E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Three times in a row !! Very disgusting

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2007, 06:38 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: In a place where the Mercedes density is the highest in the world (no. of MB per square kilometer) I choose a Bimmer, why? because of one thing "The Ultimate Driving Experience" My Ride: 523i Steptronic, Silver Grey Exterior, Black Interior with Black Dakota Leather and Maple Wood Trim. Chrome Grill, Style 123 rim, Airbags everywhere, PDC, Rain sensor, Auto lights, Moveable front armrest, Advance Climate Control, Glass Sunroof, Auto dimming interior and exterior mirror with foldable functions, Extended Lights package, 6 CD changer in glove box, Power seats with memory, Power adjustable steering wheel, Power rear sunblinds. Add ons: 123 wheels, chrome grill, K&N Hi flow filter, Eibach Pro Kit, e60.net decal and 24,000km Past rides: 2001 Nissan Xterra SE 1999 E39 523i 1999 E46 323i 1996 Acura Integra LS

Sounds to me like bad luck. Doesn't have anything to do with RFT or not.

As for the question about repairing a puncture on a RFT, I've done it. They just pull the screw out and plug the tire, all done on a floor jack without even taking the tire off.

I've driven alot miles since then and have no problem at all.
Old 01-31-2007, 06:38 AM
KAF
Contributors

My Ride: F11 535i M-Sport,, Silver, Black Leather, LED Adaptive headlights
Model Year: 2015
Engine: N55

Originally Posted by aybeesea' post='385749' date='Jan 31 2007, 10:14 AM
You COULD get an improvement in ride quality.

It depends on the profile of the tyre.

ABC

On a like for like basis there is no maybe about it, for the same size and profile you WILL get an improvement in ride and grip, but slightly less sharp feel to the turn in.
Old 01-31-2007, 06:51 AM
Members

Most independent tyre places repair runflats, the ones I have been to do anyway. As long as there is no sidewall damage , as applies to normal tyres. I cannot see any harm in it, as long as you are sensible. If it is a slow puncture & not driven too far then it will be OK. But if it has been used over a longer distance with a substantial pressure drop then it is bound to be damaged so dont do it!.
I tend to agree that RFTs are more prone to punctures. I dont recall ever having one before, but 3 in my 1st year with RFT.
Old 01-31-2007, 06:56 AM
Members

My Ride: 530i 2006 alpine white decota beige interior, GPS, Active steer, Adaptive lamps,rear blinds electric,side blinds

As far as my knowledge goes it is not at all recommended to have repairs done on RFT.It is specifically mentioned in the tyre manufatcturer brochure.It can eventually damage your wheels.But then its really sad dumping a brand new tyre in the garbage just because of a small puncture.Can I replace only the punctured RFT with a normal tyre use it with other three RFTs?
Old 01-31-2007, 07:10 AM
KAF
Contributors

My Ride: F11 535i M-Sport,, Silver, Black Leather, LED Adaptive headlights
Model Year: 2015
Engine: N55

Originally Posted by jay_menon' post='385821' date='Jan 31 2007, 03:56 PM
As far as my knowledge goes it is not at all recommended to have repairs done on RFT.It is specifically mentioned in the tyre manufatcturer brochure.It can eventually damage your wheels.But then its really sad dumping a brand new tyre in the garbage just because of a small puncture.Can I replace only the punctured RFT with a normal tyre use it with other three RFTs?

NO NO NO !

They feel and handle quite differently, either change them all or replace like with like, you risk losing control of your car and almost certainly invalidating your insurance.
Old 01-31-2007, 07:22 AM
Members

My Ride: 530i 2006 alpine white decota beige interior, GPS, Active steer, Adaptive lamps,rear blinds electric,side blinds

Originally Posted by KAF' post='385830' date='Jan 31 2007, 11:10 AM
NO NO NO !

They feel and handle quite differently, either change them all or replace like with like, you risk losing control of your car and almost certainly invalidating your insurance.
Thanks KAF for that insight.I woudnt dare do it now.
Old 01-31-2007, 08:15 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E61 535d Apr 05. UK spec + Media Pack, Luxury Pack & Visibility Pack

Originally Posted by KAF' post='385809' date='Jan 31 2007, 03:37 PM
There is no obvious reason why an RFT should be more prone to punctures, but it is a pain having to buy new tyres as no reputable shop will repair them.
Perhaps the greater stiffness (but not hardness) of the tyre means that it's easier for sharp objects to penetrate?
Old 01-31-2007, 09:37 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i, 6-speed Manual, Silver Grey Metallic, Grey Dakota Leather, Cold Weather Pkg, Premium Sound Pkg, Sport Pkg, Lumbar Support

I picked up a screw in my runflat Dunlop and drove home and parked it as soon as I got the tire warning (FTM). The tire pressure had only dropped to 32 psi, so I was interested in repairing it vs. buying a new tire. If the tire had gone flat and I had driven many miles in the "flat" condition, then I might have opted to buy a new tire due to stress on the sidewall. As it was, the only issue I had was finding a shop that could reliably remove and mount runflats. Used a Big-O tire chain store and they did it for $25. I removed the tire from the car and carried the wheel assy to the store rather than drive the car to them.
Old 01-31-2007, 10:08 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Estoril Blue 440i GC
Model Year: 2017

My local tyre shop won't even look at repairing runflats.
His take on the subject was that although plugs are "approved" for non-runflats, they haven't been "approved" for use in a run-flat tyre.
He says that if the plugged RFT was in use and correctly inflated, then the plug is OK, BUT if another puncture occurred, the plug would then be effectively used in a tyre that was flat, which the plug isn't designed to cope with, hence it's not suitable. It may be just a matter of paperwork suitability, and finding a "tame" tyre shop to plug the RFT.
My solution was to junk the RFT's and get a better handling, quieter and more stable car - but my tyres were 75% gone anyway, so it wasn't a difficult decision.

BTW I found out that I had a puncture (a six inch nail) when the Dealer was replacing my wheels. There had been no loss of pressure beforehand, and it still kept up pressure when it was put back on! Frightening to think that I could have been running at high speed with a big nail in the tyre!
Old 01-31-2007, 10:15 AM
Senior Members

I work at a recycling company and have nt yet had a flat *cross fingers* screws and sharp objects abounds

Quick Reply: Three times in a row !! Very disgusting