E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

TCU Removal

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2010, 02:55 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys i read that the TCU is the reason for radio static in our cars. I have the static and its driving me crazy, i also read that removing the "optical flash jumper" works too but i have no idea where to look for that. Do you guys know how to remove the optical flash jumper and the TCU. My trunk is open and the lining is out, there are 2 silver boxes one smal and one big and im trying to figure out which cable to disconnect

thnx
Old 07-30-2010, 07:32 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Where did you read about the "optical flash jumper" as it pertains to radio static?

By the way, I think the pic you posted is, in fact, the TCU...
Old 07-30-2010, 09:19 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Rudy
Where did you read about the "optical flash jumper" as it pertains to radio static?

By the way, I think the pic you posted is, in fact, the TCU...
Try the first url in this google search http://tinyurl.com/24uyypb
Old 07-31-2010, 12:21 AM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

That's the TCU that you're on. Just curious do you have navigation? If not, It appears that your car is pre-wired for navigation.....the blue fakra connected to the TCO from the back of your M-ASK. You may find a black lead wire buried under some of that good old bmw fabric sticky tape...it's just like the ones connected to the blue, black and purple Fakra connectors. That is going to your sharkfin. If you unplug the blue from the TCU and plug into the buried lead you will have a fully functional GPS antenna. The only thing you'll need after that is a CCC (nav unit)
Old 07-31-2010, 06:11 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

The optical flash jumper is located near the glove box, not near the TCU. From what I can tell, you can't fix the static problem by disconnecting this jumper -- I think it's only for troubleshooting purposes according to the following bulletin:
SM 65 205 03 static noise from all speakers.pdf

In other words, I'm guessing that disconnecting the jumper will possibly cause the static to go away but there may be other functions that you'll lose until the jumper is re-connected.
Old 07-31-2010, 05:49 PM
Members

Originally Posted by AchtungE60
That's the TCU that you're on. Just curious do you have navigation? If not, It appears that your car is pre-wired for navigation.....the blue fakra connected to the TCO from the back of your M-ASK. You may find a black lead wire buried under some of that good old bmw fabric sticky tape...it's just like the ones connected to the blue, black and purple Fakra connectors. That is going to your sharkfin. If you unplug the blue from the TCU and plug into the buried lead you will have a fully functional GPS antenna. The only thing you'll need after that is a CCC (nav unit)

No i do not have navi, but i will be looking for the black lead wire. Do i just leave the blue one dangling?

Oh and i unplugged the bottom white portion and it fixed the static 100%
Old 08-04-2010, 04:08 AM
Members

I unplugged my TCU (just the white plug and no optical jumper) to see if it will fix the popping and cracking and it appears is gone. In fact, the overall radio reception appears much better. I'll give it a few more days to make sure that it doesn't come back to be sure. The problem is that I lost my Satellite radio completely (option is gray in iDrive) and the left side speakers sound muffled when using the AUX input. I'm assuming the sat radio is not working because I've broken the fiber optic loop and need the jumper but why would my AUX input be effected?
Old 08-04-2010, 05:49 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 05 545/6

Originally Posted by AchtungE60

even without the prewire, that blue wire goes to the sharkfin to give the TCU GPS coordinates when you call for help. when you have nav, the TCU gets the actual address from the CCC instead of just the GPS coordinates.
Old 08-04-2010, 06:59 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545I and a half dozen other rides

Will replacing the tcu with a later model help? Does this require recoding?