E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Takes forever to warm up ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 05:30 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 04' 545i, Sport Package, Black, Active Xenon, ARS, Aux Input '10 Tahoe, Black on Black, leather, Nav/XM, 20" tires, full body kit, power 2nd row, loaded '93 Jeep Wrangler, lifted 4.5", 33" meats, Rampage Recovery Bumper w/Tire Swing, etc 25' Aquasport Osprey, Center Console,2012 200 HO Etec

He doesnt own a diesel... and my money is on the idrive settings. Many mistake the air distribution for the temp settings... blue/white is cold and red is hot... make sure its on red.

I also dont think the manual says you should allow your car to "warm up" by just sitting and idling... maybe I am wrong...
Old 01-05-2011, 06:12 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This thread is focused on the heater settings, are we sure the car is warming up properly? (I.e., is the thermostat stuck open)
Old 01-05-2011, 07:44 AM
Members

Originally Posted by jm545i
This thread is focused on the heater settings, are we sure the car is warming up properly? (I.e., is the thermostat stuck open)
That's what I was getting at in a roundabout kind of way.
Old 01-05-2011, 07:50 AM
New Members

Is there any way to reset the climate controll settings to factory settings?
Old 01-05-2011, 08:08 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Vista
That's what I was getting at in a roundabout kind of way.
Sorry - missed that....

It's a shame that we no longer have actual thermostat readings on the dash so one could eliminate that right out of the box.
Old 01-05-2011, 04:03 PM
Members

Originally Posted by jm545i
Drive the car for 10 minutes to allow it to come up to operating temperature. Dial up the temperature setting and see if there is a difference in heat level between what is coming out at your feet and what is coming through the dash vents. If they are both cool, then there might be a thermostat problem. If the foot vents are hot and the dash vents are cool, then it is DEFINITELY the intermix setting I described above. You can fix that in 15 seconds.
Old 01-05-2011, 04:24 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530i

Originally Posted by jaycal3
I also dont think the manual says you should allow your car to "warm up" by just sitting and idling... maybe I am wrong...
yes! there was a thread on here that talked about that. You should NOT let your car warm up by idling. Just gotta drive off immediately and keep the rpms low driving moderately. 5 mins idling is way to long op! i'd say 30 sec to 1 min tops.

btw, i always turn the heat off right when i get in the car and turn it on after 10mins of driving. Always have done this for some reason, i feel like there will be less stress on the car since its not fully warmed up yet haha. I live in the northeast too and winters are cold here... so i pretty much freeze my ass off for 10 mins lol
Old 01-05-2011, 04:33 PM
Senior Members

Well nothing changed I let it idle for one miniute and drove off the car blows cold air then after 10 min starts blowing warm air within 20 min the car is blowing warm air for good. When I first got the car it blew warm air perfect right away and yes the iDrive setting is correct I will also post a picture.
Old 01-05-2011, 07:09 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

Originally Posted by aretardedorange
Well nothing changed I let it idle for one miniute and drove off the car blows cold air then after 10 min starts blowing warm air within 20 min the car is blowing warm air for good. When I first got the car it blew warm air perfect right away and yes the iDrive setting is correct I will also post a picture.
is your coolant level ok? if its low, you could have some air pockets in the system.
it also could be a thermostat not closing properly.
i've also read somewhere where someone had a dealer readjust the heat settings via computer.
Old 01-06-2011, 08:28 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 550i SA M-Sport Package

#1 you're not supposed to let the car warm up by idling, you're supposed to start the car and drive off after about no more than a minute, just drive at moderate speeds.

#2, I don't see how when it's 32 degrees outside that you can expect warm air to blow at startup, where is this warm air coming from?

I've never been in any car that blew warm or cold air after right awat on a cold start.

Quick Reply: Takes forever to warm up ?