E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Thoughts of defection... should I? would you?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2006, 12:26 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by silver bullet' post='314000' date='Jul 22 2006, 01:45 PM
That is pretty much exactly the review I would give it. Anyway, I know what you mean that it does feel underpowered. The 911 has never been all about power, but it does seem a bit disappointing really.

A 997S does 0-60 in 3.9 seconds and is underpowered?

I feel like I just stepped into an alternative universe.
Old 07-22-2006, 12:31 PM
Contributors

every time i think about changing my car i feel the same..what is wrong that i always come back to bmw. Are there any other cars out there?

I saw the new porsche (cayman???) oh ...it is a sweet car. If i can not make up my mind...11/10/07..her i come. Lease due on 11/07.
Old 07-22-2006, 02:16 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '06 550i 6 Speed MT, Navigation, PDC, Cold Weather Pkg, Logic7, Prem Pkg, Sport Pkg, Active Steering, Comfort Seats, Comfort Access, HUD, Alpine White on Black Dakota & a Big Grin ;-) <---- On the vessel from Germany... ******** '05 545i 6 Speed MT, Navigation, PDC, Cold Weather Pkg, Logic7, Prem Pkg, Sport Pkg, UUC EVOIII SSK, Silver Gray on Black Dakota..... (Buy back by BMW NA)

Originally Posted by LowOrbit' post='314011' date='Jul 22 2006, 03:26 PM
A 997S does 0-60 in 3.9 seconds and is underpowered?

I feel like I just stepped into an alternative universe.

I wish - More like 4.6 (By Porsche's website)

3.7 is the 997 Twin Turbo S.

Old 07-22-2006, 02:44 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Gadgets' post='314040' date='Jul 22 2006, 04:16 PM
I wish - More like 4.6 (By Porsche's website)

3.7 is the 997 Twin Turbo S.

Gadgets, you are right, but Porsche and BMW are notoriously conservative on their times. I was using Road & Track's March '05 Carrera S 0-60 times. This 3.9 time seems reasonable as R&T just got a 4.1 second time from the heavier 997 4S. Oh yeah, those 911s are fast little suckers!

BMW website says 5.5 seconds for 550i vs. R&T's 5.0 time.
Old 07-22-2006, 03:04 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '06 550i 6 Speed MT, Navigation, PDC, Cold Weather Pkg, Logic7, Prem Pkg, Sport Pkg, Active Steering, Comfort Seats, Comfort Access, HUD, Alpine White on Black Dakota & a Big Grin ;-) <---- On the vessel from Germany... ******** '05 545i 6 Speed MT, Navigation, PDC, Cold Weather Pkg, Logic7, Prem Pkg, Sport Pkg, UUC EVOIII SSK, Silver Gray on Black Dakota..... (Buy back by BMW NA)

Originally Posted by LowOrbit' post='314042' date='Jul 22 2006, 05:44 PM
Gadgets, you are right, but Porsche and BMW are notoriously conservative on their times. I was using Road & Track's March '05 Carrera S 0-60 times. This 3.9 time seems reasonable as R&T just got a 4.1 second time from the heavier 997 4S. Oh yeah, those 911s are fast little suckers!

BMW website says 5.5 seconds for 550i vs. R&T's 5.0 time.

I'm going on a second test drive this week, (No rain & no traffic hopefully) and will do some runs myself...
Old 07-22-2006, 04:32 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Gadgets' post='314046' date='Jul 22 2006, 04:04 PM
I'm going on a second test drive this week, (No rain & no traffic hopefully) and will do some runs myself...
Here is my garage:

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=20949&hl=

My thoughts on the 997S. I love the car when driving it for the weekned but for daily driver no way. If it were an automatic I would reconsider it. Electronics wise you will miss bluetooth, nav and other goodies that the 550 has. I am 5'6" and still cannot find the perfect seat position in the CS. The CS will make you fall in love with it very fast but as time wears on you will tire of it. Most 911 owners rarely keep their cars for very long after the initial love affair wears off. I have done some amazing driving in the CS that few other cars could do, it is a pure sports car.

some of the negatives are:

Hard to find a comfy position without my legs hitting the bottom dash
Seat position to low for drive up windows or ATM machines
Hard to get in and out of
Scraps most drive ways
Watch curbs when pulling up to store fronts or side curbing
Electronics is out dated
Rough on small bumps but not crazy rough like the 996 models
Stick shift is bad in high traffic
No storage but thats expected
Cannot go through car washes
Can be to loud when you are not in the mood and want some peace and quiet in the car

Positives are:
Amazing driving experience
Sweet sounds from engine
Better stereo than BMW550
Nice interior lay out for quick glances
Decent cup holders for a sports car better than the 650 cup holders
Really reliable and low maintenance
back seats are really not bad for people that are 5'7" and below for quick jaunts.
Get looks all the time

If I were you seriously drive the 911 in high traffic dont just go for a joy ride because you know 80-90 percent of your driving is city not on the autobhan. If you test drive it on the highway you will fall in love with it immediately because the faster you drive it the smoother it feels. This will give you a false impression of what the car will be like on daily basis. Go through crowded parking lots and hit some speed bumps, park in tight spaces, roll over some expansion joints, go up drive ways and etc. I think everyone should deserve the chance to own one of these legendary cars. Next time I will probably get a steptronic version with convertable top or go with the Merc SL550.
Old 07-27-2006, 07:12 AM
Members

Originally Posted by TV550' post='314057' date='Jul 22 2006, 07:32 PM
Here is my garage:

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=20949&hl=

My thoughts on the 997S. I love the car when driving it for the weekned but for daily driver no way. If it were an automatic I would reconsider it. Electronics wise you will miss bluetooth, nav and other goodies that the 550 has. I am 5'6" and still cannot find the perfect seat position in the CS. The CS will make you fall in love with it very fast but as time wears on you will tire of it. Most 911 owners rarely keep their cars for very long after the initial love affair wears off. I have done some amazing driving in the CS that few other cars could do, it is a pure sports car.

some of the negatives are:

Hard to find a comfy position without my legs hitting the bottom dash
Seat position to low for drive up windows or ATM machines
Hard to get in and out of
Scraps most drive ways
Watch curbs when pulling up to store fronts or side curbing
Electronics is out dated
Rough on small bumps but not crazy rough like the 996 models
Stick shift is bad in high traffic
No storage but thats expected
Cannot go through car washes
Can be to loud when you are not in the mood and want some peace and quiet in the car
Positives are:
Amazing driving experience
Sweet sounds from engine
Better stereo than BMW550
Nice interior lay out for quick glances
Decent cup holders for a sports car better than the 650 cup holders
Really reliable and low maintenance
back seats are really not bad for people that are 5'7" and below for quick jaunts.
Get looks all the time
If I were you seriously drive the 911 in high traffic dont just go for a joy ride because you know 80-90 percent of your driving is city not on the autobhan. If you test drive it on the highway you will fall in love with it immediately because the faster you drive it the smoother it feels. This will give you a false impression of what the car will be like on daily basis. Go through crowded parking lots and hit some speed bumps, park in tight spaces, roll over some expansion joints, go up drive ways and etc. I think everyone should deserve the chance to own one of these legendary cars. Next time I will probably get a steptronic version with convertable top or go with the Merc SL550.

All very good points well with the exception of the seats. I am 6'4 and have no trouble getting into and out of the car, or finding a comfortable seat position. Everything else I agree. The pluses are awesome. The negatives are not that negative IF you know this before you buy it and are prepared for it. I was prepared for it, and have dealt with them just fine. I do not know how long I will keep my 911, but at the moment there is nothing I would rather drive every day. Let us know how TD2 goes.
Old 07-27-2006, 03:55 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i Sport, Premium, Logic 7, Jet Black, Black Leather, M-Aero Kit, 15% (very dark) Tint, Eichbach Lowering Springs, Red Brake Calipers, Radenergie R-10's, Michelin PilotSport2 in 245/35/20 and 285/30/20, Rolled Fenders, and a nifty Graco Baby Car Seat. Next Up: Xenon fogs, Eisemann Exhaust, iPod Interface, Comfort Seats.

Gadgets,
I am in the EXACT same quandry, and was at Hennessy Porsche in ATL today to look at 997's. My current ride, a jet black 545i with the M Aero kit, super-dark 15% tint, R10 wheels, and red calipers, I almost think looks cooler than a 997. 997's are everywhere, you hardly turn to look at themanymore. But I feel like whenever I go by, everyone looks. You don't see a tricked out e60 all the time- it's almost more unique.

HOWEVER: the 911 is the 911 is the 911, and if you have the fever for it, as I do, there is no cure. None at all. I've wanted a 911 since I was a kid, and nothing will get rid of that want until I finally get one.

My feeling is that I'll get the 997, and after a few months I'll miss my 545i. I'll miss how easy my 545i is to drive, it's comforts, etc.

Totally in the same boat, lost in a sea of confusion. My test drive is on Saturday. Oh, and of course my wife thinks I'm nuts.
Old 07-28-2006, 07:45 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by cattman' post='316010' date='Jul 27 2006, 07:55 PM
Gadgets,
I am in the EXACT same quandry, and was at Hennessy Porsche in ATL today to look at 997's. My current ride, a jet black 545i with the M Aero kit, super-dark 15% tint, R10 wheels, and red calipers, I almost think looks cooler than a 997. 997's are everywhere, you hardly turn to look at themanymore. But I feel like whenever I go by, everyone looks. You don't see a tricked out e60 all the time- it's almost more unique.

HOWEVER: the 911 is the 911 is the 911, and if you have the fever for it, as I do, there is no cure. None at all. I've wanted a 911 since I was a kid, and nothing will get rid of that want until I finally get one.

My feeling is that I'll get the 997, and after a few months I'll miss my 545i. I'll miss how easy my 545i is to drive, it's comforts, etc.

Totally in the same boat, lost in a sea of confusion. My test drive is on Saturday. Oh, and of course my wife thinks I'm nuts.