E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Sway Bar Refresh question....

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2014, 10:45 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 04' 545, 6 Spd Manual, Blk Lthr, Sport Pkg, Sport Sts, Logic 7, Cold Wthr Pkg, Full L.E.D. Interior, Red Eng. Cvr, Mtech Front Bmpr, M5 Spoiler, Matte Blk Grill, Red Caps, Slttd & Drlld Rotors, 20
Model Year: 2004
Default Sway Bar Refresh question....

Wassup fellas, been planning on changing my sway bar bushing and end links because my car has been moving alot over bumps and it never really did that before, also car has 93k on it and these parts have never been replaced. I know for sure im doing the front bushings and end links. My question is are the rears that important? Since I was under there I was just going to do them all.
(forgot to mention I do have active sway bars in case anyone asked)

Part # for the rears 33506781537
Bushings rear 37126761022
Part # for the fronts 31306781547/48
bushings front 31356753913

All help appreciated!!!

Last edited by Quarta2six; 04-01-2014 at 12:01 PM. Reason: left out some info
Old 04-02-2014, 05:15 AM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: 04' 545, 6 Spd Manual, Blk Lthr, Sport Pkg, Sport Sts, Logic 7, Cold Wthr Pkg, Full L.E.D. Interior, Red Eng. Cvr, Mtech Front Bmpr, M5 Spoiler, Matte Blk Grill, Red Caps, Slttd & Drlld Rotors, 20

Anyone?
Old 04-04-2014, 05:24 AM
Members
Senior Members

Sooooo NO ONE has done this? Thought I'd get a couple suggestions.
Old 04-07-2014, 06:05 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2009 535xi

funny I just did this last weekend I noticed my rears when had the car up and I think I will change them soon the boots still looked good and were not ripped or cracked fronts were easy took about 45 min to do both sides
Old 04-07-2014, 07:44 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: 530i
Engine: M54

I replaced end links in the front while I was doing my front suspension. My car was also moving around quite a bit, but it was due to worn tension struts and ball joints at the control arm. Worn suspension parts like tension struts and/or control arms are more likely to cause the symptoms you're describing. Have you ever replaced anything in the front of the car?
Old 04-09-2014, 05:43 AM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by md750i
funny I just did this last weekend I noticed my rears when had the car up and I think I will change them soon the boots still looked good and were not ripped or cracked fronts were easy took about 45 min to do both sides
What made you do them any particular symptoms? the rears looked good but that doesnt mean they dont need to be changed thinking about just doing them since I'm under there. Did you replace any bolts? TIS says too but Idk if its exactly necessary.

Originally Posted by KyleB
I replaced end links in the front while I was doing my front suspension. My car was also moving around quite a bit, but it was due to worn tension struts and ball joints at the control arm. Worn suspension parts like tension struts and/or control arms are more likely to cause the symptoms you're describing. Have you ever replaced anything in the front of the car?
I didnt see that anyone responded to this, thanks bro... I've had control arm and tension struts replaced in the front about a year ago maybe, I have to check my records to see exactly when. Could it be tie rods? MY only other guess would be the end links and bushings, does the rear have as much impact as the front? Im trying to hold off on tie rods until I get these coils so I wont have to do 2 alignments. but this swaying over bumps make me feel unsafe I drive too fast for that.
Old 04-09-2014, 04:09 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: 530i
Engine: M54

How old are your shocks, and what suspension do you have on the car? Worn shocks will also make the car feel like it's totally disconnected and 'floating'. Sway bar end links, when worn, will make noise more than have ill effects on handling. As long as they're providing a connection between the sway bar and control arm, they're shouldn't really affect handling.

Age of shocks? Active sway bars working properly (you're not getting fault codes)?

Last edited by KyleB; 04-09-2014 at 04:14 PM.
Old 04-09-2014, 04:27 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

worn sway bar links would typicaly knock or make noise. you may have another issue. are you sure your active roll system is working properly?
Old 04-09-2014, 05:51 PM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by KyleB
How old are your shocks, and what suspension do you have on the car? Worn shocks will also make the car feel like it's totally disconnected and 'floating'. Sway bar end links, when worn, will make noise more than have ill effects on handling. As long as they're providing a connection between the sway bar and control arm, they're shouldn't really affect handling.

Age of shocks? Active sway bars working properly (you're not getting fault codes)?
93K orginal sport suspension, I got the car with 33k a little over 2 years ago. I havent changed them. lets say im on the highway and im in a curve if i hit a bump in the road the car sorta like sways as if its not planted. for like 2 seconds not for long but it was always stiff/tight throughout the turn.. Does that make sense? Im not getting any errors just figured I would start with the end links and bushings. No errors im pretty sure everything is working fine.

Originally Posted by turboawd
worn sway bar links would typicaly knock or make noise. you may have another issue. are you sure your active roll system is working properly?
And no dont hear any knocking noise. Only in cold weather when I turned the wheel the car would sound like flipper (literally) until something warmed up. Doesnt do it in anything above 40 degrees. sounds like rubber on metal going back and forth making a screech.
Old 04-09-2014, 07:55 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

does your car stay flat in the turns?
have you ever changed your power steering fluid? the active roll system runs off the power steering pump.
do you have a cable and software? do a test.

Quick Reply: Sway Bar Refresh question....