E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Thinking about an 08 535i

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 08:29 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello all! Great forum. It took me a while to find it but I'm glad I did. I have been away from BMW for a while, my wife and I used to own an 01 325i. We really liked that car! Right now I'm looking at buying my wife a used 535i. Specs are as follows:

2008 535i
37,000 Miles
CPO
Sport
Comfort
Convenience
Navigation
Silver
Gray Interior

Trying to get it for $31k plus taxes etc. Ends up being under $34k OTD.

What are your thoughts and comments? Does that sound like a good deal to you? Prices seem to have a pretty wide range depending on location and specs. I drove it and I like it! Gotta love BMW! This will be my wife's daily driver and ours on the weekend. She likes luxury, I like fun to drive. My DD is a 2009 MINI JCW. Also a very fun car to drive.
Anyway, wanted to introduce myself and get some opinions on the deal. TIA for your input!!!
Old 02-08-2010, 08:44 PM
Contributors

My Ride: F90 M5 Singapore Grey Executive package blacked out grill, body matched paint
Model Year: 2019

That sounds like a great deal! Only problem I see is that it's the tt6. There's alot of problems w their fuel pumps
Old 02-08-2010, 11:31 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

Actually, by 37k miles + the fuel pump should be fixed... probably. Also, the HPFP's warranty was extended to 100k miles/6yrs and the CPO covers it regardless.

Not sure what the market prices for 535s are these days, but I like the options
Old 02-09-2010, 06:54 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2010 VW Passat Wagon 2.0l Tsi Grey/Grey Budapest 18" Lost to HPFP issues: 08 535i sport pkg Lost to Dreaded E61 Sun roof leaks: 07 E61 530Xi

Originally Posted by skelevirus
That sounds like a great deal! Only problem I see is that it's the tt6. There's alot of problems w their fuel pumps

Originally Posted by v_therussian
Actually, by 37k miles + the fuel pump should be fixed... probably. Also, the HPFP's warranty was extended to 100k miles/6yrs and the CPO covers it regardless.

Not sure what the market prices for 535s are these days, but I like the options

HPFP issues can and will strike at any time or mileage....and there is not a perminate fix yet. 100 miles to 80K. I'd pull the carfax and see if there is any HPFP/Fuel delivery/Fuel pump issues/fixes on it, 2/3+ I'd stay away.
Also look for Transmission issues ( steptronic/SAT/or 6sp it's related to the hill hold/trans slam issues) or Turbo/wastegate replacement ( common fix for early production N54's with the software induced lag or the wastegate chatter). There have been a couple issues running them in the Desert south west at higher speeds and over heating , but that is fairly rare.

Those would be the common issues on the 535i's. There are some others but they are fairly rare.

Just do your home work as you would with any used car. Don't go in with blinders on.
Old 02-09-2010, 04:09 PM
Members

Those are all great points guys. Thanks! I did know about the HPFP issue but with BMW issuing the extended warranty and the car being CPO'd I am pretty confident things will get taken care of. The dealer and I are still about $1000 apart. He wants $32k and I am pretty stuck on $31..... Not really sure what to do.....
Old 02-09-2010, 04:23 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535i 6-speed
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by spyderbret
Those are all great points guys. Thanks! I did know about the HPFP issue but with BMW issuing the extended warranty and the car being CPO'd I am pretty confident things will get taken care of. The dealer and I are still about $1000 apart. He wants $32k and I am pretty stuck on $31..... Not really sure what to do.....
Do this and you will have the car. Write a check for $31,000. Put it on his desk and say you want the car. This is assuming you have the cash, savings, equity line, bank loan...or other means to support that check. If he won't take that...tear the check up, put it back on his desk and leave. I wouldn't buy a car from a dealer that wouldn't give $1000 to make the deal. Trust me there are plenty of cars out there.
Old 02-09-2010, 04:29 PM
Senior Members

Considering that $31,000 for a car of that mileage and options is right at galves wholesale (31,100), I would be pretty confident that the car is a buyback/lemon or has had past problems. There is no other reason that a BMW dealer would CPO that for such a low cost.

A quick search of CPO 2008 535i that I have just found on the internet range from asking prices of 36,000-45,000 in my area. Maybe its a regional difference, I don't know. But $31,000 is really cheap for a this car with those options.

Good luck with your decision, and remember to investigate the service history.
Old 02-09-2010, 07:50 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535i Sport

Looks like their original asking price was 36k for this car? 31k would be a super good deal for a CPO. 32k isn't bad either, see if they'll meet you half way at 31.5
Old 02-09-2010, 08:27 PM
Members

Originally Posted by NYC530XI
Considering that $31,000 for a car of that mileage and options is right at galves wholesale (31,100), I would be pretty confident that the car is a buyback/lemon or has had past problems. There is no other reason that a BMW dealer would CPO that for such a low cost.

A quick search of CPO 2008 535i that I have just found on the internet range from asking prices of 36,000-45,000 in my area. Maybe its a regional difference, I don't know. But $31,000 is really cheap for a this car with those options.

Good luck with your decision, and remember to investigate the service history.
The Carfax shows regular service history and no problems. That's what the dealership is saying as well. I will ask for a printout of the service history before I sign anything.

As much as I would like to write a check for the car I'm not quite there yet.....

I will probably see if they will do $31.5. I would feel good about that deal....

I'm looking forward to being back in the BMW fold. We bought my stepdaughter an 04 325Ci about 6 months ago. What a great car. I changed the pads and rotors on the front earlier this evening. Not too tough at all. Had to do the rears not too long after we bought it. At least now it will last a while.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions and comments. I will let you know how it turns out.
Old 02-09-2010, 08:30 PM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

The 535 is a terrific car and a great value. You may want to see if there are any similar deals on 550s given that they don't have HPFP issues.

Quick Reply: Thinking about an 08 535i