E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Is it time for injector cleaner?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2011, 03:32 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As the RPMs increase, right at about 2200 RPM there is a slight hesitation. I notice it mostly in 2nd and 3rd gear (6speed manual) as I accelerate--not crazy, but I do like to feel the pull. It was more noticable a couple of months ago, but I had to take it in for another issue. Some software modules were upgraded and it improved. But I still notice it.

It feels like it may be in the fuel delivery system. COuld it possibly be a dirty O2 sensor at the intake (if I look back I can almost imagine it happening soon after I installed the K&N performance air filter).

Thanks
Old 11-10-2011, 04:49 PM
Contributors

Did you over oil the K&N?
Old 11-10-2011, 05:38 PM
Members

My Ride: Titanium Silver 2008 550i 6MT. Matte black grille and numbers. Carbon roundels. Eibach springs and sway bars. Bilstein struts. UUC SSK. Smoked LED side markers.

O2 sensors are not in the intake. I think you mean the MAF (mass air flow) sensor. There are some spray MAF sensor cleaners out there that you can try. I've never used them, so I cannot vouch for their effectiveness. Another cause might be carbon build up on the valves. There is always the "Italian Tune-up"-driving around in a low gear at high RPMs for a while to burn off the carbon, or use an cleaner like sea foam.
Old 11-10-2011, 06:43 PM
Members

Originally Posted by luigi524td
Did you over oil the K&N?
It was right out of the box
Old 11-10-2011, 06:45 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Qper2007
O2 sensors are not in the intake. I think you mean the MAF (mass air flow) sensor. There are some spray MAF sensor cleaners out there that you can try. I've never used them, so I cannot vouch for their effectiveness. Another cause might be carbon build up on the valves. There is always the "Italian Tune-up"-driving around in a low gear at high RPMs for a while to burn off the carbon, or use an cleaner like sea foam.
There is a great DIY on how to do it on this forum. I will have to look for it. I was wondering if the dirty MAF sensor could be the culprit.
Old 11-11-2011, 06:46 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i, 6-speed Manual, Silver Grey Metallic, Grey Dakota Leather, Cold Weather Pkg, Premium Sound Pkg, Sport Pkg, Lumbar Support

Originally Posted by mwolfe
As the RPMs increase, right at about 2200 RPM there is a slight hesitation. I notice it mostly in 2nd and 3rd gear (6speed manual) as I accelerate
Okay, maybe the 550 has more torque than the 545, but I can't imagine expecting much of a pull at 2200 rpm in 2nd and 3rd gear. When I'm shifting that low, it is just a leisurely pace I'm going for. Let's say you are looking for pull, then I shift at 5500 (peak of the torque curve) and then the next gear comes in at 3500 or so. Above 3500, you are also opening up your second exhaust pipe, getting more power and sound.

I'd say you need to get the revs up and get those valves cleaned off!!!
Old 11-11-2011, 06:52 AM
Members

Good point. I do admit that I have been "short shifting " more often-- I have been told and have experienced better gas mileage. But I am still experiencing the lag-- I don't think that is normal. Maybe I should get my EPM higher to burn off some carbon.
Old 11-11-2011, 09:08 AM
Members

definitely recommend the seafoam, and see what happens.
Old 11-11-2011, 01:37 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

Originally Posted by Qper2007
The lambda probes (O2 sensors) can definitely cause issues because this car is electronic, so do not rule that out! It's not a toyota.

OP- The best thing to do is get a set of diagnostic tools and save yourself some money in buying all these things hoping it will fix your issue. Could be many things, CCV, DISA, Sparkplugs, MAFS, Air intake tubing, Air filter, Lamba Probes, vaccum leak, etc etc.... Take your air filter out and take some of the factory oil off, it's way too oiled for a BMW. These MAFS are touchy. But give us some stats because with out your car's stats or history I cannot help you much.
Old 11-11-2011, 02:24 PM
Members

Originally Posted by AchtungE60
...get a set of diagnostic tools...

Any recommendations? (yes, please save me from wading through several years of posts regarding diagnostic tools...)

Quick Reply: Is it time for injector cleaner?