E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

tail lights smoked

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2006, 12:55 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

I have looked into this quite a lot and most of the people iv spoke to regarding giving to the tail lights a smoked effect do not recomend it. They claim the applying process of any sort of adhesive film is no problem but when it comes to removing it the problem starts... since our tail lights are made of plastic some of the black part of the film stickes back on the tail light (after this film has been removed) and inorder to get rid of it a blade has to be used which will complelty scratch the tail lights ...

So how is it possible to give the smoked effect without damaging our tail lights ?
Old 06-16-2006, 01:31 AM
Members

My Ride: 535d Carbonblack with Amethyst leather (two-tone), M-sportpackage, 19 inch 172M wheels, Nightvision, Navigation Prof., Head-Up Display, Voice recognition, Bluetooth phone prep., Hifi Prof. Logic 7, High beam Assistant, Active steering, Rearseat sideairbags, Spare wheel, Alarm, no model inscription, Moonroof, Rear sunshade, Auto-dim + Folding Ext. mirrors, Dark Poplar High gloss, Cupholders, Comfortseats, Folding rearseats, PDC, Bi-Xenon headlights, Extended light package, High gloss Shadow line

Simply get the Hella smoked taillights instead.

Hella is OEM manufacturer for BMW.

Hella Website

Old 06-16-2006, 01:39 AM
Members

Originally Posted by -LG-' post='298324' date='Jun 16 2006, 02:31 PM
Simply get the Hella smoked taillights instead.

Hella is OEM manufacturer for BMW.

Hella Website

i acctually dont think its worth buyin a new set of lights just to get the smoked effect( im guessing its a cheap mod to do on ur own) .. im sure there is a way to do it since there a few people on the forum who have done it .. its just that i think im missing something .. somethin i sould know ... it there a special sort of adhesive for this or what ?
Old 06-16-2006, 02:12 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2010 523i. Alpine white, dakota leather, 8 speed auto, VDC, bluetooth, HID lights, parking sensors, sport seats, black window trim, tinted rear windows 1988 Ferrari 328 GTS, nero on rosso corsa. 1992 Mazda MX-5 / Miata 2009 Ford S-Max 2.5T

Originally Posted by P.S.B' post='298329' date='Jun 16 2006, 11:39 AM
i acctually dont think its worth buyin a new set of lights just to get the smoked effect( im guessing its a cheap mod to do on ur own) .. im sure there is a way to do it since there a few people on the forum who have done it .. its just that i think im missing something .. somethin i sould know ... it there a special sort of adhesive for this or what ?
Usually you need to heat it up, say with a hairdryer - the adhesive softens and comes off. On the other hand you're messing around with a part that has been homologated the way it came out of the factory and there's a chance that if you go for a statutory vehicle inspection that the tester doesn't pass the lights. Also chances are the foil will be visible and it will look like a teenager's modified banger. I'd either get the Hella's or leave alone.

--
Przemek
Old 06-16-2006, 03:05 AM
Senior Members

Fear not...Nickey from Gr will tech us all soon the perfect process (applying a clear coat and black paint only on the red parts of the stoplight...should look killer good)
Old 06-16-2006, 04:18 AM
Members

Originally Posted by BetterMakeWay' post='298381' date='Jun 16 2006, 04:05 PM
Fear not...Nickey from Gr will tech us all soon the perfect process (applying a clear coat and black paint only on the red parts of the stoplight...should look killer good)

hmm .. the thing is im looking for somethin reverseble .... i just want to know do people just put regular tint on tail lights ? and what percertage ?
Old 06-16-2006, 04:21 AM
Contributors

For 50$ in Thailand, you can get it tinted with a sort of film... easily reverisble with no damage to tail light.. Done this to a few cars, and the reverse process is as easy as just taking the film off hot or cold... dono about other countries tho..
Old 06-16-2006, 08:59 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

I wouldnt think adhesive vinyl would leave any residue if you pull it off... just like clear bra... can be removed... the Smoke tint is part of the film not part of the adhesive...

I red out my IS blinker with transparent red vinyl... they sell the same stuff for smoked... give that a shot. CHEAP too.. like $20 a roll and a few mins to install yourself.

Before

After

and you can get them at www.rvinyl.com

Direct Link

http://www.rvinyl.com/cart/store.php?crn=6...ion=show_detail

P.S. No I have no affiliation with this company... just sharing what I found and have done.
Old 06-16-2006, 09:03 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 E63 AMG | Obsidian Black | Schwarzes Nappa | Black BirdEye Maple | Premium II Package | Electronic Trunk Closer | Parktronic Engine: RPi/Powerchips custom ECU tune, RPi Ram Air Kit (BMC filter, scoops), RennTech Sport exhaust, secondary cats, charcoal and resonator delete, custom AAA x-pipe Exterior: 50% side windows / 35% rear window Formula One Pinnacle Series | Flat AMG hood emblem Suspension: Renntech Lowering Module Wheels/Tires: Radenergie R10, Falken FK452 245/30/20, Yokohama ADVAN Sport 285/25/20 ----------------------------------------- 2005 545i Sport SMG | Ti Grau | Schwarzes Dakota | Anthracite Maple | Logic 7 | Nav Engine: Custom AFE CAI, Superchips ECU remap, Sprint Booster, RDSport Dual Exhaust Conversion with Quad Pipes and X-pipe, 3 resonators deleted, 90mm tips! Exterior: M-Tech Aero kit | M5 Mirrors | M5 Rear Bumper | Trunk Lid Finisher | Vorsteiner decklid spoiler | 50% Formula One Pinnacle Tint Suspension and Brakes: Bilstein PSS9 coilovers, JBT BBK: 16" cross-drilled rotors, 8 piston and 15" cross-drilled rotors, 4 piston Wheels: VIP Modular VR 02 20x9F, 20x10R | Toyo T1R 245/30/20F, 285/25/20R Lights: PIAA 4150K Xtreme White Plus fog lights, AIB v3 MOST IMPORTANT: Hardwired V1; =) ED Date: 4/7/05, Re-delivery date: 5/21/05

Nice ride, traitor.

Show some more pics!
Old 06-16-2006, 09:04 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' post='298521' date='Jun 16 2006, 09:59 AM
just sharing what I found and have done.
that doesn't look too bad. what color does it blink? does the amber and red give it a diff look from the brake lights?

Quick Reply: tail lights smoked