E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

The tear down on my 535 has begun.....

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 09:33 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I email the shop manager today and here is his reply:

"I understand your frustration, my estimate of repair time, is based on availability of parts, unfortunately, we have no control on parts especially when they are coming from Germany. I am doing everything within my parameters to finish your repair. Parts and labor at this point is 37861.47. If you want a copy, I will fax it to you.

I will call on Friday with an update."

The estimate is now about 40% higher than the original estimate and about 75%-80% of the car's value!!!! This is getting ridiculous!!! What options do I have besides riding this out? Should I contact an attorney? Is contacting my insurance company going to do anything? Thanks for everyone's help.
Old 04-08-2008, 02:41 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 530i Individual, DVD Package, HUD, Bluetooth, Comfort Seats, SR, etc

i would not be accepting that vehicle ...my friend had a 325i that he ran in to someone near LA , basically smashed his front end but no engine damage and he still found his way out for a full insurance claim on the vehicle, if he could get that written off, I think you are being too nice....get on with it....call some friends..get some advice on some attorney who can deal this...I mean $37 grand repairs on a BMW...????? might as well keep the Cobalt as it will have the same built quality now..... no offense to American car makers ....or to any Americans.... it just sounds really weird ....
Old 04-08-2008, 03:01 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 530i Sport & Premium package with bluetooth, 6 disk cd-Changer, stock 18's dunlop wrapped, leather, adaptive headlights, CPO, See my gallery :DR.I.P...Stock Silver 2004 530i with grey interior, HID,
Model Year: 2005
Engine: M54

i doubt the insurance company is going to write off the car now seeing as how they've dumped so much money into getting it repaired. $38,000 is alot of moneys but to write it off they would still have to pay that bill to the repair shop and the current cost of the car to the leasing company... which would be some serious ching ($$,$$$.$$)!

most insurance companies (state farm does) have a repair policy that states that they guarantee all repair jobs so maybe thats an angle you can use once you get the car back (if the insurance company offers that)... complain, complain, complain about it not being right, alignment is off, car doesnt track straight, tranmission skips etc...

be glad that your car is a lease and you're not going to own it at the end! unless you know a lawyer that can give you "free advise" i wouldnt get into it.... im sure it will cost YOU money for their services...

hope it all works out for you... could you go to the shop and snap some pics of the progress?

orlee
Old 04-08-2008, 03:42 PM
Members

i suggest you hire an attorney who specializes in dealing with insurance company and see what he says recommend and maybe you can squeeze a new vehicle out of it.... insurance company will just fix the car and sell it or do whatever they like wiht it.

its all about numbers... insurance companies (atleast here in canada) are known to spend more and more in legal fees just to save 500. They dont like paying out thier clients.

I think i fyou are wihtout a car and not have a decent rental i think you should speak to a lawyer and there maybe some way you can get around htis.

Think of the lawyer as an investment and it will deffinatly help you in the long run given its a compitent lawyer.
Old 04-11-2008, 05:41 AM
Senior Members

UPDATE:

I was told yesterday that I should have my car back within 2-3 weeks. The engine is in and they are painting today then some peripheral "stuff" then it goes back to BMW for a day or two. Then, some test runs and detailing.
I am cautiously optomistic that I will have my car back by the end of the month.
I can now see a little light at the end of this LONG tunnel.
Old 04-11-2008, 12:18 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm shocked they didn't total that thing out.

If you ask me I think the shop B.S. orginal quote is screwing you over. If from day one they were at 38K I guarntee your insurance would've totaled it out. Might want to let your feelings known to your insurance company that it was one thing when the repairs were only "x" amount but now we are at 38K and you don't feel very comfortable taking back the car. I would just tell them I can go out and buy one with few miles on it for around that and have it never been in a horrible accident. It really should've been totaled from day one.
Old 04-11-2008, 01:11 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by jmsod' post='559632' date='Apr 11 2008, 09:41 AM
UPDATE:

I was told yesterday that I should have my car back within 2-3 weeks. The engine is in and they are painting today then some peripheral "stuff" then it goes back to BMW for a day or two. Then, some test runs and detailing.
I am cautiously optomistic that I will have my car back by the end of the month.
I can now see a little light at the end of this LONG tunnel.
When you say "back to BMW for a day or two" ... Where is Gary sending it, Munich? [sorry I'm being sarcastic].

Probably the VDC in Jersey City? I'm sure BMW wants to be 200% certain the repair is complete or they (not you) will have to live with it for a long long time. BTW, I was up there (The Vehicle Delivery Center) a couple of weeks ago - quite an operation! If they are going over your car before it comes back it's in good hands.

Keep the faith - I'm sure your BMW will be glad to be back in your driveway.
Old 04-19-2008, 05:12 AM
Senior Members

UPDATE:

Engine is in and car is painted. The car is now at the BWM center for reprogramming. I should be getting a call on Tuesday to give me an update and hopefully and pick up date.

I can see the light !!!!!
Old 04-19-2008, 05:55 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011, X6 Hybrid . Alpine White , every option. 20" Conti' NON runflats,OEM trunk spoiler , LUX V3 AE's , HP Thunder Fogs , custom front bumper reflector delete........

Originally Posted by jmsod' post='564155' date='Apr 19 2008, 09:12 AM
UPDATE:

I can see the light !!!!!

You have the patience of a Saint . Good luck I hope it cames back as good as new !
Old 04-29-2008, 04:20 AM
Senior Members

UPDATE:

I got the call yesterday .... my car is FINISHED !!! It is just over 4 months since the accident. They are detailing it today and I will pick it up after work. What a LONGGGGG process. I am praying that this thing runs the way that I remember. That being said.... I am not sure I even remember how it performed before.

Quick Reply: The tear down on my 535 has begun.....