E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

time for new tires

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2006, 09:32 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 530D SPORT MEDIA PACKAGE, SITTING ON 19'S

hey guys,

that time is now upon me once again and i need your guys . i know this topic has probably been exhauseted but i need to replace both my rear tires on my 530d Sport and i need suggestions.

i am running the 19'' m172 wheels which came out the factory with the conti sport contact 2 (rear 275 30 19) the tires have lasted me 16000 miles and have been ok but every dealer i am speaking to is a little apprehensive regarding these tires <_< and have strongly advised me against them.

dont get me wrong i drive the car hard occasionally but most of the time i am happy just to stroll along and enjoy my pride and joy . when i am running the car hard they give way far to quickly under cornering for my likeing but apart from that oh and the road noise i have no complaints. The noise i am putting down to due end of there life.
i have three choices of tires

a: replace with Contis sport contacts 2 (same as b4)

b: Goodyear Eagle f1 (GS - D3)

c: Dunlop Sport Max

i am edging towards the Goodyears as they are getting great reviews i am not interested in the michelin pilot sports as i have had these tires on my other vehicle and although the grip was great they wore away a little to quickly for my likeing (8000 Miles)

i have spoken to alot of ppl and they reackon that the dunlop are great but again have the same problem as they are to soft a compound to be running on the rears i have to replace in 1 week or so and am in urgent need of your wise wisedom.

thanks

don
Old 10-31-2006, 10:25 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i - 6 speed manual (July 04 build), silver-grey/black, sports package std equipment (18", active roll, active steering, adaptive headlights), premium sound, bluetooth enabled, folding rear seat, lumbar, 3m hood/bumper protective film, rear tint, euro reflectors.

I have the sport contact 2's on 166m rims and I like them.

I drive 90% freeway and do get on them, on occasion when not on the freeway, but must be much less than you. I currently have 16k miles and should get another 10-15k out of them.

Much better than my original Dunlop run-flats.
Old 10-31-2006, 10:38 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Next spring I also have to buy new 18" 245/40's.

Whatever non RF's and premium brand is a good choice.

Bridgestone Potenza's won the last ADAC test.

Michelins are great but not in wet.
Old 10-31-2006, 12:01 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by DON -V-' post='350783' date='Oct 31 2006, 06:32 PM
a: replace with Contis sport contacts 2 (same as b4)
b: Goodyear Eagle f1 (GS - D3)
c: Dunlop Sport Max
You're in Scotland - get the F1's
Old 11-01-2006, 01:55 AM
Members

i will check the brigestones out but at the moment i think the goodyears are a favourite they are getting some great right ups does anyone have these tires on in the 19'' that can express there thoughts on it.
Old 11-01-2006, 02:54 AM
Members

My Ride: UK 2006 530D MSport. Auto, Silver Grey, Black Dakota, 172 19" Mixed Wheels, Visibility, Media Pack, Sun Protective Glass, Hi-Fi Speaker System, Heated Seats, Enhanced voice control, M Lip Spoiler.

I have the very same set-up and in a similar situation in a month or two. Will have done around 14K and the rears will be gone at least.

I have been really happy with the CS2's and was considering direct replacement..They are *******(very) expensive though! ?300 a piece for the rears at Kwik-Fit..! I reckon I'll change the car, it'll be cheaper!

Top tip! Make sure they use the nylon blade and clamps on the tyre remover! Don't want those 19" 172's ruining! I had a puncture repaired by Kwik-fit a few weeks back....Top job, after I pointed out that the wheel was more important than the Shroud of Turin!!
Old 11-01-2006, 07:07 AM
Members

Originally Posted by spareone3' post='351108' date='Nov 1 2006, 11:54 AM
I have the very same set-up and in a similar situation in a month or two. Will have done around 14K and the rears will be gone at least.

I have been really happy with the CS2's and was considering direct replacement..They are *******(very) expensive though! ?300 a piece for the rears at Kwik-Fit..! I reckon I'll change the car, it'll be cheaper!

Top tip! Make sure they use the nylon blade and clamps on the tyre remover! Don't want those 19" 172's ruining! I had a puncture repaired by Kwik-fit a few weeks back....Top job, after I pointed out that the wheel was more important than the Shroud of Turin!!

hey mate

i know what u mean but that is far to dear for the contis sport contact 2 kwick fit offereed me the rears for ?180 fitted and balanced actually most of the tires are the same price i thought the goodyears were actually rather good at that price my local bmw dealer quoted me ?229 plus VAT for the tires i will let you know how i get on but if you r still getting those quotes from kwick fit let me know i will send u my bill so u can show them and get a price match done failing that phone anywhere in glasgow kwick fit they will quote u the same price

let me know how u get on

cheers

don