E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Temperature Control Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2006, 10:20 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If not in Auto mode for temperature control, how does everyone use the therostat dial (driver and passanger) in conjunction with the iDrive vent setting temperature setting for the upper body region? I've been leaving the vent setting at neutral. It seems repetitive.

Thanks!

KM
Old 02-08-2006, 12:22 PM
Contributors

My Ride: (UK) Bulit: Feb 2004, 520i (M54), 6-Speed Manual, Black leather, Titanium Silver, Bi-Xenon, Headlamp washers, Side rear airbags, Park Distance Control, Aluminium trim, Standard Climate Control, 17" wheels, Pirelli P-Zero Rosso's, Spacesaver Spare wheel, Jack, Dynamic drive, Service Inclusive, Chrome grills, Software version 20.01.00, E60.net Clings, Painted wheel hubs silver

I just leave mine at neutral too. Its handy to change it to cold when the car is really hot but its not much use really.
Old 02-08-2006, 12:28 PM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by ScottishBimmer' post='236891' date='Feb 8 2006, 11:22 PM
I just leave mine at neutral too. Its handy to change it to cold when the car is really hot but its not much use really.
The settings are only for individual (exceptional) choices.

They just can't leave the car whitout, can they.
Old 02-08-2006, 12:34 PM
Members

The idea is to stratify the air - warm feet cool face. Keeps you comfortable but alert. The iDrive setting simply lets you decide how cool you want the air on your face. A good thing too, if over-engineered.
Old 02-09-2006, 10:38 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 545iS 6 spd, bought new via eBay, 11/05; Blk/Gry, Cold, L7, PDC, BMW Rear seatcover for pets. First "Bumwa" was a new 1971 2002. High performance 5s since 1987. Beamer motorcycles too, currently on an 07 BMW K1200 GT; also a Moto Guzzi 1000 SP III.

This is more silly gadget overkill from iDrive and BMW. The old E39 system, of having a hot-cold dial, right below the upper air register made much more sense. I used it only in the cold weather, while wanting my feet and legs warmed, yet preferred a bit of cool air on my face (especially worthwhile if you are sleepy). Otherwise I let it follow the rest of the system's output. And I'm not sure, but I think it works in both auto and manual modes.

Cheers,
Ray Hull
Old 02-09-2006, 12:03 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2015 535D M Sport

I am not so sure it is "silly gadget overkill". The whole point of iDrive was to remove the knob-button-dial clutter from the cockpit. It would look more like a 777 than car if they didn't do it. The vent temp. setting is just one less knob on the dash to contend with.
Old 02-09-2006, 12:06 PM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by gwf545' post='237480' date='Feb 9 2006, 11:03 PM
I am not so sure it is "silly gadget overkill". The whole point of iDrive was to remove the knob-button-dial clutter from the cockpit. It would look more like a 777 than car if they didn't do it. The vent temp. setting is just one less knob on the dash to contend with.
As said, but the iDrive gives you options, maybe even more than you want.
Old 02-09-2006, 12:14 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 545iS 6 spd, bought new via eBay, 11/05; Blk/Gry, Cold, L7, PDC, BMW Rear seatcover for pets. First "Bumwa" was a new 1971 2002. High performance 5s since 1987. Beamer motorcycles too, currently on an 07 BMW K1200 GT; also a Moto Guzzi 1000 SP III.

Originally Posted by gwf545' post='237480' date='Feb 9 2006, 04:03 PM
So, you favor taking a simple rotating wheel, attached to fresh air gate, and motorize and computerize it into the bowels of a complex menu system, with graphic interface, and call that simplification? Try changing the setting while you are moving sometime and let me know. :thumbsdown:

Just checking,
Ray Hull
Old 02-09-2006, 12:19 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2015 535D M Sport

Originally Posted by Ray Hull' post='237489
So, you favor taking a simple rotating wheel, attached to fresh air gate, and motorize and computerize it into the bowels of a complex menu system, with graphic interface, and call that simplification? Try changing the setting while you are moving sometime and let me know. :thumbsdown:

Just checking,
Ray Hull
[/quote]

I do it often. No big deal. Just hold the idrive knob to the left and when the screen changes, twist it, then hold the idrive knob down to go back to the audio screen.
Old 02-09-2006, 03:00 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Ray Hull' post='237489

Just checking,
Ray Hull
[/quote]

Sorry, I take issue with this. The stratification control for the centre is designed as an offset from whatever temperature you set with the rotary control and as such it should really be a one-time, set-and forget thing.

If you like to change the offset a lot, then I take your point, but you can use voice commands as a shortcut to get there.

My experience with the e39 thumwheel was that it never "held" the desired input and as such you always had to fart about with it to maintain the required air temp. In the e60 the offset is maintained perfectly.

Quick Reply: Temperature Control Question