E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

swirl flap removal

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2010, 12:45 AM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

just got the swirl flaps removed in my 05 520d and i do remember reading a really long thread on the forums and its supposed to have no adverse effect on the car, in fact its supposed to make it smoother.
different experience here i must say.
the car is really sluggish now and in low gears/low revs it barely accelerates. the car is remapped too so it seems like all the remap bonus is gone, that nice torque "pull" is all but gone. the car drives worse than before i did the remap and remove the flaps
no idea whats going on. someone else experience this? MAF sensor?
Old 11-01-2010, 04:05 AM
KAF
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: F11 535i M-Sport,, Silver, Black Leather, LED Adaptive headlights
Model Year: 2015
Engine: N55

Don't see how removing the swirl flaps would do this as later cars were produced without them.

Almost sounds like a turbo malfunction.
Old 11-01-2010, 04:12 AM
Senior Members

well the swirl flaps shouldnt affect it at all. the car was a bit like that before removing them anyway. is just that now you can feel it more.
the turbo works fine in higher gears/revs. i had a mechanic check the turbo parameters while driving and the computer showed its fine, but the MAF reading was fluctuating which is why i'm thinking its that. havent got a chance to remove it and clean it to see if it makes a difference.
do the e60s diesel have a limiter on the turbo on the likes of 1st and 2nd gear? according to specs should kick in at 1750 rpms.
Old 11-01-2010, 08:28 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by sd_dracula
well the swirl flaps shouldnt affect it at all. the car was a bit like that before removing them anyway. is just that now you can feel it more.
the turbo works fine in higher gears/revs. i had a mechanic check the turbo parameters while driving and the computer showed its fine, but the MAF reading was fluctuating which is why i'm thinking its that. havent got a chance to remove it and clean it to see if it makes a difference.
do the e60s diesel have a limiter on the turbo on the likes of 1st and 2nd gear? according to specs should kick in at 1750 rpms.
A quick thing to try is unplugging the MAF and see it drives better check the vacuum lines as well... more likely them

Any error codes?
Old 11-01-2010, 01:46 PM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: Bmw 530d 2004

Sorry to hear, but I'm 100% sure it's not because of the removal of swirl flaps. It is something else. Unplug and replug all electric harnesses, check the charged air tubing etc.

I hope you get it solved.

- Antti -

ps. The long thread you're talking about locates on a DIY section.
Old 11-01-2010, 03:47 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 530d auto ,Carbon black,all options but HUD and sunroof

As Antti says check and recheck all connections, vacum lines and electrical s.
I was distracted by tel/call during final assembly, then started the engine to my horror , engine light was on. After rechecking,I found the quick release clip on EGR was not in place. connecting it cured the problem. I have had the emission measured before and after removal and there is hardly any difference, performance is as strong as before.
Good luck
Old 11-02-2010, 12:34 AM
Senior Members

ok so that was done by a mechanic who has done lots of these before so i know (hope) he didnt do anything wrong. he was saying he found a bit of oil in the EGR and he cleaned it. we will try the MAF tomorrow and see. no error codes show up but then again the MAF doesnt always show errors so hopefully its just that.
another thing i've noticed literally right after the flaps were taken out is that the car doesnt mind as much if for example you're in 5th gear and doing 80km which it didnt like before. and also now its really hard to even get to 3000 rpm in 4th 5th or 6th gear! before it was going up real fast if you floor it, can still feel the turbo kicking in tho. is that normal?
Old 11-02-2010, 11:03 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: Bmw 530d 2004

ok so that was done by a mechanic who has done lots of these before so i know (hope) he didnt do anything wrong. he was saying he found a bit of oil in the EGR and he cleaned it. we will try the MAF tomorrow and see. no error codes show up but then again the MAF doesnt always show errors so hopefully its just that.
another thing i've noticed literally right after the flaps were taken out is that the car doesnt mind as much if for example you're in 5th gear and doing 80km which it didnt like before. and also now its really hard to even get to 3000 rpm in 4th 5th or 6th gear! before it was going up real fast if you floor it, can still feel the turbo kicking in tho. is that normal?
Could be the clogged DPF. Check all the vacuum pipes in the engine compartment also. They tend to get brittle.

- Antti -
Old 11-03-2010, 12:37 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Anzafin
Could be the clogged DPF. Check all the vacuum pipes in the engine compartment also. They tend to get brittle.

- Antti -
yeah guess i'm going to get my guy to have a look at all those things at the weekend. thanks.
Old 11-10-2010, 12:20 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 520d - 19" 172s- Remapped - LCI taillights V6 cables - LCI xenon headlights - Denison 500 with BTA1500 - led interior lights - OEM led number plate lights Planned mods: Folding mirrors - Modmynav kit - High gloss shadowline trim -

yeah guess i'm going to get my guy to have a look at all those things at the weekend. thanks.
Any updates?