E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Test Drove the 550i Sport and the 535Xi Sport today. Need advice.

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2009, 05:57 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I posted earlier this week about changing over from an Audi A8 to the BMW 5 series. Today I drove the 550i Sport and the 535Xi with Sport package. Both are unbelievable cars and, even without an extended test drive, I am almost 100% certain I will be ordering a BMW for my next car. While the Audi interior is a bit more luxurious, the sport seats in the 5 series were awesome, the steering/handling was very tight and a lot more precise. Even with the sport suspension, the ride was surprisingly compliant and smooth. The acceleration and braking were also impressive. I loved the heads up display which is great for any 50 year old who wears distance glasses and has trouble reading the dashboard. Although I live in the Chicago area, I think I like the 550 just a little bit more- wheels, front end, and power. They are very close and would be happy in the 535 as well. If I get the 550i, I'll just get some BMw wheels and snow tires.
So now here are my questions:
1) 550i Sport or 535Xi Sport?
2) Is night vision worth $2200?
3) Color for 550i - Carbon Black with Natural Brown interior or Carbon Black with Black interior? Anyone with pictures?
4) Active Steering?
5) HD radio?

All in all, great cars. You 5 series owners are all very lucky. I love my Audi but I am ready for a change.

Thanks in advance for your input, opinions and answers.
DocBob
Old 02-14-2009, 06:20 PM
Members

i joined this forum last month after getting my first 5 series 550i, i've had only BMW's for the last 10 years. GREAT CARS, Once you own one its hard to let go.
Both are great, it comes down to money if you can afford it go with 550 otherwise 535 will do perfectly fine.
My friend picked up 535i same day i picked up my 550i, when he sits in my car he can tell its much smoother (engine) and sounds much better.
Other thing i noticed was 550 has more interior lighting, door handles and compartments have ALWAYS ON lights which look really nice at night.

I have night vision, only used it to showoff to people, don't need it in the city. Depends if you drive in suburban areas a lot.

Color its personal choice, i had no choice there was only one(great deal) i have deep sea blue on beige. I never thought i would like anything but black interior but after almost everyone complimented on beige interior, its growing on me..lol

Active Steering, I also was iffy about it but once you drive it for a couple of weeks man its awesome...and i mean it. So much more convenient. Again its personal you should drive one and compare.

Don't have HD RADIO but ipod is more than enough for me...regular FM/AM for news.

BTW My advice go with 550 you will thank me later...lol
Old 02-14-2009, 06:26 PM
Members

Hey DocBob,

1) Can't really give you any advice. I have a 550i sport, never driven a 535xi
2) I have night vision but in my opinion it is not really worth it. It is a really cool novelty but isn't that useful. It is really not "night vision" like the military uses; it is FLIR which senses heat. I live in TX and it is hot as hell down here so it seems washed out most of the time. I think in colder climates where humans and animals would be significantly warmer than the outside temperature it may be more effective.
3)My car is Carbon Black w/ Nat Brown. I'm sure you noticed, but the Carbon Black is more blue than black. In direct sunlight it looks blue. When it is cloudy or dark, it looks black. It is a PITA to keep clean, but looks great when it is clean. As far as the interior, I originally wanted black but the car I found had the nat brown. It has grown on me and I love the contrasting colors now. The Nat Brown interior has not been difficult to keep clean and still looks new after a year.
4) Can't speak to Active Steering. My car does not have it and I have never driven a car with it. A lot of people say it is a must have option.
5) I have HD Radio and it does sound amazing. I am listening to Sirius 95% of the time but the times I have listened to HD it is awesome. With Sirius possibly going belly up soon, HD may be used more.

Lastly I will post some pics of my car so you can see the Carbon Black w/ Nat Brown.

Hope that helps and you will not regret getting a BMW!

Old 02-14-2009, 06:48 PM
Members

Thanks for your input and posting the pics Bob. Your car is beautiful. I have had black cars forever and think the carbon black is a lot more interesting.
DocBob
Old 02-14-2009, 07:02 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011, X6 Hybrid . Alpine White , every option. 20" Conti' NON runflats,OEM trunk spoiler , LUX V3 AE's , HP Thunder Fogs , custom front bumper reflector delete........

It all comes down to your affinity to V8s , to many of us , a V8 is beyond the #s and all , it's an emotional connection with the sound and low end torque...... from a pure #s perspective the current 535 is a beautiful alternative ..................and who cares about the EXTRA 10,000 GS
YOU'LL love either engine !
Old 02-14-2009, 07:22 PM
Members

Regarding interior color, you need to sit in both. Just find a 5-series with black and one with natural brown regardless if they are 550 or 535 or 528...just to get a feeling. I feel the black is just too dark for me and love the contrast.
Old 02-14-2009, 07:30 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Don't forget that the Sport pack on the xi is essentially cosmetic - it has a non-sport suspension. Whether that matters to you is a personal decision, but it's something to consider. Assuming you drove a new 550i Sport it now has M-Sport suspension, which is a step up from the sport suspension offered on prior model years for the 550i. Either way, both great choices and good luck with the search.
Old 02-14-2009, 08:18 PM
Members

Originally Posted by swajames' post='793152' date='Feb 14 2009, 10:30 PM
Don't forget that the Sport pack on the xi is essentially cosmetic - it has a non-sport suspension. Whether that matters to you is a personal decision, but it's something to consider. Assuming you drove a new 550i Sport it now has M-Sport suspension, which is a step up from the sport suspension offered on prior model years for the 550i. Either way, both great choices and good luck with the search.
I've had my 08 550 with Sport Auto and ZSP since 8/08..I love it more now than the day I got it.

I've owned M3's, C Classes, Lexus RX & ES, 328's and 540's..

While the M3 (in particular) was a very special car, the 550 is hands down the best all around blend of lux, snort and performance.

The low end V8 grunt, M cladding, Sport tuned suspension and Sport Exhaust make this a special E60 to visually admire AND drive like hell too!!
Old 02-14-2009, 08:21 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by midwest bmw' post='793158' date='Feb 14 2009, 09:18 PM
I've had my 08 550 with Sport Auto and ZSP since 8/08..I love it more now than the day I got it.

I've owned M3's, C Classes, Lexus RX & ES, 328's and 540's..

While the M3 (in particular) was a very special car, the 550 is hands down the best all around blend of lux, snort and performance.

The low end V8 grunt, M cladding, Sport tuned suspension and Sport Exhaust make this a special E60 to visually admire AND drive like hell too!!
Old 02-14-2009, 08:43 PM
Contributors

In 2007 I came out of a e38 740i sport and downsized to an '07 530xi w/sport and lots of other options. I like the car a lot but really miss the V-8. The 535xi makes up for some of the lost HP but there is nothing like a BMW V-8!

The 550 and xi are two different animals. If you like to kick it once in a while get the 550. You'll definitely want dedicated snows for the winter - probably even with the 535xi (esp if it has summer RFTs). As for the sport package ... as noted on the 535xi it really is a trim change; on the 550 it's that and MUCH MORE!

I don't have HD but Logic7 and Sirius is great. You're right on the adjust-ability of the sports seats - I love mine! As for night vision I can't comment but HUD is great. Comfort Access can continue to spoil you. As for the color combination I do like the contrasting look of black/natural brown ... black/black is not for me.

Net net, I don't think you'd be disappointed with either car! Buy - Enjoy!!

Quick Reply: Test Drove the 550i Sport and the 535Xi Sport today. Need advice.