E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Thank you and sad end to my 530i

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2017, 05:54 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thank you and sad end to my 530i

Good evening all! I have not been really active on this forum of late but was a frequent poster back in the E60.net days. This group has been a huge help and I hope I was helpful in kind. Unfortunately my '07 530i life's ended this past week at 134,000+ happy miles.

My 530 was the best car I have ever owned. It was flawless. The only issue I had was a failed water pump at 100K and this is normal. I changed the oil more than needed and performed the maintenance as BMW would have liked. It still had the original break pads! Unfortunately some guy performed a U-turn in front of me and even a slow rolling crash ended it with $7K in damages. The other guys insurance has picked up the tab and totaled out my car.

Again, this was just an awesome car! Thank you all for the great info over the years!
Attached Thumbnails Thank you and sad end to my 530i-img_2053.jpg  
Old 09-23-2017, 08:07 PM
Administrator

Received 101 Likes on 97 Posts
My Ride: 530xi
Model Year: 2007
Engine: N52

Sorry to hear about your loss. So are you going to get another bimmer? I went from E39 to E60 for much the same reason, except mine was an act of nature.
Old 09-24-2017, 04:36 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by JayArras
Sorry to hear about your loss. So are you going to get another bimmer? I went from E39 to E60 for much the same reason, except mine was an act of nature.
I would like to replace with another 5 but my neighbor (the cliche of the little old lady) want to let go of her '09 135i that has only 36K in miles and has been taken care of very well and garaged. it is spotless. So I am moving forward on purchasing that. It will take me a few miles down the road and especially to work where I need it most.
Attached Thumbnails Thank you and sad end to my 530i-e88sideer.jpg   Thank you and sad end to my 530i-e88r.jpg  
Old 09-24-2017, 04:56 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: 530i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: M54

Sorry about your 5er. Hope you enjoy the 1er, it's a great car (I had a 128i M Sport for a short whilte before it was totalled).

Best of luck.
Old 09-25-2017, 07:54 PM
New Members

My Ride: Stock '07 530xi

Bro, as long as the engine and suspension is ok, keep that car. As far as I can tell, the fender, bumper and headlight need to be fixed. Is there something under that’s messed up? The exterior is pretty simple to fix. You can tell the insurance to pay you instead and you keep the car and fix it instead of having it be totaled.
Old 09-25-2017, 09:57 PM
New Members

My Ride: E60
Engine: 530d

What about parting it out? Is this not a thing in the US?

Around here it most certainly will get you more money than insurance will pay, it just takes time to get rid of it completely.
Old 09-26-2017, 03:04 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: 530i
Engine: M54

Originally Posted by Nadhir
Bro, as long as the engine and suspension is ok, keep that car. As far as I can tell, the fender, bumper and headlight need to be fixed. Is there something under that’s messed up? The exterior is pretty simple to fix. You can tell the insurance to pay you instead and you keep the car and fix it instead of having it be totaled.
Left structural apron is toast. E60 from the firewall forward is bonded/riveted aluminum that cannot be repaired in damage situations. That car is 100% a total loss. What you are talking about is retention of salvage, different states have different regulations regarding the feasibility of doing so. It can also be very difficult to re-register a car with a rebuilt salvage title. I work in this industry.
Old 09-27-2017, 06:38 AM
New Members

My Ride: Stock '07 530xi

Originally Posted by KyleB
Left structural apron is toast. E60 from the firewall forward is bonded/riveted aluminum that cannot be repaired in damage situations. That car is 100% a total loss. What you are talking about is retention of salvage, different states have different regulations regarding the feasibility of doing so. It can also be very difficult to re-register a car with a rebuilt salvage title. I work in this industry.
Dang, and it doesn’t even look that bad from the picture...
oh well. Yeah, it probably isn’t worth it at that point. You can part it out like the person above suggested, but that takes time and can be annoying and some people would rather not.