ORDER

Originally Posted by ctsang1234' post='402262' date='Mar 13 2007, 10:58 AM
My Service light is now down to 50 miles. iDrive states that it needs a Vehicle Check. My dealer will not accept the car until iDrive is down to 0. :thumbsdown: BMW apparently changed the rules from 500 miles to 0 miles.

I've had the 04 545i SMG for a month now. I've noticed some minor issues that I want to bring to the dealers attention. I'm trying to figure out if it's really an issue.

1. Steering wheel rattles. I hear the rattling whenever I go over bumps. It's not a squeaking while turning noise.
2. SMG gear indicator seems to stay lit all the time. I noticed this at night when I looked in my car. The gear indicator on the console was illuminated. Is this a light, or is it a painted indicator?
3. Heated seat stays on. If I have the heated seat on and I turn off the car, exit, and come back in, the car remembers that the heat seat was on. I don't have a problem with that, I'm just wondering if it's normal.
4. Limited range with either key remote. Somtimes I can unlock the car from 100ft away, sometimes I have to be next to the car.
5. Buzzing sound from the engine bay when unlocking. There's a relay sound that makes a low frequency buzz when I unlock the car. I've been outside the car without touching anything and the buzzing goes on.

Thanks!

Chris
# 3 If you have your seat heater or steering wheel heater on and you exit the car and then come back within a 15-20 minute time frame they will both stay on unless you turn them off manualy
cheers
vern
Old 03-13-2007, 08:37 AM
KAF
Contributors

My Ride: F11 535i M-Sport,, Silver, Black Leather, LED Adaptive headlights
Model Year: 2015
Engine: N55

5. Is the fuel pump priming. Normal.
Old 03-13-2007, 08:52 AM
Members

#4, I do not know if this is scientifically proven, but my remote key is definately affected by wireless ADSL router in my house. When it is on, range is a few feet, when it is off, range is 50 ft!!
Old 03-13-2007, 08:57 AM
KAF
Contributors

My remote has never worked from more than about 20ft away.
Old 03-13-2007, 09:05 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: New ride from 14th May�07: 525iA LCI, Sport Suspension, Deep Sea Blue, Leather Dakota Natural Brown, Hi-Gloss Black trim, Star Spoke 124 18", Comfort Seats with memory, M -steering wheel, Glass Roof, Navi Professional, ProLogic7, USB-connection, Bi-Xenon, Extended Air Condition, Auto dimming mirrors, Electric Folding mirrors, Bluetooth for Cell Phone Sony Ericsson K750i, Electric rear window shade, Ligth package, Speed control with brake function, Cup Holders, Automatic head light control, PDC, Shadow line

Originally Posted by ctsang1234' post='402262' date='Mar 13 2007, 04:58 PM

Thanks!

Chris
Hi,

all except number one are completely normal features.

Best regards,

TGII
Old 03-13-2007, 09:06 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

My Service light is now down to 50 miles. iDrive states that it needs a Vehicle Check. My dealer will not accept the car until iDrive is down to 0. :thumbsdown:
STRANGE POLICY

I HAVE THE SAME FEATURE IF THE SEAT HAS NOT HEATED ENOUGH OR BEEN TURED OFF

DEPENDS ON HOW MUCH RADIO INTERFEARENCE THERE IS

THIS IS NORMAL

Sorry for southing, had some problems with the color changes...
Old 03-13-2007, 09:56 AM
KAF
Contributors

Originally Posted by ctsang1234' post='402262' date='Mar 13 2007, 02:58 PM
Very strange, all mine has ever cared about is that the service indicator says 'service', this comes up showing 1500 miles for oil change and 2000 miles for service.
Old 03-13-2007, 10:05 AM
Contributors

Over here, service is accepted at 2000 kms, so around 1500 miles. Ask them this, if the say the brake pads are worn, will they wait until the iDrive says 0 miles? If so, can they guarantee that the sensors are 100% accurate? Because I'm sure those sensors are not 100% accurate, the brake pads maybe completely worn and you are going metal to metal, but the idrive says 100 or 50 miles, they won't accept that?? What if it ruined your brake disc? Will they replace it? How about engine oil, do they wait until its 0?? What if the oil has already lost all its lubricating use and it ruins your engine?? What will they say then? How can they be 100% sure that the sensors are 100% accurate?? Strange, I wouldn't let them off that easily, giving bull about 0 miles before service when the iDrive is already showing that the car needs service. They why didn't BMW make the car show that it needs service when the miles become 0???!! Anyways, good luck, but bring your car for service before your iDrive is at 0. Its safer that way, and its the right way!
Old 03-13-2007, 10:36 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by 525iSE' post='402306' date='Mar 13 2007, 08:05 PM
Over here, service is accepted at 2000 kms, so around 1500 miles. Ask them this, if the say the brake pads are worn, will they wait until the iDrive says 0 miles? If so, can they guarantee that the sensors are 100% accurate? Because I'm sure those sensors are not 100% accurate, the brake pads maybe completely worn and you are going metal to metal, but the idrive says 100 or 50 miles, they won't accept that?? What if it ruined your brake disc? Will they replace it? How about engine oil, do they wait until its 0?? What if the oil has already lost all its lubricating use and it ruins your engine?? What will they say then? How can they be 100% sure that the sensors are 100% accurate?? Strange, I wouldn't let them off that easily, giving bull about 0 miles before service when the iDrive is already showing that the car needs service. They why didn't BMW make the car show that it needs service when the miles become 0???!! Anyways, good luck, but bring your car for service before your iDrive is at 0. Its safer that way, and its the right way!

I'm with you, better safe than sorry.

What about when you are minus 50 miles or so and the BMW dealers says
- Sorry dude, you did bring your car into Service too late, your warranty is out.

Hey guys, use common sense!

Quick Reply: Time for service.. Are my issues really normal?