E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ticking engine resolved with brand new engine!

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 02:48 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I took my car to the dealer in December for a ticking noise in the passenger side of the engine. They fixed some vacuum pump and it did not cure the problem. I then took it back on or around January 11 and my car has been in the shop since then. They then replaced all the lifters and valvetrain parts but the tech said he was still hearing the noise. BMW then asked them to do various experiments such as changing the oil to a thicker grade and replacing some more parts which did not solve the problem. Meanwhile Nalley BMW gave me a brand new 2010 528 to drive and it now has 6k miles on it.

A month ago, BMW finally authorized a complete tear down of the engine and they found out that a couple of connecting rod bearings were worn out, giving enough play to cause the noise. Being that they have already spent enough money to experiment on several repairs, they decided to put in a new motor. Today, I was invited to see the damaged engine and My SA did not even know that they had authorized the new engine. So while we were looking at the damaged engine, the foreman said, Yeah I have a new engine in the box that just arrived yesterday" At that point I tuned myself off from caring about what happened to the old engine and got so excited about the new engine.

So, much thanks to my SA, Justin and the foreman, Wes, who personally worked on the car, while being patient with BMWNA's slow process.

My car is a CPO which expires in April 2011. I was going to sell it before that time but I now intend to keep for 3 more years because the new engine has a 2 year unlimited mileage warranty.

Sorry about the very poor iphone pictures
Old engine

New V8 in box

Old 05-11-2010, 02:53 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i Sport 6 speed Manual

how many miles were on the engine, what kind of oil did you use, what change intervals?

thanks
Old 05-11-2010, 02:54 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Not too shabby... new car to drive... brand new engine... worth the wait i guess... glad the outcome was in your favor.
Old 05-11-2010, 02:57 PM
Members

Originally Posted by response_surface
how many miles were on the engine, what kind of oil did you use, what change intervals?

thanks
54k miles. Oil change intervals were according to BMW recommendation, every 15k miles. I did it in 6k miles but the previous followed BMW guidelines. All service was done at BMW, so they used BMW's oil. They checked my service records and they were satisfied with it.
Old 05-11-2010, 02:58 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by response_surface

thanks
Yea ... the OP got lucky ... BMW knows that engine damage can result from too frequent oil changes.
Old 05-11-2010, 02:59 PM
Members

Originally Posted by EBMCS03
Not too shabby... new car to drive... brand new engine... worth the wait i guess... glad the outcome was in your favor.
Thanks, I can't wait to drive a V8 again, I am getting tired of being roasted by Camrys.
Old 05-11-2010, 03:05 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by luigi524td
Yea ... the OP got lucky ... BMW knows that engine damage can result from too frequent oil changes.
What?! This can't be serious..
Old 05-11-2010, 03:25 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2010 M5 alpine white, black full leather, etc.

I think BMW actually does want their vehicles to work properly. Over the years both BMWNA and individual dealers have, for the most part, stepped up to the plate and solved major issues for me. In one case, an engine@40,000 miles. In another a complete brake job two thousand miles out of the warranty period. It's good to hear from you that the company continues to do what needs to be done for the customer.
Old 05-11-2010, 08:31 PM
Members

BMW really does have the best customer service.

When our 2009 535i had a HPFP problem, it was replaced three times, they gave us a brand new 2010 model without any fuss.

We loved BMW before this because of the quality of the product but now were lifers because of their customer service.

Glad your problem was solved, enjoy your "new" car.
Old 05-11-2010, 10:10 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 E60 523 executive 20"ASA / Bi-Xenon / Full M-tech / LED Angel Eyes / Matte Black Kidney's / LED Side Markers

I definitely don't agree on BMW having the best service around, but what the heck...

You got a brand new V8 good call to keep the car for a while...have fun!!

Quick Reply: Ticking engine resolved with brand new engine!