E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Switching ON/OFF for dummies :-)

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2005, 06:47 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know that we can push the knob near the cd slot to "mute" the system but....is it possible to completely switch it off?
I mean, no cd spinning, no radio etc.etc.?
Just a dumb question. <_<
Luca
Old 12-13-2005, 06:55 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Jet Black 545i

NO

Just like you can't have the A/C fan stay completely OFF after switching the car off for a period of time.

Sometimes I wonder if BMW engineers have any comon sense.
Old 12-13-2005, 07:07 AM
Senior Members

Sorry, but how is it not "off"? The CD isn't spinning, so by any definition the "mute" function is "off".
Old 12-13-2005, 07:14 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by browellm' post='210689' date='Dec 13 2005, 11:07 AM
Sorry, but how is it not "off"? The CD isn't spinning, so by any definition the "mute" function is "off".
I think the CD is, in fact, spinning if you use the mute function. That's how it's able to resume play right where you left off (at least in the later software versions.)

I'm curious why it matters though. So what if the disc is spinning? Is it all about extra wear and tear on components? If so, then I understand, I guess...
Old 12-13-2005, 07:34 AM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

I wonder that perhaps the CD data (digital) is stored in memory under certain conditions that would allow the CD to spin down and stop. Then if asked to restart it spins up and goes to the correct spot? Seems like if you switched to Radio or other source for a long time it would cause significant mechanical wear to simply remain spinning all the time. I'll have to check some other systems of mine and see what they do under similar circumstances.
Old 12-13-2005, 07:43 AM
Members

Rudy it's not a "matter of matters", it's just curiosity :-))

I've never heard of an enetertainment system (home or car use) that doesn't allow you to switch it off.

The "mute" symbol just seemed to me that the system was not STOPPED but simply "muted".

Luca
Old 12-13-2005, 08:15 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i, Silver Grey, Sport Package, R. Shades, Cold Pkg, Sat. Rad., Prem. Sound.

Originally Posted by tomwid' post='210686

I've never heard of an enetertainment system (home or car use) that doesn't allow you to switch it off.

The "mute" symbol just seemed to me that the system was not STOPPED but simply "muted".

Luca
Mute it is . . . Let me share a thought from the geeks' corner.

"The life span of the entertainment system is much longer than the time a person uses the car, so why turn it off. That's just more complicated. Beside, we have designed a filter to the system to prevent/bypass spikes from engine start/stop. If the LCD burns out, replace it."

OK. All that doesn't make sense. It's not suppose to.
Old 12-13-2005, 10:30 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by LukeV' post='210702' date='Dec 13 2005, 11:43 AM

Luca
So, what happens with the changer? Is the last accessed disk spinning all the time too? What's happening with NAV when not in use? Is the FM radio on all the time? Hummm. I can't say that I care much about what's happening with respect to on and off except for mechanical components. Some will disagree, but the jury still is out on whether, for example, turning an amplifier off when not in use or leaving it on all the time promotes the greatest longeivity or the smallest expected repair costs. OK, me starting now.
Old 12-13-2005, 11:08 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i, Silver Grey, Sport Package, R. Shades, Cold Pkg, Sat. Rad., Prem. Sound.

Originally Posted by vnod' post='210754

Luca
So, what happens with the changer? Is the last accessed disk spinning all the time too? What's happening with NAV when not in use? Is the FM radio on all the time? Hummm. I can't say that I care much about what's happening with respect to on and off except for mechanical components. Some will disagree, but the jury still is out on whether, for example, turning an amplifier off when not in use or leaving it on all the time promotes the greatest longeivity or the smallest expected repair costs. OK, me starting now.
[/quote]

Depends . . . if it's a moving component, best to have it stop and start (to prevent wear). If the component heats, keep it running and provide a cool temperature (eg. you see light bulbs go out when you turn on the light, and zap). Most electronics have both. In any case, we don't have a choice in the e60. So there.
Old 12-13-2005, 11:15 AM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

Originally Posted by vnod' post='210754

Luca
[/quote]
Spending about the last 40 years in radar, large computers, telemetry and other large instrumentation systems we developed some sound basis for leaving "High" power systems on 24/7 (365) to increase longevity. This included vacuum tube type systems and systems with klystrons, magnetrons, servo systems and the like. However, the lower the voltage and current and the more digital you got, then the delta came down to near equal failure rates. Usually mechanical systems like spinning hard drives, turntables, etc are rated with MTBF (Mean Time Between Failure) rates of 50,000 operating hours minimum and usually more. So we are talking of 6 years continuous operation rating for many of the audio drive systems were are talking about. And probably even longer on average.

Quick Reply: Switching ON/OFF for dummies :-)