E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

System Update

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 01:09 PM
edl
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i born July 13, 2005, Jet Black with Black Dakota leather interior, 6 speed manual transmission, with sports package, premium sound package, cold weather package and satellite prep...persistence overcomes resistence!

Hi all - '05 545i in for regular service - wanted to "update" the "operating system - was told there are "200 computers" in the car - said, ok, the "main" system - told that only happens if there is a covered item that is wrong which would require this - what kind of items qualify - what is the more precise reference to the "main" system - in other words, what is it that I am really asking them to do and how can I get it done! - thanks, ed
Old 06-05-2007, 01:19 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

On cars with nav the main unit is called CCC, on cars w/o nav it's the M-ASK.
The software can be updated, if a newer version is available.
Those software updates are known as CIP or PROGMAN updates and we are currently on version 25.xx
Version 26 will be available soon.
During the update process all other modules that need an update will be updated too. The disc contains all the changes, so if there is a newer version for one of your modules this will be updated during the flashing process.
All you need is a reason for the update. If you have a reason the dealer will update your car with the newest software to solve the problem.
Old 06-05-2007, 02:23 PM
edl
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i born July 13, 2005, Jet Black with Black Dakota leather interior, 6 speed manual transmission, with sports package, premium sound package, cold weather package and satellite prep...persistence overcomes resistence!

Originally Posted by Iceman' post='432251' date='Jun 5 2007, 04:19 PM
On cars with nav the main unit is called CCC, on cars w/o nav it's the M-ASK.
The software can be updated, if a newer version is available.
Those software updates are known as CIP or PROGMAN updates and we are currently on version 25.xx
Version 26 will be available soon.
During the update process all other modules that need an update will be updated too. The disc contains all the changes, so if there is a newer version for one of your modules this will be updated during the flashing process.
All you need is a reason for the update. If you have a reason the dealer will update your car with the newest software to solve the problem.

Many thanks IM - what are some of the typical issues that people have that require a module update that in turn will update all the systems? - for example, i have the false alarm with the right front window where it goes up half way and believes it has hit something - in fixing that, will they end up doing the full update? - thanks again, ed
Old 06-05-2007, 02:30 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by edl' post='432290' date='Jun 6 2007, 12:23 AM
Many thanks IM - what are some of the typical issues that people have that require a module update that in turn will update all the systems? - for example, i have the false alarm with the right front window where it goes up half way and believes it has hit something - in fixing that, will they end up doing the full update? - thanks again, ed
You'll allways get the newest version, so everything will be updated if there is an update for the module.
The last big fix was the CD issue. The CD kept spinnig when the key was taken out. When you come back your CD was a couple tracks further as it was when you parked the car.
With 25 this was fixed.
Old 06-05-2007, 02:47 PM
edl
Members

Originally Posted by Iceman' post='432294' date='Jun 5 2007, 05:30 PM
You'll allways get the newest version, so everything will be updated if there is an update for the module.
The last big fix was the CD issue. The CD kept spinnig when the key was taken out. When you come back your CD was a couple tracks further as it was when you parked the car.
With 25 this was fixed.
perfect!
Old 06-05-2007, 03:22 PM
Members

My Ride: November 2005, E61 535d SE Sapphire Black, Black Dakota Leather Comfort Seats, Dark Poplar trim, Pro Navigation, Bluetooth Phone Prep, 6xCD Changer, High Gloss Shadowline, Xenons, folding mirrors, removable towbar, plus other options, Style 166 (M5) 19" alloys (ditched the runflats!)

Originally Posted by edl' post='432290' date='Jun 5 2007, 11:23 PM
I believe that the window issue may not generate a software update as I believe it is down to the 'glides'. I seem to recall my dealer changing them on my car as they were too restrictive, thus the window stopping half way up/down when the one touch operation was used. If this is the case then you probably would not get a software update. I would go with the 'CD advancing when car is switched off' syndrome to guarantee a software update. My car suffered this for a long time and I had a couple of software updates, but it didn't finally get resolved until Progman v.25xx came out.

Doogie
Old 06-05-2007, 06:16 PM
edl
Members

thx!
Old 06-06-2007, 01:30 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: G30 530i M-sport
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by edl' post='432290' date='Jun 6 2007, 12:23 AM

Why or when they give you an update seems to vary from dealer to dealer. My car was delivered to me on March 20th this year (I bought it CPO) and I told them I was not getting TMC (RTTI for those of you in the US) messages and they told me to bring it in for an update. Given the date on which it was delivered to me, I would not be surprised if it already had Progman 25.0.0 on it, and they are now putting on 25.1.0, or so I am told.

It's in at the moment, and I get it back tomorrow. Am real curious to see what they have achieved with it.

MacSid

ps. the TMC messages sorted themselves out in the interim when I started using the 2007-01 Nav DVd, but I have not told the dealers that
Old 06-07-2007, 09:42 AM
Members

I don't think my MASK March 2004 has ever been updated. The hidden menu says 04-09-500 which is earlier than version 16. I'm keen to get it upgraded FOC so that I have the option of installing an ipod adapter without paying mega bucks for the necessary ProgMan upgrade. The cd spinning issue doesn't hold, mine works perfectly. How else can I get the upgrade under my used BMW warranty?
Old 06-07-2007, 10:09 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by KeithL' post='433108' date='Jun 7 2007, 07:42 PM
I don't think my MASK March 2004 has ever been updated. The hidden menu says 04-09-500 which is earlier than version 16. I'm keen to get it upgraded FOC so that I have the option of installing an ipod adapter without paying mega bucks for the necessary ProgMan upgrade. The cd spinning issue doesn't hold, mine works perfectly. How else can I get the upgrade under my used BMW warranty?
Sounds like you're on CIP 13.

Check the list that is posted here on the forum to find what the CIP updates fix.