E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

suspension/runflats

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2007, 01:01 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 320d SE (E90) manual - Sapphire Black, Beige Leather Sports Seats, Burled Walnut, Heated Seats, Sunroof, Comfort Access, Hi-Fi sound, Bluetooth, Side-Window blinds, Through-Load, Luggage Net, PDC Front & Rear, Adaptive Xenons, Style 158 17", Chrome Grill & Window Trim, Blackline Tailights, Power folding/dimming side mirrors, Split Armrest, Dual Zone Climate, Cruise, LEDs on door handles, iPod nano, SE K750i

Originally Posted by vern' post='380668' date='Jan 19 2007, 09:05 PM
I'm glad you posted the information about RFT's and the suspension. I've been saying that since before I purchased my 530i and some people felt it didn't make a difference, I guess because they are so against RFT's nothing will change there mind. IMO BMW isn't BSing anyone.

When I first heard about the concept of run-flats I was very excited and positive about it.
The added safety, security and convenience seemed like such a great development in car design.
I still think that the concept is a great one BUT ... the trade-off in ride quality and in some cases handling just isn't one I'm happy to accept.

Either the technology hasn't been perfected yet and we are just suffering the pain typical of early adaptors OR the technology is fundamentally flawed and will never work. I don't know how it will pan out in the next few years. I would prefer to see run flats improved to a point that they are as good as (or better than) normal tyres. I want to have them...

In the meanwhile though, I just want BMW to give me a choice when I order the car from the factory.
If some customers want a car with normal tyres they should be allowed to order one (with whatever suspension settings are compatible with that setup). If some customers want the RF setup and can live with the trade-offs, they should be able to order that (again with whatever suspension tuning needs to be done to that configuration).
Old 01-19-2007, 01:20 PM
Members

My Ride: 535dSE - Amethyst Grey, No model insc, standard wheels, Dynamic Drive, Rear side airbags, Auto-dim ext & int mirrors, Myrtle wood trim, Amethyst-Exclusive Leather, Heated front & rear seats, Active front seats, Electric comfort seats, Visibilty Pack, Pro Sat-Nav with TV, Bluetooth, Sun Protection glass.

Originally Posted by fraseman999' post='380569' date='Jan 19 2007, 04:39 PM
I posted something last night with regards to suspension and runflats. I am posting again due to the great info i have just had from bmw uk customer service.
The e60 is according to them made for runflats. The computer systems and i drive ect are all designed to take the extra jarring caused by the runflats.
This next one was a bit of a surprise. The standard suspension and the sports suspension are both made softer than standard to take account of the firmness of the tyres.
He advised me not to move from runflats to standard tyres because the ride would become too soft on standard suspension.
My car has sports suspension so he said it maybe ok to try it.
He said that the correct thing to do would be to put standard suspension in place of the sports. Too expensive so wont be doing that.
The other option is to take the 18 inch wheels off and go to 17 inch.

I wonder if most of the guys who have got rid off the runflats have sports suspension.

Do any of you that have standard suspension notice it too soft with non runflats?
It's obvious BS. Why tell you in one breath that the systems have been hardened to cope with the extra jarring and then tell you the suspension's been softened to compensate for the tyres?

I've got an E61 with Dynamic Drive (standardish springs - trick anti-roll bars) on 17" wheels. The Bridgestone RFs ruined the car. Their only upside for me is super-sharp steering response because there is so little flex in the sidewall. Everything else is rubbish for the same reason. Since I've replaced them the car's stopped tramlining (so bad it was almost dangerous), it's much quieter and the ride is better because every small pimple and ripple is not transmitted any more. To my mind handling and grip are well up anything I want on a public road. If you want to go on a track you'd need different tyres/wheels/suspension anyway. Let's not forget it's a four seater car and it has to cope with a wide range of demands on its suspension.

I know it's tempting fate to say it, but I must have done close to a million miles driving and I've never had a catastrophic tyre failure and I don't know anyone who has. What clinched the change for me was when I had a slow puncture in one of the RFs and I tried to get a repair/replacement. No-one would repair it (against company regulations) or could get a replacement quickly. This means that there's a good chance that your runflat will let you get to a tyre dealer or BM dealer and then what? Wait a few days for it to be sorted? Not much good if you're 200 miles from home. What the hell is wrong with a full size spare?
Old 01-19-2007, 01:23 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by den535d' post='380709' date='Jan 19 2007, 10:20 PM
What the hell is wrong with a full size spare?
Tried to fit one in the donut recess??

ABC
Old 01-19-2007, 01:25 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by 07530d' post='380683' date='Jan 19 2007, 09:42 PM
May be the wrong place to ask this - the E46 M3 I just bought, I forgot to check about Run flats, the drive felt very secure - will it have runflats (standard 18 inch alloys) I collect next week
You're safe! M-models would never handle so sweetly with RF's...
Old 01-19-2007, 01:27 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by red-max' post='380662' date='Jan 19 2007, 08:47 PM
E9x because there's no space for a spare.
Not even room for a space-saver?
Old 01-19-2007, 01:34 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 320d SE (E90) manual - Sapphire Black, Beige Leather Sports Seats, Burled Walnut, Heated Seats, Sunroof, Comfort Access, Hi-Fi sound, Bluetooth, Side-Window blinds, Through-Load, Luggage Net, PDC Front & Rear, Adaptive Xenons, Style 158 17", Chrome Grill & Window Trim, Blackline Tailights, Power folding/dimming side mirrors, Split Armrest, Dual Zone Climate, Cruise, LEDs on door handles, iPod nano, SE K750i

Originally Posted by colejl' post='380714' date='Jan 19 2007, 10:27 PM
Not even room for a space-saver?
Nope...

If you ditch run-flats the only practical option is to carry a can a tyreweld, a portable compressor and a mobile phone to call the flatbed rescue truck (when the tyre weld just doesn't cut it). Some people are carrying a spare and a jack strapped down in the boot but that doesn't leave much room for luggage! And... if you dump your run-flats and get a puncture BMW assist won't help you out of it...

Not a pretty picture...
Old 01-19-2007, 01:39 PM
Members

My Ride: 535dSE - Amethyst Grey, No model insc, standard wheels, Dynamic Drive, Rear side airbags, Auto-dim ext & int mirrors, Myrtle wood trim, Amethyst-Exclusive Leather, Heated front & rear seats, Active front seats, Electric comfort seats, Visibilty Pack, Pro Sat-Nav with TV, Bluetooth, Sun Protection glass.

Originally Posted by aybeesea' post='380712' date='Jan 19 2007, 10:23 PM
Tried to fit one in the donut recess??

ABC
Yeah I did. It doesn't work without removing all the processor and relays and putting them somewhere else. That's beyond me but not BMW. Take all that out and it's deep enough to take a wheel. I just had to make do with a spacesaver.
Old 01-19-2007, 01:45 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Raighne' post='380718' date='Jan 19 2007, 10:34 PM
Nope...

If you ditch run-flats the only practical option is to carry a can a tyreweld, a portable compressor and a mobile phone to call the flatbed rescue truck (when the tyre weld just doesn't cut it). Some people are carrying a spare and a jack strapped down in the boot but that doesn't leave much room for luggage! And... if you dump your run-flats and get a puncture BMW assist won't help you out of it...

Not a pretty picture...
:thumbsdown:
Old 01-19-2007, 01:51 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by colejl' post='380726' date='Jan 20 2007, 02:45 AM
:thumbsdown:
Old 01-19-2007, 02:04 PM
KAF
Contributors

My Ride: F11 535i M-Sport,, Silver, Black Leather, LED Adaptive headlights
Model Year: 2015
Engine: N55

Next question is.........how many of you would buy the F10 if it comes only with runflats and no room for any kind of spare?

I my case, no chance, unless they improve RFT's a hell of a lot in the next 3 years.

A puncture on a RFT with a full load of passengers + luggage, no spare and I can only drive it 30 Miles??

That my friends is not progress.