E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Thoughts/opinions on a few cars

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2013, 08:38 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: e39
Default Thoughts/opinions on a few cars

I've been shopping for a replacement for my recently sold E39 M5 and want to get another 5 series, specifically in E60 format. I've read alot on this board and other boards recently and want to summarize in 1 thread what I've read and see if there's additional opinions.

My car requirements:
- must be manual transmission
- due to budget constraints, likely won't have any warranty left (looking at 06-08 cars).
- prefer to have navi, but not a big deal if it doesn't
- prefer to have backup sensors

Other notes:
- I am not looking for a direct replacement for my old M5, but don't mind something close. I'm more concerned about finding a good clean car.
- gas consumption isn't a major factor, but maintenance down time is (I'm a DIY person)
- I'm in Canada

I read that it's near impossible to re-sell a manual transmission 5 series. It looks to be true since the car lots near me have had their's in inventory for months. I plan to keep the car 2-3 years at most.

Try to buy an 08+ LCI model. I've found a non-lci 2007 530 (manufactured in May 2006), 93k miles, in good shape with service records and recently BMW dealership inspection/service, it even has the lease return inspection report. It is missing Navi (no big deal) and back up sensors, but it has the sport package. Less gadgets will have less to break, right?

Will I notice the difference between a LCI 528 and non-LCI-530 in terms of power? I drove the 530 so far and I'm satisfied with how it performs as a daily driver, but don't mind a newer car if I won't kick myself later because I can't merge nicely on freeways.

I've tracked down a pre-LCI 550i with manual tranny + sport pack, 75k miles, all service records. I've read about how people never had issues with their 550, and on the flip side people who had lots of problems. What's the outlook with the 550 hitting over 100k miles, will it fall apart and leave me broke/wrenching every weekend?
Old 05-06-2013, 10:46 AM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2009 535i Sport
Model Year: 2009
Engine: N54

I noticed an 08-09 (or 10 MY E60) 535i wasn't on the list - any particular reason?
Old 05-06-2013, 11:35 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2008 550i w/M-Tech, Sport and Cold Weather Pkg

@gta5

I'll give you a couple thoughts as I recently bought my 08 550i w/ sport, nav, auto, basically the works. When I was looking I specifically targeted the e60 BMW as you are doing. Replacing a M5 is a little different than my scenario as I wanted the feel of a BMW V8 again after getting rid of my last one 6 years ago (e39 540i) and getting stuck driving an 06 300C (well this one was kind of fun as well), an 06 Grand Cherokee and an 08 Maxima SE for the past couple of years. I cannot speak about car prices in Canada or your price range as you didn't mention it but I know you can pick up 08 550's (LCI) with a manual transmission for in the $25-26k range around here. Do you have Carmax in Canada or anything similiar? If so have then find you one and ship it to you, thats what they do down here.
As for the e60 I love it, some have had issues and some have not. I think you are right to look for a car with service records although I wasn't so worried about mine because there isnt a lot of service done before 60k on these cars (4 oil changes). The warranty repairs you can always have a BMW dealer run the vin to see if anything excessive was ever done. I think if you are DIY'er you will take the time to maintain your car (as well as mod or upgrade) and you'll most likely be very happy with whatever you choose. I wouldn't worry about getting over 100k either as they are not going to fall apart, especially if you have invested some elbow grease in the car. Just my .02 cents but I love my car and I'm still just getting to know it!
Old 05-06-2013, 11:55 AM
New Members

My Ride: e39

Originally Posted by LessIsMore
I noticed an 08-09 (or 10 MY E60) 535i wasn't on the list - any particular reason?
I've been searching for a few weeks, and have only seen one manual transmission 535 up here and it was a good 5 hour drive away. I want to buy something local so I can check it out, drive it, get it inspected. I'd gladly add a 535 to the list if they were more available here.

Originally Posted by ditka550
I cannot speak about car prices in Canada or your price range as you didn't mention it but I know you can pick up 08 550's (LCI) with a manual transmission for in the $25-26k range around here. Do you have Carmax in Canada or anything similiar? If so have then find you one and ship it to you, thats what they do down here.
Hey, thanks for your input. I specifically didn't mention prices since the market is different up here, just looking at the specific models right now. I don't want to import a normal (meaning it's not some exotic or limited production model) car from the USA if it's available here.
Old 05-06-2013, 03:11 PM
New Members

My Ride: BMW K1200rs

As far as importation goes it's not that difficult unless you are talking Merc or BMW !
The reason being is that they have both over the years have built up a much greater profit margin and they'll do anything to protect it!
THe things that they throw at you is instrument cluster change form Mph to Kmph. How does $5000 sound reasonable ?
Yes we continue to get screwed but we have free health care!
The only thing frightening about that statement is how many people think it's true.