E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Ticking noise N52....

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2010, 12:11 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all noticing this ticking noise from my car...its like tick tick tick...happens even when engine is warm. 37k miles gets driven 18 miles a day and more on weekends so around 150 miles a week.

I made a video to show the ticking noise... the video was made after the car had run for 1 hour...engine was at operating temperature.....and had driven 26 miles to the dot.

Old 11-13-2010, 01:31 PM
Members

Does the noise go away as the revs rise?

To me, coming from an E39 M5 - that sounds just like standard Vanos noise.

Old 11-13-2010, 02:48 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: I have a 2007 Black Sapphire BMW 530i with SMG. It has the auburn interior, has PDC, Sports Package, Premium Package, rear automatic sunshades with manual side sunshades, 35% black tint, Upgraded angeleyes from Angelibrights, and Logic 7 Sound System
Model Year: 2007

what is vanos? I have the same sound and I just figured that it was kind of normal...kind of worried now!
Old 11-13-2010, 06:26 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '06 550i '84 Nissan S12 Turbo

Sounds like the sound injectors make when they pulse to me...but hard to tell in the vid
Old 11-14-2010, 07:42 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2007 E60 530i 6 Speed Silver Gray
Model Year: 2007
Engine: N52

Its your lifters. Drive the car A LOT MORE!!! The noise will go away
Old 11-14-2010, 08:57 AM
Senior Members

The car gets driven a lot and it never goes away ...I saw a post by user "Diamond"...but he is a troll...and he stated that they replaced his entire cylinder head.
Old 11-14-2010, 09:19 AM
Senior Members

I think it sounds like the injectors cycling too.
Old 11-14-2010, 09:51 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2007 530xi: Sport, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, HD Radio, SAT, Custom NCS coded options 2008 535xi: Sport, Night Vision, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, SAT, Custom NCS coded options, Rear Seat Heat Retrofit, Passport 9500ci
Model Year: 2008
Engine: N54

I don't think it is "normal" at all. When I first picked up my '07 530 the it was ticking like that and never went away - pretty embarrasing sound actually. I talked to my SA about it, they worked on the lifters under warranty and I have not had the ticking since.

I have purchased a second 07 530 - it was ticking when I first looked at the car on the lot. After it warmed up it went away.

But mine isn't an '08 so what do I know?

Edit: Just went out to listen to mine. I do have that low level "ticking" that seems to match niel.d's video but it is not the same as I had when I had the lifters worked on. I agree - kinda hard to tell from your video if I am hearing the same thing.

How about this - if you hear the ticking with the hood closed then perhaps you should have the lifters looked at. If you only hear it with the hood open then consider it the "normal" sort of ticking??

- Jim
Old 11-14-2010, 11:52 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by NoQuarter
I don't think it is "normal" at all. When I first picked up my '07 530 the it was ticking like that and never went away - pretty embarrasing sound actually. I talked to my SA about it, they worked on the lifters under warranty and I have not had the ticking since.

I have purchased a second 07 530 - it was ticking when I first looked at the car on the lot. After it warmed up it went away.

But mine isn't an '08 so what do I know?

Edit: Just went out to listen to mine. I do have that low level "ticking" that seems to match niel.d's video but it is not the same as I had when I had the lifters worked on. I agree - kinda hard to tell from your video if I am hearing the same thing.

How about this - if you hear the ticking with the hood closed then perhaps you should have the lifters looked at. If you only hear it with the hood open then consider it the "normal" sort of ticking??

- Jim
Hey jim I just met up with my friend who has a 330xi 06 with the N52 engine and his ticking is very obvious under the hood...mine is not that obvious but you can still hear it with the hood closed.

I just drove the car around rough and now the ticking noise is barely audible but you can still here it......? I think I am going to still have BMW check it out.
Old 12-01-2010, 07:01 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 528i

Originally Posted by aretardedorange
The car gets driven a lot and it never goes away ...I saw a post by user "Diamond"...but he is a troll...and he stated that they replaced his entire cylinder head.

My 528i had the lifters replaced and that did not solve my ticking noise. It is currently at the dealer getting the Cyl Head replaced. My ticking was at start up and if the car sat and idled for awhile it would tick. Kind of embarrassing for a $50k car...

Quick Reply: Ticking noise N52....