E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

For those who think the 335i/535i can't be tweaked......

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2007, 09:54 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any software that increases hp by almost 80hp is increasing boost. there is simply no other way you are getting 80 more hp out of an engine other than increasing boost in a situation where they changed no other parts. WIth a FI engine you can see quite large gains by making things flow better-intake, headers and exhaust can probably add 40hp alone in a FI car where as would only add 15hp to a NA car. But 80-100 hp increase is turning up the boost as well as changing some of the other parameters I am sure but the main increase comes from the boost increase.
Old 11-03-2007, 10:02 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

Originally Posted by redwhiteblue' post='489496' date='Nov 3 2007, 12:54 PM
Any software that increases hp by almost 80hp is increasing boost. there is simply no other way you are getting 80 more hp out of an engine other than increasing boost in a situation where they changed no other parts. WIth a FI engine you can see quite large gains by making things flow better-intake, headers and exhaust can probably add 40hp alone in a FI car where as would only add 15hp to a NA car. But 80-100 hp increase is turning up the boost as well as changing some of the other parameters I am sure but the main increase comes from the boost increase.

My orignal post was typed in verbatim from the article. Increases were made by adjusting spark and fuel at higher rpms. If the boost pressure was adjusted, it would have been mentioned, and I would have included it.
Old 11-03-2007, 08:39 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E90 330i + E60 550i

there is ZERO chance that the 3.0TT engine got a 80hp increase without upping the boost. This is a well known fact with the 335 tuning programs. To their credit, they arent doing with insane boost numbers, as a "mild" increase is producing good results.
Old 11-04-2007, 01:10 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

Originally Posted by s4iscool' post='489670' date='Nov 3 2007, 11:39 PM
there is ZERO chance that the 3.0TT engine got a 80hp increase without upping the boost. This is a well known fact with the 335 tuning programs. To their credit, they arent doing with insane boost numbers, as a "mild" increase is producing good results.
This is the last time I'll say this: The article says what it says. Go read it for yourself.

For those of you that are still in disbelief, get an x35i, prove the hp increase is the result of increased boost, and let BIMMER do an article on YOUR findings. Until then, there is ZERO chance this article is incorrect

The S54 used in the last generation BMW M3 produced 330+ hp from the factory with no turbo, all this from an iron block I-6 that was designed and put into production ALMOST 10 YEARS ago. So what makes you think that a decade of modern technology improvements couldn't improve this?

I think 380hp out of a remapped N54 with no change in turbo boost relative to to its stock setting (0.4 I believe) is very do-able....in fact, its already done. Tweak the engine first, then tweak the power adder. Just wait, it won't be long when you start to hear about hear about 400+ hp outputs from these motors.
Old 11-04-2007, 03:11 PM
Banned

Not sure what else to say but its impossible what you speak of. Spark timing and detonation settings etc will not give you 80hp. For example you can search the interenet for any company that remaps bimmers or any cars and will find you do not see more than 10-20 hp gains by remaps if they are not FI cars. The only exception if you are dealing with huge HP engines like z01 LS engine can see 30-40 hp increases from remaps but that is starting with 505 hp to begin with.

A motor with 300 will not gain 33 percent of its output from tweaking settings. BMW or any car company does not leave that much out there in any of their non-FI engines.

So I am sure they did some tweaking in addition to increasing boost but its 100 percent that they did up boost. They probably did not mention it explicitly because it is such common knowledge that any gain like that is going to adjust boost
Old 11-05-2007, 01:21 AM
Senior Members

Here's a theory:

This engine was originally designed to be in the recently released M3 but for whatever reason BMW decided to use a V-8 instead. Rather than waste the R&D money put into it, BMW decided to use the TT-I6 for the x35i platform and de-tuned the motor for the sake of marketing.

It's just a theory.
Old 11-05-2007, 02:02 AM
Banned

Possible forsure that the engine, which is not really all that new technology. It has quite a bit of similarity to the M54 engine minus the turbos of course.

But take for example the 525 v. 530 with the N52. Initially the 530 had 255hp and the 525 had 215 hp. Now it was always thought of as a detuned engine in the 525 but it actually had different parts and not simply was just software. The 525 had a single stage manifold and was detuned. People and modders tried and tried and the only way to bump hp to 255 was replacing to a 3 stage manifold like the 530 had as well as updating software. The n52 got a facelift to the n53 engine which is now in the 530s in europe producing 272 but has a crapload of new parts to get it there. The n52 that produced 255 had room for maybe 10hp with software tuning but was all and all maxed out.

Same with the e46 m3 engine-m52 I believe ( I may be mixing up numbers)-you can search and search and see that thing was pretty much maxed out at 333 without replacing parts such as cams, headers blah blah-with simply software you could squeeze 10 more hp or so out of it.

I am just saying you can search down the line of bmw I6 engines and find there is not much room for tunability or gains without upgrading parts.

Now when you take an engine with 400 plus hp-which usually is a v8 for the simple fact v8s are more likely to produce more hp. Or take a v10 or 12 making 500 plus. Basically what I am saying is you can see lets ay a max of 5 percent increase with software tuning in MOST engines since the majority of engine makers to not leave a heck of a lot in todays engine. WIth 500 stock you take 5 percent and can see a 25-30 hp gain which is pretty good but relative to starting hp it is still only 5 percent which is the same as gaining 15 hp on a 300 hp engine.

So when you try to look at any example in history and have a basic working of NA engines-it is just not a reality to get 80 hp. There is not that much room. Take the I6 enginesin the bmw lineup or all engines for that matter. With variable valvle timing you already basically have semi-aftermarketesc cams that allow maximal air into the engine. You can mildly adjust things like a/f ratio and maximize that but usually that is maximized and software can ensure you are getting enough fuel pumped in for any little extra air you get in with some mods that may increase airflow.

It can adjust detonation to detonate a bit faster and burn a bit more quickly. But with the technology airflow and fuel burning and the right mix is all pretty much optimized and that is all she wrote as far as adjustability of NA engines.

So I could believe the theory had the TT engine been "new" but it is older technology based on the m 54, last gen engine before the N52 so there is no new technology other than the TT aspect. That makes me believe if the m54 tunability than neither would this-not 80 hp worth.

Wikipedia may have an article on the new TT engine and its similarities to the old m54

Or is it m52-whatever engine was in bimmers before the N52
Old 11-05-2007, 05:49 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E90 330i + E60 550i

There is no point in arguing. The article simply did not mention the boost in pressure. Some potential buyers of this engine modification would rather be clueless and think that they are getting this performance boost witout an increase in pressure. False security blanket.

If one can get this much power out of the 3.0TT setup then someone needs to tell Shiv that hes doing something incredibly wrong with their tuning