E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Suspension issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2014, 11:17 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 530D
Unhappy Suspension issue

Hey guys car is going in Monday and after some research I think I've narrowed the issue down to a point just wanna run it by you guys for some confirmation as its gonna cost a few quid l and I don't want to replace stuff for the hell of it especially if wrong.

So

E60 530d M Sport

Symptom

Light shimmy from about 40mph all the way up to 100mph not been faster, constant repetition doesn't seem to change with speed, maybe wrong as very light shimmy much like wheel balance issue.

Under sporty driving using brakes and hard cornering shimmy becomes more pronounced, (feels like serious balancing issue) and braking turns into wobble on steering wheel requires holding steering wheel firm, hard braking feels like less shimmy. Cornering produces and on and off (sht sht sht sht) rubbing mainly turning left but on extreme rights can be heard too.

Pronounced feeling reduces to shimmy once calmer driving is used and braking is normal with shimmy still noticeable.

Shimmy never disappears

Tried bedding in brakes in case of warped discs or pad deposits. No effect.

Jacked vehicle up and noted slack in driver side wheel from 9 to 3 o'clock 12 to 6 o'clock solid
Passenger wheel tested the same no play either direction

Also noted spinning drivers wheel brake rubs constant but not enough to stop wheel immediately (sssssssssssh)

Passenger wheel spun, brake rubs on high spot (sht sht sht) spins slightly longer

Both discs normal colouration, drivers side has outer rust ring, passenger does not.

I think its the lower control arms but I'm told the bushing on the upper control arm is the culprit

I dunno which one or if this is the cause thus my question any and all help greatly appreciated I'd like to be confident in my decision on Monday.

Luke.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk