E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Is there such thing as too tight? Or too loose??

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 06:38 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 530i

Basically long story short, I lowered my car near the end of winter (approx. 2 months ago). Lowered with eibach sport 1.2" all around. After a week I was really starting to like the stance- not touching the tire tread, just a smaller wheel gap- which was ideal for me because I will have to drive through a snow storm eventually :S

Recently, I realized I have to put my summers on soon. I started asking myself would my 19" rims fit? Will I rub? Oh noooooooo

Yesterday after work I decided to take off my front left winter wheel, and put on my summers. As I continued to do this for my very first time and all alone (unsure if I'm doing things right) I taught myself slowly slowly. I realized I should just put on all 4 summers, after a couple hours of trial and error and finishing up the job (all with the tools in my trunk) ... End result = Successful- no rubbbbbbage

Now my biggest question is how tight or how loose should my lug nuts be?

I tightened them as much as I could with my small biceps lol. Then positioned the lug nut wrench in a way where I can step on it. I didn't stand on it with all my weight, but I gave it a nice stomp. Should go my local shop and get him to tighten it with an air gun? Is it necessary?

Any opinions/comments appreciated.

Thanks in advance

**Sorry mods- not sure if this is DIY thread or not..
Old 03-30-2011, 06:42 AM
Contributors

Use a torque wrench and find a shop whose workers know what a torque wrench is. Most specs for our wheels are in the 80 ft lbs range if I recall.

But I'm away from my files so someone can verify/confirm. It may be noted in the specification section of your owner's manual.

Stomping on your lug wrench is too arbitrary IMHO
Old 03-30-2011, 06:43 AM
Members

Basically long story short, I lowered my car near the end of winter (approx. 2 months ago). Lowered with eibach sport 1.2" all around. After a week I was really starting to like the stance- not touching the tire tread, just a smaller wheel gap- which was ideal for me because I will have to drive through a snow storm eventually :S

Recently, I realized I have to put my summers on soon. I started asking myself would my 19" rims fit? Will I rub? Oh noooooooo

Yesterday after work I decided to take off my front left winter wheel, and put on my summers. As I continued to do this for my very first time and all alone (unsure if I'm doing things right) I taught myself slowly slowly. I realized I should just put on all 4 summers, after a couple hours of trial and error and finishing up the job (all with the tools in my trunk) ... End result = Successful- no rubbbbbbage

Now my biggest question is how tight or how loose should my lug nuts be?

I tightened them as much as I could with my small biceps lol. Then positioned the lug nut wrench in a way where I can step on it. I didn't stand on it with all my weight, but I gave it a nice stomp. Should go my local shop and get him to tighten it with an air gun? Is it necessary?

Any opinions/comments appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Sorry in advance mods- not sure if this is DIY thread or not..
Old 03-30-2011, 06:52 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: MY07 525xi Silver Gray
Model Year: 2007

I think the spec for wheel lug nuts torque is at 120Nm (+/- 10Nm) = 88.5 foot pound
Old 03-30-2011, 06:58 AM
Senior Members

Your service manual will say exactly how tight they should be. I did this recently and it stated 120NM. Not sure if this varies between models but I think it's across the board for the E60. Having them too tight is probably better than them being too loose but it's still not a good thing. You could cause damage or make it very difficult to remove next time. Invest in a torque wrench. They are not expensive and will take the guess work out.

I've invested in a fairly cheap electric impact wrench which allows me to set the torque. Takes all the effort out of loosening and tightening the lug nuts. I think I was able to remove all 5 lug nuts on one wheel in under 30 seconds.
Old 03-30-2011, 08:02 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 545I and a half dozen other rides

Although I think the factory is 87 ft lbs. I torque all my wheels to 80 ft lbs on all my wheels except my truck..

80 ft lbs is not a lot to a person who is not used to tightening wheels

Yes over tightening wheels can have adverse affects!!!!

Yes, over 70% of the people who tighten wheels over tighten them!

This includes the tire shops!!!!!!!
Old 03-30-2011, 10:18 AM
Members

Great!
Thanks techno79
Old 03-30-2011, 10:28 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 550i M-Tech Sport Package, Carbon Black, Black/Anthracite Bamboo

Torque them to the manual specifications. Definitely get a torque wrench and do it right. Over torquing is almost as bad as finger tight. You can yield the studs which can cause them to snap the next time you're swapping wheels.
Old 03-30-2011, 11:10 AM
KAF
Contributors

My Ride: F11 535i M-Sport,, Silver, Black Leather, LED Adaptive headlights
Model Year: 2015
Engine: N55

DO NOT STAND ON THE WRENCH!

Tighten them with the supplied wheel brace to the point where you cannot easily tighten them more, this is sufficient. if they are tightened firmly they will not come loose.

If you over-tighten them you may never get them off, strip the thread of shear the bolt.

Or as stated, better still get a torque wrench.
Old 03-30-2011, 11:56 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 545I and a half dozen other rides

Originally Posted by Jonsmilez
Should go my local shop and get him to tighten it with an air gun? Is it necessary?

A air gun will and can break the bolts. You will never be able to remove the bolts if tightened that tight tight with a air gun. Never stand on a wrench to tighten why do you think the engineers make the the tire iron so short? it is because people constantly think you have to over tighten lug bolts.

If lug bolts are too loose it is because you did not tighten the bolts correctly there is a pattern you need to use. and then you recheck.

As a Tech for over 15 years I am no longer surprise to see broken, missing, stripped threads, on hubs.

On certain makes of cars if you over tighten the lug bolts they will actually give brake pulsations!

YES ACTUALLY WARP ROTORS!!!!

Even more so when you have after market wheels!

Hell i even had wheel flanges distorted to the point the wheel was no longer good because people over torqued the wheels.

hmmmm. I wonder if there is anything I can say to convince you Do not over torque the wheels. And if a tire shop says you do not need torque the wheels.

RUN AWAY!

Quick Reply: Is there such thing as too tight? Or too loose??