E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Those on the right and those on the left

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2006, 02:56 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: F11 520d white, auto, professional sat-nav with internet, variable damper control, sports steering wheel, extended lighting, retractable tow bar, wing mirrors with dimming & folding, full electric seats with memory & lumber adjustment, etc.

When the Swedes changed in 1969 the UK seriously considered changing also that is until they did the maths in altering on/off ramps, changing lights at junctions, changing signage etc, etc the cost was so huge it died a quick death.
In Sweden the Elk dont care what side you drive they still get in the way, in Finland the men driink so much vodka that right is left and left is right its the one thing imperial Russia gave them. Ola Hyvaa,
Old 02-08-2006, 03:33 PM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by Nova Invicta' post='237009' date='Feb 9 2006, 01:56 AM
When the Swedes changed in 1969 the UK seriously considered changing also that is until they did the maths in altering on/off ramps, changing lights at junctions, changing signage etc, etc the cost was so huge it died a quick death.
In Sweden the Elk dont care what side you drive they still get in the way, in Finland the men driink so much vodka that right is left and left is right its the one thing imperial Russia gave them. Ola Hyvaa,

The fact is that there's no way big modern states like UK, Australia nor Japan could change their traffic.

But thank "something" they live all on islands!

Cheers!
Old 02-09-2006, 01:00 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Ricracing' post='237029' date='Feb 9 2006, 02:33 AM
But thank "something" they live all on islands!

Cheers!
Living on an island makes it easier for you to be different. At least your road network does not connect to anybody else's. BTW if your taxi drive in London is a bit boring, just start a conversation with the driver around the topic of "driving on the wrong side". It might get interesting, and you can be sure that eventually he brings up the subject of all the bad/stupid things "invented by the French...". EU and driving on the right are among them.
Old 02-09-2006, 03:22 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by mr_grinche' post='236485
Exceptions:- US moon buggies

All the Banana Republics drive on the left!!!
[/quote]

Including Ireland eh!!
Old 02-09-2006, 01:25 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E61 530d Touring, May 2004

You may drive on the RIGHT side

But we drive on the CORRECT side !
Old 02-09-2006, 02:18 PM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by new-kid' post='237513' date='Feb 10 2006, 12:25 AM

I suppose this thread started from windscreen wipers not working good
enough for "correct" side driving.

I have been driving stick shift cars in UK, and one gets used to it very fast.

I never noticed any problems of this kind with bikes...

Let's be happy!
Old 02-09-2006, 02:30 PM
ipp
Senior Members

My Ride: 07' 530d - M-Sport - Titanium Silver / Black Dakota leather 08' 120i - M-Sport - Alpine White III / Black Sensatec

Originally Posted by Ricracing' post='237549

I suppose this thread started from windscreen wipers not working good
enough for "correct" side driving.

I have been driving stick shift cars in UK, and one gets used to it very fast.

I never noticed any problems of this kind with bikes...

Let's be happy!
[/quote]

When I drove a Holden Statesman in Australia some years ago I noticed that the wiper/turn-indicator switches were swapped too (indicators on your left and wipers on your right). VERY hard to get used to!
Old 02-09-2006, 02:53 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 535d auto sport saloon. titanium silver with black dakota leather. comfort seats with heating front and back. maple wood. visibility pack. media pack with tv function. m rear spoiler and m double spoke 172 19'' wheels with continental tyres

The origins of left / right side goes something like this -

in the days of jousting in merry old england most Knights were right handed so it made sense to pass another knight travelling in the oposite direction by being on the left with your big stick under your right arm.

this convention was universal and continued for many years until Napolean came along, who was left handed and who ordered his army to march and do battle on the right hand side.

so at this point there were two different conventions which more or less have remained the same to this day.

this is what i remember reading some while ago but someone correct me if i am wrong.
Old 02-09-2006, 03:51 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 09 - 520d M Sport - Steptronic - Carbon Black - Black Dakota Leather Sports Seats electric- Auto Climate - Piano Black Bamboo - Antracite Headlining - Business Media Kit - Sat Nav - Bluetooth - CD Changer - Auxillary Port and USB - M Sport Multifunction Steering - Lowered M Suspension - 18" Alloys with RFT - M Badged - M Bumpers and Bodykit - Park Distance Control - Advanced Voice Rec - Auto Dim Mirror - Privacy Glass - 5 Year Service Inclusive Previous -06 - 525 M Sport - Steptronic - Sapphire Black - Black Nappa Leather Sports Seats - Auto Climate - Alluminium Cubed Interior - Anthracite Headliner - Business CD with Auxillary Port - M Sport Multifunction Steering - Bluetooth - Lowered M Suspension - 18" Alloys with RFT - M Badged - M Bumpers and Bodykit - Park Distance Control - Spare Wheel kit - Advanced Voice Rec

Originally Posted by BMW#5' post='237235
Originally Posted by Nova Invicta' post='236398' date='Feb 7 2006, 10:42 PM

Exceptions:- US moon buggies

All the Banana Republics drive on the left!!!
Including Ireland eh!!
[/quote]

especially Ireland!

Originally Posted by 68pawm' post='237568' date='Feb 9 2006, 11:53 PM
The origins of left / right side goes something like this -

in the days of jousting in merry old england most Knights were right handed so it made sense to pass another knight travelling in the oposite direction by being on the left with your big stick under your right arm.

this convention was universal and continued for many years until Napolean came along, who was left handed and who ordered his army to march and do battle on the right hand side.

so at this point there were two different conventions which more or less have remained the same to this day.

this is what i remember reading some while ago but someone correct me if i am wrong.

You have obviosuly been reading too much Viz!
Old 02-09-2006, 08:53 PM
Contributors

My Ride: In a place where the Mercedes density is the highest in the world (no. of MB per square kilometer) I choose a Bimmer, why? because of one thing "The Ultimate Driving Experience" My Ride: 523i Steptronic, Silver Grey Exterior, Black Interior with Black Dakota Leather and Maple Wood Trim. Chrome Grill, Style 123 rim, Airbags everywhere, PDC, Rain sensor, Auto lights, Moveable front armrest, Advance Climate Control, Glass Sunroof, Auto dimming interior and exterior mirror with foldable functions, Extended Lights package, 6 CD changer in glove box, Power seats with memory, Power adjustable steering wheel, Power rear sunblinds. Add ons: 123 wheels, chrome grill, K&N Hi flow filter, Eibach Pro Kit, e60.net decal and 24,000km Past rides: 2001 Nissan Xterra SE 1999 E39 523i 1999 E46 323i 1996 Acura Integra LS

But in Japan, domestic cars are RH drive while import is LH. Doesn't matter RH or LH drive, as long as they are not on the wrong side than that's fine.

Quick Reply: Those on the right and those on the left