E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Thinking about a software update

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2004, 02:17 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am looking for feedback and suggestions. I am taking my 2004 545i, Sept 2003 built, in for some minor stuff. The headlight brackets & cig lighter cover (used for radar) sticks.
I am thinking of getting sirius hooked up just for fun. My questions are, will I get an upgrade of software when I get the satellite radio? I don't really have any problems with my software. I keep thinking of JDN when I think update. Although, I would like the in-dash cd player not to return to #1 80% of the time. I also have a rare "open hood" & driver side window error message, they are minor. I do like the sound of the steering being "tighter" after an upgrade. Is that real or an urban myth? What about the phone voice recognition, any improvements with an upgrade? I'm not sure I want to mess with it, better the devil you know, than the devil you don't. Any thoughts or suggestions? Any and all information is greatly appreciated.
Old 11-30-2004, 02:23 PM
Contributors

I'm 99% sure they're going to need to reload your software to activate Sirius. They should not be able to load an old version, so you'll get whatever the current version is.

I'm on 13.3 and so far, no serious problems. CD player fixed, steering wheel goes where it's supposed to, etc.

Non-serious new issues

The starting function is slower, meaning that when I turn the key, it now takes a half-second to start the starter. Didn't before.

Also, when I use my memory button to go from 1 to 2 or vice versa, it goes to the default position first, then the preset I'm pressing. That's new.

FYI - I was on 11.2 before.
Old 11-30-2004, 02:48 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 BMW 545i, Olivin Green, w/Sports Package, basic stereo, chrome wheels, tinted windows, Bluetooth enabled with Moto V710 (Verizon), Sirius Sat Radio (aftermarket), Auxiliary Input for Ipod.

Originally Posted by John W' date='Nov 30 2004, 04:23 PM
I'm 99% sure they're going to need to reload your software to activate Sirius.? They should not be able to load an old version, so you'll get whatever the current version is.

I'm on 13.3 and so far, no serious problems.? CD player fixed, steering wheel goes where it's supposed to, etc.

Non-serious new issues

The starting function is slower, meaning that when I turn the key, it now takes a half-second to start the starter.? Didn't before.

Also, when I use my memory button to go from 1 to 2 or vice versa, it goes to the default position first, then the preset I'm pressing.? That's new.

FYI - I was on 11.2 before.
[snapback]62655[/snapback]
I picked up my car this afternoon after the aux install/recall/software upgrade.
My observations so far:
1) The steering does feel stiffer/tighter. I can't be 100% sure though. I was driving a Toyota Camre for 4 days and compared to the BMW, that car's steering wheel felt looser.
2) The IDrive display fonts/display is different. The fonts seems to be thicker (bold).
3) I used to experience a lag between engine start and software initializing on the IDrive. This delay seems to be fixed.
3) RDS - used to be intermittent, now it shows all the time as it should. Addtionally, I see addtional information on the presets. Before it only showed Freq numbers. Now it shows brief song info.
4) CD- sometimes the CD would remember where i stopped, sometimes it would start at #1. Now that problem appears to be fixed.

That's if for now.

Teriyaki
Old 11-30-2004, 11:27 PM
Contributors

Just upgraded to 13.3.

New fonts - yes
starter delay - yes
longer bootup of idrive - yes
RDS - no change - still not working
NAV Lady now says "take the next --road-- on the right"
Hesitation from stop - no change - yes
Lost NAV address book - yes
Steering feels the same but don't have active steering
Old 12-01-2004, 12:15 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by juan2mini' date='Nov 30 2004, 11:17 PM
I do like the sound of the steering being? "tighter" after an upgrade. Is that real or an urban myth?
It definitely changes in the newer software. It takes about a week to re-adjust to the new settings but it is much better

I don't think the ratio's change but the assistance does. (Reduced at low speeds)
Old 12-01-2004, 01:15 AM
Members

Hi,

I am new to the forum and there is a lot of useful information here. On the issue of software updates, is there any way of accessing the update number from the iDrive?
Old 12-01-2004, 02:11 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by FirstBMW' date='Dec 1 2004, 12:15 AM
Hi,

I am new to the forum and there is a lot of useful information here. On the issue of software updates, is there any way of accessing the update number from the iDrive?
[snapback]62811[/snapback]
welcome aboard, firstbmw ! i think most of our dealers have less info than this wonderful forum . afaik, you have to check with your dealer regarding the s/w version.
Old 12-01-2004, 02:49 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Welcome aboard, FirstBMW !

Unfortunately it doesn't seem to be possible to find out the software version (number), not even in the hidden menu. Those numbers shown there are somehow different...
But your dealer should know!
Old 12-01-2004, 05:02 AM
Members

Smile

Hello Fellow Bmeers
I am new in this forum and I found it as I am looking for help. I am having an irritating gear shift hesitation problem with my 520i (E60 Feb 04). I have sent my car in for two software upgrades already and this rather dangerous condition does not go away.

The problem is as follows:

The adaptive gear shift logic seems to have adapted to the regular "city" driving conditions in Singapore. Our speed limit on most roads is 60 km/hr and 90 km/hr on the expressways. As such, after driving within the 60 km/hr for a period of time, it appears that the gear system adapts to that and shifts to the 6th gear very quickly, even when I am driving at around 50km/hr.

This post a serious problem as when I accelarate from that point, the gear system "chokes" as it seems to be unable to decide to which lower gear to shift down to. So there is a "up and down" shift experience, resulting in a lost of power for accelaration. My dealer named this as "gear shift hesitation" but denies that it is a problem at all.

While the dealer's technicians have been honest to tell me that they have informed BMW Germany about this perculiar problem, there has not been a confirmation of a fix despite my two s/w upgrades.

I have also met with BMW's Master Technician based in Singapore. He has confirmed the problem and told me that it seems that only cars in Singaopre have this problem and because of that, BMW Germany is not going to fix this. I was advice to drive only the S mode to avoid this problem - how ridiculous!

Can I get some advice from any of you out there please. I am really frustrated - this is my third 5 series in 10 years and they treat me bad....

SADE60
Old 12-01-2004, 08:09 AM
Contributors

John W, teriyaki88, UltraPLanet, colejl:
Many thanks for the feedback, it is greatly appreciated. I have contacted the dealer and ordered the satellite radio. The "tighter" steering is a big factor for me. I find the active steering to sensitive at lower speeds for my taste. Thanks again guys, that is all good information.

Quick Reply: Thinking about a software update