E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Is it time to sell my 535, and what do I get?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2022, 07:25 PM
New Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Is it time to sell my 535, and what do I get?

I feel like it’s time to sell my 08 535i. I’ve had it since 2012 with 52k and now have 94k. I work from home and have my wife’s 09 GL550. This car has cost a lot of money over the years, and I was thinking, what can I get for it now while it’s running well, before the next big expense and under 100k miles.

my problem is, there are not many cars I like besides German cars, and I wouldn’t want to spend a lot of cash, maybe 15k or so and hope I can eek out 7-9k from my car from a private sale. I feel most BMW’s are the same as what I got and I’m not fond of all the leaking and plastic crap BMW uses. I think I’ve done 3 tows for cooling system explosions in 40k miles! Not even sure I like any newer BMW besides maybe a 6 series gran coupe or m-sport 5 series.

What do people drive? I hear everyone say get a reliable Japanese car, it sounds so good, but they are all so Blah! In my entire adult life I never really owned a non German car! Reality is I have 2 kids, use the car as a backup for grocery runs, car pools and other odds and ends. We need 2 cars as one is probably either in the shop or on the way! LOL. Maybe I should sell both and buy a Honda Odyssey! Barf!
Old 10-02-2022, 07:53 PM
Administrator

Received 99 Likes on 95 Posts
My Ride: 530xi
Model Year: 2007
Engine: N52

Maybe try to find a nice E61 with low miles? One with MT would even be better.
Old 10-02-2022, 08:08 PM
Super Moderator

Received 311 Likes on 298 Posts
My Ride: 05 530i M54
Model Year: 05 530i
Engine: 3.0 M54

You seem to have had bad luck with your BMW. You said you got it in 2012 but what year is it. I have an 05 and have never had an issue that put me on side of the road. Honestly I think the key to owning a foreign car is preventive maintenance.

Of course there are things that happens out of our control but preventive maintenance helps minimize the possibility of breaking down. I think maybe your issue was thinking it was a car with under 100k on the dash instead of saying I have a 10+ year old car what should be replaced. Rubber, gaskets and plastics do not last forever on cars especially BMWs and when you understand that aspect then it helps owners understand what they should be doing. BMW ideal client is a rich customer who buys new, then dumps the car before the 4 year 50k mile warranty is up and buys another new one hence, all the plastic and all the major service that needs to be done starting around there. A lot of 2nd 3rd and 4th owners think since they are made in the US then the maintenance should be performed like an American or Japanese car which is the biggest mistake. I'm sure you've done your due diligence just trying to put things in perspective.

These cars are made to make money at initial sale and after the factory warranty by business design. At 50k the stress on the plastic, rubber and gaskets are at end of life which means time for preventive maintenance (BMW only needs to make the 1st owner happy for repeat business). Always replace everything on a system instead of the one thing that failed or about to fail. It saves time and money in the long run.

Saying all that I have never been ran away from BMW and decided to buy another one (17 X6). This new one will be a task keeping one the road because the N63TU is a problem in itself. I have taken safety measures to ensure I keep it on the road as long as possible but only time will tell

Last edited by seanjordan20; 10-02-2022 at 08:11 PM.
Old 10-02-2022, 11:21 PM
Super Moderator

Received 189 Likes on 184 Posts
My Ride: '06 530i N52

I've owned four BMWs thus far; and hasn't costed me much. The key is that I do 99-percent of my own repairs though. I can honestly say, if I did not do that, I would be so done with BMWs. I mean, going to the dealer or even an indy can cost a fortune with the tiniest repair. My e36 was costing me but obviously it was old.

Regardless of the mileage, your car is basically getting old.

No car will last forever, especially depending on how you drive it. I have driven Lamborghinis and they have problems too, a $450k vehicle.
Old 10-03-2022, 09:05 AM
New Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by seanjordan20
You seem to have had bad luck with your BMW. You said you got it in 2012 but what year is it. I have an 05 and have never had an issue that put me on side of the road. Honestly I think the key to owning a foreign car is preventive maintenance.

Of course there are things that happens out of our control but preventive maintenance helps minimize the possibility of breaking down. I think maybe your issue was thinking it was a car with under 100k on the dash instead of saying I have a 10+ year old car what should be replaced. Rubber, gaskets and plastics do not last forever on cars especially BMWs and when you understand that aspect then it helps owners understand what they should be doing. BMW ideal client is a rich customer who buys new, then dumps the car before the 4 year 50k mile warranty is up and buys another new one hence, all the plastic and all the major service that needs to be done starting around there. A lot of 2nd 3rd and 4th owners think since they are made in the US then the maintenance should be performed like an American or Japanese car which is the biggest mistake. I'm sure you've done your due diligence just trying to put things in perspective.

These cars are made to make money at initial sale and after the factory warranty by business design. At 50k the stress on the plastic, rubber and gaskets are at end of life which means time for preventive maintenance (BMW only needs to make the 1st owner happy for repeat business). Always replace everything on a system instead of the one thing that failed or about to fail. It saves time and money in the long run.

Saying all that I have never been ran away from BMW and decided to buy another one (17 X6). This new one will be a task keeping one the road because the N63TU is a problem in itself. I have taken safety measures to ensure I keep it on the road as long as possible but only time will tell
sorry, I might have not been clear enough in my post. I was really looking to see if there were any viable alternatives that people drive to move on from 5 series. My cars in reverse orders have been 08 535i,07 335i 6MT, 04 x3, 99 e36 M3, 92 535i, 88 Audi A4 Quattro. Also owned a 09ML550 for my wife prior to GL550.

anyhow, my 535i was a cpo car that had a slew of issues after cpo warranty that I was able to good will through BMW when they wanted to charge me over $6k. Since most problems have been the cooling system and oil leaks galore! I’m in chicago so the hot and cold I’m sure does numbers on it!

if there is an improvement with N55 maybe I’ll get an F10! My experience is these things drive great but leak like crazy and use WAY TOO MUCH Plastic because Bmw wants to be environmental conscience and use recycled materials. If not is there something else? If I was young and single, I would just drive M cars and be happy! No more stick for me, my wife forced me to drive auto so she can drive my car
too!

I’ve even started looking at a Porsche Macan or Audi, but I’m so far removed from Audi/Porsche to know how they are from a reliability stand point.

640 gran coupe would be my favorite

Last edited by Grubster; 10-03-2022 at 09:40 AM.