E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Are they any satisfied AFE Cold intake owners here at the forum?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2010, 06:59 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 e60 M5 Replica Titanium Silver Premium Package Premium Sound Package Adaptive Xenon's Apple iPhone cell interactive pared with iDrive Bluetooth setting 19 inch BMW OEM 166M rims, Michelin tires Sprint Booster - V2 Fidelity / BMW Extended Warranty 7 year / 100,000 miles
Thumbs up

Taking a poll...Are they any satisfied AFE cold intake owners here at the forum?

YES _____

or

NO _____

Thanks in advance!

Eddie aka Presley348
Old 11-27-2010, 07:01 PM
Contributors

I'm sure you already know but try searching for afe intake in the upper right hand corner. you will find MANY threads regarding their products. in short, stay away from them. stick with your stock box, drop in filter, & maybe some ram air scoops such as RPi.
Old 11-27-2010, 07:02 PM
Contributors

My Ride: F90 M5 Singapore Grey Executive package blacked out grill, body matched paint
Model Year: 2019

Member diamond pm him
Old 11-27-2010, 07:13 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: I have a 2007 Black Sapphire BMW 530i with SMG. It has the auburn interior, has PDC, Sports Package, Premium Package, rear automatic sunshades with manual side sunshades, 35% black tint, Upgraded angeleyes from Angelibrights, and Logic 7 Sound System
Model Year: 2007

Originally Posted by skelevirus
Member diamond pm him
lmao
Old 11-27-2010, 07:36 PM
Contributors

My Ride: '10 Switzer "Ultimate Street Edition" GT-R

How many times is this going to come up!?!?
Old 11-27-2010, 08:34 PM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 14 550i

i liked the sound

michael
acute performance
Old 11-27-2010, 10:39 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545i
Model Year: 2004

i have no choice cause my stock airbox is missing. only sounds good, but in cold weather like this with an rpi scoop its great.
Old 11-28-2010, 06:01 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: N62

Still have mine installed. Never took it out. Never jumped on the RPI Band wagon. No issues here. It's funny how when they first came out, everyone loved them and couldn't stop raving about it's performance. Then over night they became the worst mod ever. Just find it funny how the results were posted by a competing vendor. Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against RPI. I think they have great products and provide a great service to the E60 Community. But I see nothing wrong with the design of the intake. This is a very common design for an inake. I have had similar designed intakes in a 93 TT Supra, 97 Eclipse GSX, 91 TT 300zx and an E46 330ci. Somehow all of those cars yielded horsepower gains. Not sure what would make an E60 any different. I still think th dyno performed at RPI was somewhat skewed. The E9X crowd uses the AFE Intakes. I haven't heard of any issues. Not trying to reopen the debate. Just my .02 cents.
Old 11-28-2010, 06:36 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

Originally Posted by Hyper_545i
Still have mine installed. Never took it out. Never jumped on the RPI Band wagon. No issues here. It's funny how when they first came out, everyone loved them and couldn't stop raving about it's performance. Then over night they became the worst mod ever. Just find it funny how the results were posted by a competing vendor. Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against RPI. I think they have great products and provide a great service to the E60 Community. But I see nothing wrong with the design of the intake. This is a very common design for an inake. I have had similar designed intakes in a 93 TT Supra, 97 Eclipse GSX, 91 TT 300zx and an E46 330ci. Somehow all of those cars yielded horsepower gains. Not sure what would make an E60 any different. I still think th dyno performed at RPI was somewhat skewed. The E9X crowd uses the AFE Intakes. I haven't heard of any issues. Not trying to reopen the debate. Just my .02 cents.
I'm with you on not trying to open a debate - that's for sure. However, I just wanted to tell you the following:

1. I agree with you - independent testing would be a whole lot more credible. 1,000,000%!

2. The reason (allegedly) why AFE intake does not work on E60, while being able to add hp elsewhere, is due to the running temperatures of our engines. If your engine compartment ambient temperature is low due to a "breathing" hood, or for some other reason, AFE intake (at least in theory) would increase the output.

I personally am trying to stay objective with this - if there's proof this intake actually adds hp, I'll probably be one of the first people to install one. Just that up to now it has kind of been the opposite - in most real-world situations AFE intake is losing power. It has even been dubbed the "hot air intake" by some.
Old 11-28-2010, 06:36 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 e60 M5 Replica Titanium Silver Premium Package Premium Sound Package Adaptive Xenon's Apple iPhone cell interactive pared with iDrive Bluetooth setting 19 inch BMW OEM 166M rims, Michelin tires Sprint Booster - V2 Fidelity / BMW Extended Warranty 7 year / 100,000 miles
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by Hyper_545i
___

Thanks Hyper_545 for your writing and honesty about the AFE (heat shielded) cold air intakes!

Your 5 Series Forum friend,

Eddie aka Presley348

Quick Reply: Are they any satisfied AFE Cold intake owners here at the forum?