E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Test Drive Report 525i (LCI)

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2007, 03:41 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Scooter' post='512025' date='Dec 31 2007, 12:32 AM
Get the MSport and change to conventional rubber.

You get the nice M Sport bits i.e. body kit, steering wheel, door trims, roof liner and 18's which IMO are essential on the E60 styling without the runflat bone jarring ride. Best of both worlds.

Enjoy your new ride eitherway.

PS: Interestingly the LCI 525 here in Aus is still the 218hp version of the 2.5, not the detuned 3.0.

I like the look of the exterior of the M Sport but am taking the advice of 'What Car' magazine and going for the SE as the standard suspension with 17" wheels suit the poor UK roads better as it gives a better ride quality which is far more important to me.

Also, I don't like the M Sport interior, prefering a dark exterior with a light interior & wood trim - the SE model suits this preference better.

I wouldn't be without runflats as so many people get killed on hard shoulders of motorways and having had a puncture with a runflat, I wouldn't have known had the warning chime not alerted me to the fact. With standard (non sport) suspension, the ride quality isn't deteriorated at all with them.
Old 12-31-2007, 03:45 AM
Members

Originally Posted by my2007' post='512093' date='Dec 31 2007, 04:11 AM
uk 5 series, that was a good review of the 525i. Did you try out the 523i? I believe that the 525i is also a 2.5l engine identical to the one in the 523i, except that the 523i is a detuned engine.
No I didn't try a 523i as I figured that for the relatively small additional cost, it was a no brainer to go for the 525i. And to confirm, the 523i has a 2.5 litre engine, whereas the 525i has a 3.0 litre engine. I did consider a 530i but didn't think it warranted the extra cost as the 525i had more power than I needed anyway for traffic clogged UK roads.
Old 12-31-2007, 07:23 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by UK 5 Series' post='512172' date='Dec 31 2007, 12:45 PM
No I didn't try a 523i as I figured that for the relatively small additional cost, it was a no brainer to go for the 525i. And to confirm, the 523i has a 2.5 litre engine, whereas the 525i has a 3.0 litre engine. I did consider a 530i but didn't think it warranted the extra cost as the 525i had more power than I needed anyway for traffic clogged UK roads.
Indeed, the 525i and 525d are probably the pick of the range now they're based on the 3.0 litre engines...
Old 01-01-2008, 04:22 PM
Members

My Ride: 1996 525 M Sport Silver Grey on Beige

Originally Posted by UK 5 Series' post='512171' date='Dec 31 2007, 07:41 AM
I like the look of the exterior of the M Sport but am taking the advice of 'What Car' magazine and going for the SE as the standard suspension with 17" wheels suit the poor UK roads better as it gives a better ride quality which is far more important to me.

Also, I don't like the M Sport interior, prefering a dark exterior with a light interior & wood trim - the SE model suits this preference better.

I wouldn't be without runflats as so many people get killed on hard shoulders of motorways and having had a puncture with a runflat, I wouldn't have known had the warning chime not alerted me to the fact. With standard (non sport) suspension, the ride quality isn't deteriorated at all with them.
Different specs in each country are interesting.

Here we can have whatever interior coulour combo we want in the MSport. For example my MSport interior is beige leather with poplar wood trim. The only difference re interior colour on MSport version here is that all MSports have the dark roof liner.
Attached Thumbnails Test Drive Report 525i (LCI)-car5.jpg  
Old 01-01-2008, 05:22 PM
Members

My Ride: Sept '06 535d M sport ,Silver ,Black Dakota Leather,HUD ,TV, Media ,Visibility,Heated F+R seats,Comfort Seats, Active seats ,Sun protection glass,Dark Poplar wood, sunroof ,Elec Sunblinds , Folding mirrors, 19" 172s ,Extended lights Package, Debadged

Originally Posted by UK 5 Series' post='511669' date='Dec 29 2007, 06:32 PM
Of course there's always the 'Model Designation Deletion' option, but in the UK that's the sole preserve of 520d drivers who think we'll miss the single tail pipe and non-chrome grille slats (by the way, I'm only kidding as the 520d is a fantastic car).

Oi ! My cars debadged and its not a 520d....

Good write up anyway. Only criticism is that nobody should take the "combined fuel consumption" figure seriously, and has been pointed out already it should be taken as a guide for comparison against other cars.

I dont think the manufacturers even have a say in how the combined figures are arrived at, as there is some complex testing and calculation that goes on independent of the car maker.
Old 01-01-2008, 05:25 PM
Members

My Ride: Sept '06 535d M sport ,Silver ,Black Dakota Leather,HUD ,TV, Media ,Visibility,Heated F+R seats,Comfort Seats, Active seats ,Sun protection glass,Dark Poplar wood, sunroof ,Elec Sunblinds , Folding mirrors, 19" 172s ,Extended lights Package, Debadged

Originally Posted by Scooter' post='512637' date='Jan 2 2008, 02:22 AM
Here we can have whatever interior coulour combo we want in the MSport. For example my MSport interior is beige leather with poplar wood trim. The only difference re interior colour on MSport version here is that all MSports have the dark roof liner.
I'm 99% sure you can specify any colour combination available on the msports here too. You just cannot specify a "non-sports" steering wheel and things like that which are part of he msport package.
Old 01-01-2008, 05:29 PM
Members

Originally Posted by colejl' post='511721' date='Dec 29 2007, 11:14 PM
Yeah, the badge is an indication/guideline not a fact... They could use the 's' option like they do on other models... so the 525i could be the 530i and the 530i could be 530si. The 523i would then become the 525i proper...

Confused?
Thats a great idea that sounds like common sense , and is a totally workable and understandable concept.

Which means BMW would never go with it.
Old 01-02-2008, 12:52 AM
Members

Originally Posted by ressla' post='512646' date='Jan 2 2008, 02:25 AM
I'm 99% sure you can specify any colour combination available on the msports here too. You just cannot specify a "non-sports" steering wheel and things like that which are part of he msport package.
You can get light interiors on M Sports in the UK (although I don't think it looks right), but you have to have anthracite headlining (which I dislike) and sports suspension (standard suspension suits me better).

Also, as I am adding so many options (including Comfort Seats), I would only really 'gain' the bodykit and 1" bigger alloys so, much as I like the look of the M-Sport, it's not worth ?3,200 ($6,000 US) premium over the SE model. I'd rather put that money towards a bigger and better engine. You also lose all the chrome window trim with the M-Sport and I wouldn't want to do that as it stands out nicely against dark paintwork colours. I also like the silver bar that runs along the front skirt of LCI models (that you also lose with the M Sport).

UK's 'What Car' magazine prefers the SE over the M Sport for UK roads as they claim that the combination of sports suspension and bigger alloys deteriorates the ride quality. Having driven both I agree with them, but it's all down to personal taste in the end. I've equipped mine as a 'luxury' vehicle, not a 'sports car'. That's the great thing with BMW's - you can do either with the same vehicle!
Old 01-02-2008, 03:16 AM
Members

My Ride: 520d SE Jet black / anthracite Advanced air con Sun protection glass USB Style 244 wheels

Great write up and a good spec choice. Perhaps you might also want to consider adding the USB option to your order, I would not be without it now as it gives you so much more flexibility to listen to different types of music through an MP3 player.

I also have an SE on 244 wheels and can confirm it rides really well even on poor surfaces.

LM
Old 01-02-2008, 04:10 AM
Members

A very good write up.

Quick Reply: Test Drive Report 525i (LCI)