E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Time resets to zero on start-up

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 02:56 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Completely standard (but well specced) 530d 2006

Hello all,

We have been having some cold weather here in the UK.

On start-up, especially in the morning after a cold night, I get a warning chime and the time clock has reset to zero. My morning commute is about 40 mins but in the evening the car always starts as expected?

The date and all other information is present (radio stations, Nav history, mileage, mpg, trip etc).

Is this the early signs of a weak battery?
Old 02-07-2012, 04:21 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2007 530xi: Sport, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, HD Radio, SAT, Custom NCS coded options 2008 535xi: Sport, Night Vision, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, SAT, Custom NCS coded options, Rear Seat Heat Retrofit, Passport 9500ci
Model Year: 2008
Engine: N54

Originally Posted by Dan's BMW
Hello all,

On start-up, especially in the morning after a cold night, I get a warning chime and the time clock has reset to zero. My morning commute is about 40 mins but in the evening the car always starts as expected?

The date and all other information is present (radio stations, Nav history, mileage, mpg, trip etc).

yes - this is just your first warning
Old 02-07-2012, 04:42 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E60 530i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: M54

Hello all,

You are correct. It is the warning sign of weak battery. It happened to my 530i too. Soon or later you will encounter the difficult to start symptom.
Old 02-07-2012, 05:21 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535i Premium/Sport

Similar thing just happened to me to the point that the car would not start without a jump. I put a new battery in the car, and voila, all is right with the world again. BTW, please check out the battery threads if you want to save some $$$ and do it yourself.
Old 02-07-2012, 05:34 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i Jet Black on Black Leather, SAT with Paddles, Logic 7, Comfort Seats, NAV, Sport Package, PDC, Xenons, Sirius, Trinity 12W LED Angel Eyes, RPi GT Exhaust, M rear spoiler, ACS Roof Spoiler, Tinted Tail Lights, Bimmian Carbon Fiber Pillar Trim, Bimmian Shadow 550i emblem, RPi Scoop, E60 Forum Cling, Mtec bulbs in fog lights, Mtec 2W LED for License Plate Light Bulbs, K&N Filter, Bimmian LED Smoked Side Markers, Blackout roundels, Carbon Fiber Kidney Grills. Retired Rides - 1989 325i convertible, 1995 M3, 2002 X5, 2005 545i, 2008 X5 (Lemon)

Yup, it sounds like a failing battery!
Old 02-07-2012, 08:42 AM
Members

Thanks all.

I thought it would be the battery, especially with the cold overnight temps we have had recently.

I had a quick rummage around for ideas on whether DIY replacement was appropriate. Typically there is no definitive answer with regard to registering/coding!!!!!

I have the skills/tools to do it so I am inclined to go for it. I am going to rely on the histograms catching up with the new battery charge requirements. I think problems can be minimised if the old battery is fully charged before replacement and match like for like. As it is only identifying problems overnight and when cold I assume the old battery is not completely naff.
When I swapped the battery on the other car I was advised to maintain 12V so not to confuse sensors and maintain memory. Is this advisable for the BMW also? Wonder whether to connect a spare battery to the terminals under the bonnet while I (carefully) change the battery at the back?????
Old 02-07-2012, 08:55 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 530xi: Sport, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, HD Radio, SAT, Custom NCS coded options 2008 535xi: Sport, Night Vision, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, SAT, Custom NCS coded options, Rear Seat Heat Retrofit, Passport 9500ci

Thanks all.

I thought it would be the battery, especially with the cold overnight temps we have had recently.

I had a quick rummage around for ideas on whether DIY replacement was appropriate. Typically there is no definitive answer with regard to registering/coding!!!!!

I have the skills/tools to do it so I am inclined to go for it. I am going to rely on the histograms catching up with the new battery charge requirements. I think problems can be minimised if the old battery is fully charged before replacement and match like for like. As it is only identifying problems overnight and when cold I assume the old battery is not completely naff.
When I swapped the battery on the other car I was advised to maintain 12V so not to confuse sensors and maintain memory. Is this advisable for the BMW also? Wonder whether to connect a spare battery to the terminals under the bonnet while I (carefully) change the battery at the back?????
I disconnect mine all the time and never lose any settings. Having some adaptions in your transmission, etc reset might be a good thing.
Old 02-07-2012, 08:58 AM
Members

Cheers

That makes it a bit easier. What is you opinion on registering a battery if it is a like for like swap?????

The other car had a version of active steering. Loosing the setting sent the position sensor nuts!
Old 02-07-2012, 04:38 PM
Members

My Ride: 05 BMW 530I

I would get it registered. These cars can act crazy if its not. Probably not right away but eventually it will.
Old 02-07-2012, 06:20 PM
Senior Members

Cheers

... What is you opinion on registering a battery if it is a like for like swap?????

My opinion - if registering costs an extra $300+ from the dealer just buy a new battery in a few years IF your battery quits working.

Quick Reply: Time resets to zero on start-up