E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Sway Bar Refresh question....

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2014, 02:12 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: 530i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: M54

Originally Posted by Quarta2six
93K orginal sport suspension
Your shocks are completely shot if they have 93K miles on them. I'd start there.
Old 04-10-2014, 05:12 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 04' 545, 6 Spd Manual, Blk Lthr, Sport Pkg, Sport Sts, Logic 7, Cold Wthr Pkg, Full L.E.D. Interior, Red Eng. Cvr, Mtech Front Bmpr, M5 Spoiler, Matte Blk Grill, Red Caps, Slttd & Drlld Rotors, 20

Originally Posted by turboawd
does your car stay flat in the turns?
have you ever changed your power steering fluid? the active roll system runs off the power steering pump.
do you have a cable and software? do a test.
I'm not positive but I'm pretty sure it's working don't think this is my problem. I think it's bigger then that. I've been looking for a good eBay source to get a cable and some software from I put a post up not to long ago. Someone gave me a link to a guy on eBay. Just haven't ordered it yet. Do you have an alternative place I can try?

Originally Posted by KyleB
Your shocks are completely shot if they have 93K miles on them. I'd start there.
Yea I know they're probably gone, just been putting it off. Guess it's time to get these coils. So let's just say I put the new suspension on n I still have the problem anything else to check over? The end links and bushing front and rear should I swap those as a preventative thing?
Old 04-10-2014, 10:51 AM
Members
Senior Members

Yea I know they're probably gone, just been putting it off. Guess it's time to get these coils. So let's just say I put the new suspension on n I still have the problem anything else to check over? The end links and bushing front and rear should I swap those as a preventative thing?
I wouldn't worry about sway bar links unless they are noticeably worn. I replaced mine when I did my front end, but only because the dust boots were completely torn on both, and I was 'already in there'. Ditto for the sway bar bushings. Shocks are most definitely toast at 93K. Worn shocks make a huuuuuge difference in handling.
Old 04-10-2014, 11:07 AM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: 04' 545, 6 Spd Manual, Blk Lthr, Sport Pkg, Sport Sts, Logic 7, Cold Wthr Pkg, Full L.E.D. Interior, Red Eng. Cvr, Mtech Front Bmpr, M5 Spoiler, Matte Blk Grill, Red Caps, Slttd & Drlld Rotors, 20

I wouldn't worry about sway bar links unless they are noticeably worn. I replaced mine when I did my front end, but only because the dust boots were completely torn on both, and I was 'already in there'. Ditto for the sway bar bushings. Shocks are most definitely toast at 93K. Worn shocks make a huuuuuge difference in handling.
Cool, going to order some coils over the weekend, I've been contemplating for a while I'm going to go with the ST's... Not spending almost 2k on street comforts or v2's when my car is getting to that point other stuff is going to need to be refreshed. Let alone the unexpected crap. I'm going to order tie rods while I'm at it so I can get 1 alignment and be done with it. Get the whole assembly right not just outer?
Old 04-10-2014, 12:12 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

Cool, going to order some coils over the weekend, I've been contemplating for a while I'm going to go with the ST's... Not spending almost 2k on street comforts or v2's when my car is getting to that point other stuff is going to need to be refreshed. Let alone the unexpected crap. I'm going to order tie rods while I'm at it so I can get 1 alignment and be done with it. Get the whole assembly right not just outer?
dont just order tie rods for the hell of it. what if you have worn ball joints? or worn control arm bushings? which are both more common wear items.
i'd inspect what needs changing. or change everything! lol
Old 04-10-2014, 03:34 PM
Members
Senior Members

dont just order tie rods for the hell of it. what if you have worn ball joints? or worn control arm bushings? which are both more common wear items.
+1. no sense in changing tie rods if they're not worn. mine weren't at 93K when I did control arms and tension struts, nor were they at 104K when i did OE sport springs/bilsteins. they're easy to get to if needed. if they're not worn, leave them alone.
Old 04-14-2014, 06:34 AM
Members
Senior Members

+1. no sense in changing tie rods if they're not worn. mine weren't at 93K when I did control arms and tension struts, nor were they at 104K when i did OE sport springs/bilsteins. they're easy to get to if needed. if they're not worn, leave them alone.
Ok cool thanks for the advice... one more question when i receive and install the suspension how long after should I wait for springs to settle before gettin an alignment? holding hands at 9and3 still a good way to check tie rods, as well as a visual inspection of the boot?
Old 04-14-2014, 08:04 AM
Members
Senior Members

Ok cool thanks for the advice... one more question when i receive and install the suspension how long after should I wait for springs to settle before gettin an alignment? holding hands at 9and3 still a good way to check tie rods, as well as a visual inspection of the boot?
drive 2-300 miles, then get an alignment

best way to check tie rods is to have the car elevated and check the ball joint for freeplay where it bolts into the spindle. obviously you'll have the car elevated and wheels off to do the shocks, so that's the perfect time to check everything in the front end.

good luck with the car.
Old 04-14-2014, 09:46 AM
Members
Senior Members

best way to check tie rods is to have the car elevated and check the ball joint for freeplay where it bolts into the spindle. obviously you'll have the car elevated and wheels off to do the shocks, so that's the perfect time to check everything in the front end.

good luck with the car.
cool, thank you
Old 04-18-2014, 12:56 PM
Members
Senior Members

good luck with the car.
Ordered some coils this week... I should be good with these 2 References right? https://5series.net/forums/diy-do-yo...nstall-122533/ and https://5series.net/forums/diy-do-yo...install-85378/.

Quick Reply: Sway Bar Refresh question....