E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Ticking N52 engine people

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2009, 07:34 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey guys, just wondering if anyone here went ahead and got their cylinder head/valve train replaced for the new updated one on the n52 engine? Is anyone else new who missed my post months ago having severe ticking with their engine, specifically the n52? If so search around and read about the known problem of Lifter ticking, caused by oil not gettin to the lifters consistently, a known flaw by bmw and now replaced under warranty by a re-designed cylinder head complete with all valvles and valve train components.

I had mine done months ago and so far so good. I still get a ticking once and awhile but pretty much all Bimmers do get that at one point or another. What I was going to add today are two tips I learned.

1. Make sure your oil is completely full to spec. I know my car burns oil about 1 quart every few months if driven hard. Check your idrive and make sure it is at max if not add oil.
2.Bleed your own lifters. Per the bmw CIP their procedure to remedy lifter tick is the lifter bleed-which is simply keeping the revs at 3k for 3 minutes while in neutral, after engine is up to temperature. Repeat 2 or 3 times as needed until lifter tick is gone. They go on to suggest keeping revs at 3k for 15 minutes if that does not work-however I do not suggest doing this-IMO this long is not heaolthy for an engine.

I noticed a bit of ticking coming back but much much more mild then ever before and bled these for 3 minutes at 3k and has been completely gone. What bleeding does the same was when you soak lifters in oil for 24 hours before installing them-this soaks the lifter so oil gets into every piece, spring and space of the lifter. This is the prolbem with the existing design, there is not enough oil flow to the lifters so it is impossible to keep the oil pressure high enough to keep them completely full of oil-the new head fixed this but still as I said bmw's have a tendency to do this.

The performance is also much improved from the new head-revs faster and smoother, I had engin hesitation before when stomping the pedal which is completely gone, and car is much quicker.