E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Swapping suspension

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 11:32 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '05 545i M - Sepang Bronze

i have jst the regular premium package suspension on my car now but i wanna switch to the sport suspension because of the lower ride height. i was wondering if i`m able to do the switch by jst putting in the sport package springs and struts. has anyone done this or have any knowledge of whether it would have any negative affects on my car...the guy at the dealership told me i`m gonna need to change the springs, struts, shocks, sway bars, dampers...and all that jazz...i jst want my car to ride a little lower cuz i put larger rims on recently and my car seems a little high...
Old 06-05-2009, 11:38 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: Bmw 530d 2004

Originally Posted by salteen' post='901895' date='Jun 5 2009, 10:32 PM
i have jst the regular premium package suspension on my car now but i wanna switch to the sport suspension because of the lower ride height. i was wondering if i`m able to do the switch by jst putting in the sport package springs and struts. has anyone done this or have any knowledge of whether it would have any negative affects on my car...the guy at the dealership told me i`m gonna need to change the springs, struts, shocks, sway bars, dampers...and all that jazz...i jst want my car to ride a little lower cuz i put larger rims on recently and my car seems a little high...
Welcome to the forums!

I used to have a non-sport suspension before and I wanted to lower it with the OEM sports suspension, but it appeared to be so expensive to change the needed parts that I decided to go with KW coilovers, which actually came cheaper after all. I'm trying to say that there may be better options available at the same cost as OEM sports suspension.
Old 06-05-2009, 11:48 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Anzafin' post='901898' date='Jun 5 2009, 12:38 PM
Welcome to the forums!

I used to have a non-sport suspension before and I wanted to lower it with the OEM sports suspension, but it appeared to be so expensive to change the needed parts that I decided to go with KW coilovers, which actually came cheaper after all. I'm trying to say that there may be better options available at the same cost as OEM sports suspension.
Get the KW V2's. I read on here on one of the threads ( i think it was a vendor) offering it for $1800 installed. Its a better idea b/c you never know when that mod bug is going to bite. Next thing you know you have 20" wheels and slammed to the ground.....the KW's will definitely be the better choice
Old 06-05-2009, 11:52 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2015 535D M Sport

Originally Posted by salteen' post='901895' date='Jun 5 2009, 02:32 PM
Sport includes active roll stabilization which is a hydraulic & electronic system that keeps the car level in the twisties. I don't think it is practical to retrofit it to a non-sport. The M5 does not have the ARS feature and probably has a suspension closer to what you are after. Perhaps you could swap in M5 parts, and if you can find them at a recylcer you might save big.
Old 06-05-2009, 11:54 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: Bmw 530d 2004

Originally Posted by BulldogE60' post='901909' date='Jun 5 2009, 10:48 PM
Get the KW V2's. I read on here on one of the threads ( i think it was a vendor) offering it for $1800 installed. Its a better idea b/c you never know when that mod bug is going to bite. Next thing you know you have 20" wheels and slammed to the ground.....the KW's will definitely be the better choice
I went with the Street Comfort .
Old 06-05-2009, 12:05 PM
Members

i basically want to keep the stock ride/feel...i`ve been in e60`s wit aftermarket suspensions and they never feel the same...its a bumpier ride...
as per the m5 suspension idea...could you elaborate on that...i.e. wats ars and would i be able to do a straight swap for the m5 springs, struts, and potentially shocks...
Old 06-05-2009, 12:06 PM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Hi salteen and welcome to the Forum.

I had the standard suspension and went for a Eibach Pro Kit,
changing only the springs.

Here's the result, without loosing too much of the comfort.
Attached Thumbnails Swapping suspension-ygu_50.jpg  
Old 06-05-2009, 12:18 PM
Contributors

I know you are looking for an OEM setup and we are giving you aftermarket suspension options b/c it just would not be worth the $$$ to make the switch to OEM sport suspension.

The eibachs are great as well, solid ride. Only problem is its not adjustable. The KW however is and if you do a quick search people in your same situation (ride comfort) have gone with KW's and are very happy they did. Again just my opinion.

I'm no M5 expert, but wouldn't the M5 suspension give you a much stiffer ride?
Old 06-05-2009, 12:20 PM
Members

quick couple of points...i have 20" rims so i need something that wont cause any rubbing...i jst need to come down about an inch in back and like 1.4 in the front...
heres wat my car looks like now...
Attached Thumbnails Swapping suspension-img00154_20090605_1038.jpg  
Old 06-05-2009, 01:44 PM
Contributors

It might just be the shade and color of your car, but it looks good as it is haha.

BTW, nice drive way

Quick Reply: Swapping suspension