E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

idrive going black

Old 09-28-2012, 05:24 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Numero Uno in Richmond Va 04 530 6 speed, jet black, black dakota leather, xenons, red rear reflectors, 545 front grill, cold weather package, premium package, staggered 19 inch BBS rxII/michelins, H&R coilovers and intergrated, R1 concept drilled an
Model Year: 2004
Engine: 530i

Okay yet another issue, not a lot considering the car is a 04 with 80,000 miles on her. Okay the issue I had the recall done a couple of weeks ago and also had the computer flashed per sib for hesitation, it is 99 percent better but still not completely fixed they are suspecting the Vanos and wants to try one for 1000 in parts and 3 to 5 hundred in labor, but the caviot is they are not sure if it will fix it.

So that aint gonna happen right now, anyway just noticed that my idrive screen has now been blinking out for the last two days I am not loosing radio, bluetooth, ipod, cd, or any issues other than a blank screen.

WTF, my mechanic at the dealership has left the shop going to a indy shop so his transition is not complete yet so trying to get ideas of what could be wrong and or what to check for, also what screws are holding the screen in I tried a plethura of flats,phillips,and t hex none seem to fit at this point.

I checked the mpm module in the trunk and it seems fine no moister or charring help wanted and needed
Old 09-28-2012, 07:02 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 545i - Titanium Silver/Black, Sport pkg, Comfort Seats w/ Lumbar, Premium Sound, power rear sunshade, Adaptive Xenon Headlights, Steptronic, Park Distance Control, Fold down rear seats w/ski bag, Aux jack, 6-disk changer, puddle lamps... Engine: Custom Remus cat-back exhaust w/chrome square tips, K&N Air Filter, Charcoal Filter Removed, Sprint Booster :-), 50/50 mix of 91+100 Octane, EuroRev ECU Remap (coming soon lol), Dinan High-Flow Throttle Body (coming soon...maybe lol) Interior: Portable Sirius Stilletto 100 w/car kit, Garmin Nuvi 680 mounted below rear-view mirror, LCI-style I-drive knob, Dark Poplar Center Dashboard Trim. Exterior: E60 forum clings, 5% rear tint, ACS roof spoiler (painted black for distinct look against limo tint), ACS trunk spoiler, ACS add-on front spoiler and rear apron (awaiting installation), "18 Black Staggered BeBeS Style OER (emergency replacement for cracked sport 124 rims), black kidney grill, white accessory lighting (including license and trunk lamps), Angel-eye upgrade, AIB xenon-matched fog lamps, AIB V3's on order, red rear reflectors

Regarding the screen, I use a T9H hex socket. There are 2 small factor hex screws holding the screen in place. Remove those, flip the screen downward a bit from the top, and slide out. Takes a couple minutes max. On the rear you have the main harness plug and the video cable. Make sure both are snug. If the screen is faulty there are plenty on ebay nowadays. If yours is the small (non nav screen), and it is indeed faulty, I have one I'll let go for $165 shipped in conti USA. There are lots of others out there as well. If you don't have navi, now may be a good time for an upgrade if you code your own car, or have access to folks who do coding. Good luck!
Old 09-28-2012, 08:25 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 545i - Titanium Silver/Black, Sport pkg, Comfort Seats w/ Lumbar, Premium Sound, power rear sunshade, Adaptive Xenon Headlights, Steptronic, Park Distance Control, Fold down rear seats w/ski bag, Aux jack, 6-disk changer, puddle lamps... Engine: Custom Remus cat-back exhaust w/chrome square tips, K&N Air Filter, Charcoal Filter Removed, Sprint Booster :-), 50/50 mix of 91+100 Octane, EuroRev ECU Remap (coming soon lol), Dinan High-Flow Throttle Body (coming soon...maybe lol) Interior: Portable Sirius Stilletto 100 w/car kit, Garmin Nuvi 680 mounted below rear-view mirror, LCI-style I-drive knob, Dark Poplar Center Dashboard Trim. Exterior: E60 forum clings, 5% rear tint, ACS roof spoiler (painted black for distinct look against limo tint), ACS trunk spoiler, ACS add-on front spoiler and rear apron (awaiting installation), "18 Black Staggered BeBeS Style OER (emergency replacement for cracked sport 124 rims), black kidney grill, white accessory lighting (including license and trunk lamps), Angel-eye upgrade, AIB xenon-matched fog lamps, AIB V3's on order, red rear reflectors

One last thing- low voltage levels will cause the screen to cycle on and off. But, generally, when voltages get that low there is usually a plethora of errors that follow. I would venture a guess and say maybe its a failing M-ASK unit (or cooling fan), but the flickering has no bearing on audio, so I'm not so sure. The screen is very easy to replace, is relatively cheap vs the other modules on the car, and is so critical to the car's enjoyment.
Old 09-28-2012, 07:13 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Numero Uno in Richmond Va 04 530 6 speed, jet black, black dakota leather, xenons, red rear reflectors, 545 front grill, cold weather package, premium package, staggered 19 inch BBS rxII/michelins, H&R coilovers and intergrated, R1 concept drilled an

Man thanks for the info all of your logic is exactly what I was thinking I know that some had issues when they had the recall done but had other issues with errors I have non of that so I am suspecting the screen going out lets do the screen thing I have no interest in nav on the car I use my cell ANDROID POWER I would like a bigger screen though but i will redo the smaller one if I did get a bigger on is it plug and play or does it need coding pm and we can do the transaction. thanks again
Old 10-02-2012, 04:33 AM
Contributors

idrive going black-2012-10-01_22-37-06_875.jpg

idrive going black-2012-10-01_22-37-14_130.jpg

idrive going black-2012-10-01_22-45-30_897.jpg

Hey Buddy here are some pics of the unit. There are some scratches on the plastic, but nothing big or major (didn't notice when unit was in the car, but under house lighting facing up, they are visible).
Old 10-02-2012, 04:36 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

If you go with a bigger screen you will have to shave off a bit of plastic on your connector before plugging it in. And it will not give you the full screen only the 6.5" which you had. The rest of the screen will be blank because you do not have the split screen option. So normally yes, it would need to be coded but if you have the MASK then there's no point in getting a larger screen because it's like throwing away money.
Old 10-02-2012, 05:01 PM
Senior Members

Done money should be hitting your account as we speak thanks bro and I hope this is the issue. It is so hard trying to do things through idrive from memory because the screen is blank (sometimes). ? will the 8.8 work is it plug and play or do I need some other hardware and or connectors.
Old 10-02-2012, 05:04 PM
Senior Members

Whoops thanks Achtung your post did not show up before I typed that question
Old 10-02-2012, 05:58 PM
Contributors

Screen is packed and ready to go out with UPS tomorrow (was too late this evening). I sent you tracking info. Let me know if it doesn't resolve the problem - send back the screen and I'll refund your monies (I don't want you to pay for something that you wont need. Not here for profit, but to help!)
Old 10-12-2012, 04:32 AM
Senior Members

Hey Al I again want to thank you for allowing me to purchase the idrive screen and the quick turn around on getting it shipped out to me,

All is working well I now kinda like the nav Idea would love the cic retrofit but just out of my price range for this car, I would just rather purchase another car preferably a m3 or m5 with it already there.

thanks again and I will stay in touch