E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Temp reading

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2005, 09:08 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E61 525iA Build 2004/08. "Safirschwartz Metallic". Navi Pro, Adaptive Headlights, Bi-Xenon, Panorama Sunroof etc... CIP 18.00.01 (No noticed bug)

I beleive one of the most important instruments in a "general" car would be the engine temperature meter. After a short while with an overheated engine, the engine will crash ($$$) I know that iDrive/check control system is supposed to take care of temp readings and report overheating to me. But what if that fails? (we have all read about iDrive issues). It would be nice with some redundancy here (a plain old meter...)
Old 08-13-2005, 09:10 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 March E60 530i, Titanium Silver with Black Dakota Leather, Style 124 18" Alloy, Active Steering, Adaptive headlights, Auto-Dim Int+Folding Ext Mirrors, Auto Aircon Advanced, Brushed Aluminium Trim, CD Changer, Comfort Seats, De-Chrome, Dynamic Drive, Electric Glass Sun Roof, Graduate Tinted Windscreen, Heated Front Seats, Natvigation Professional, Sport Steering wheel, Sun Protection Glass, TV function

Agree, just like the E46 I still miss.
Old 08-14-2005, 03:31 AM
Senior Members

Yeah for sure if you come from a car that has a temp gauge then it feels a little strange for a while, but soon u'll get used to it because u have those rev limiters when the engine is cold...in a way i never "used" the temp gauge in other cars that i owned just to see when i can open full throttle at optimum engine temperature but NEVER had any problems with overheating. So in way bmw is right...it takes alot of stress on the car to reach dangerous temperatures so in 99.9% of the cases the engine will stay in normal parameters, so for the 0.1% add a probability percentage that the idrive wouldn't work exactly when the engine overheats---> u'll get an insignifiant number. No need to worry about.
Old 08-14-2005, 07:13 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 BMW 530I steptronic, Orient Blue, Dakota Black Leather, Finishers Aluminium with Wave Cutting interior, NAVIgation, Radio PROFESSIONAL, CD in-dash, Hi-Fi extended sound system, PDC system, Bi-Xenons lights with washers, cruise-control, heated seats, Extended AC, auto"shade" mirrors, auto lights sensors, rain/wiper sensor, M-tech leather multifunction steering wheel, side airbags rearseats, sliding armrest, smoker's package (I don't smoke!), velour floor mats, spare wheel and jack, 122 style rims winter setup, M135 style rims summer setup [color=red]Mods:[/color] [color=blue]M tech sport steering wheel with M5 SMG paddles working retrofit done ! Trunk lid opening button retrofit done.[/color] [color=blue]3M window 35% tint done Chrome grilles E60.net Clings [/color]

even "old plain" gauge reader is already bunch of electronics and sensors. so error could occur anyway. it is just that the display is not digital but classic analogue gauge

Do not think that the "old way" is a regular thermometer stuck in the engine with cable that pulls on the temp gauge
Old 08-14-2005, 08:12 AM
zag
Contributors

My Ride: e60 530i - SOLD!

Originally Posted by stafli' date='Aug 14 2005, 01:08 PM
I beleive one of the most important instruments in a "general" car would be the engine temperature meter. After a short while with an overheated engine, the engine will crash ($$$) I know that iDrive/check control system is supposed to take care of temp readings and report overheating to me. But what if that fails? (we have all read about iDrive issues). It would be nice with some redundancy here (a plain old meter...)
[snapback]159100[/snapback]
Coincidently i am experiencing this problem right now.
I-drive prompted "Gong" .."Engine too hot, drive moderately to prevent overheating" if problem persist call BMW" An amber thermocouple was displayed! The message persisted for less than a minute.

The problem and what frustrates me is that there is no way to tell if there is really engine overheat or sensor faulty! I wasn't even pushing the car redlining the rev limiter at all other than a casual relax sunday afternoon drive!
Old 08-14-2005, 08:42 AM
Members

My Ride: E61 525iA Build 2004/08. "Safirschwartz Metallic". Navi Pro, Adaptive Headlights, Bi-Xenon, Panorama Sunroof etc... CIP 18.00.01 (No noticed bug)

Still, if you enter the cockpit of a late build of Boeing 7X7, you'll find a plain old horizon gauge - to be used in parallell with the computerized .

Well, on my old E39, i could visually see that everything was ok when the needle was in the middle. I could once actually see that it was left of the middle, and understand that there was a sensor or thermostat error! Sometimes analog gauges are quite good! I beleive a good compromize would be to have a analog gauges menu in the iDrive. By the way, somone indicated that there is a possibility to read the temp in some hidden menue! How?
Old 08-14-2005, 11:50 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Ya either Digital or analog I rather have a temp guage than that swinging MPG guage... JUST like the ///M5 setup!

Has anyone else noticed that the M5 is like PERFECT? in all shape size form function etc?

Old 08-14-2005, 12:31 PM
Senior Members

Yeah that would be better! Especially i see on my 535 it stayes most of the time betwwen 15-20
Old 08-14-2005, 01:57 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i Mystic Blue/Black Leather Type 124 Wheels

One of the reasons for removing the temp guage is because new engnies like the N52 ( new 523i, 525i and 530i) have moe than one operating temp

4 Actually, depending on driving condition. And the difference between the lowest and higest is over 25'C

So a lay person looking at a guage on those enines would think something is seriously wrong, because the temp would change for different conditions
Old 08-14-2005, 01:59 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i Mystic Blue/Black Leather Type 124 Wheels

Originally Posted by stafli' date='Aug 14 2005, 11:42 AM
Still, if you enter the cockpit of a late build of Boeing 7X7, you'll find a plain old horizon gauge - to be used in parallell with the computerized? ? .

[snapback]159191[/snapback]
On a 777 the small backups are also digital

Quick Reply: Temp reading