E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Suspension Help *Clunking Noise*

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2013, 08:54 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Silver 550i: Orion V2 - LCI Tail Lights - VRM 710 (Powder Coated Matt Black) - Magnaflow Cat Back Exhaust - Painted Brake Calipers (Red) - Painted Rear MTEC Kit (Black) - Window Tint (Windshield 70% - All other Windows 55% - Smoked Side Markers
Model Year: 2007
Default Suspension Help *Clunking Noise*

Hey guys. I am in need of some advice. I have 2007 550 with 60k. I have replaced my whole front end of my car. I went with Meyle. Changed: Front & Rear Control Arms, Sway Bar Links, Tie Rods. Also installed a Coilover system by ST. After I noticed a clunking sound. My Mechanic heard it and as he suggested to change my strut mounts. So I went ahead and ordered OEM mounts by Sachs. rechecked everything to make sure it was put back together and good to go. Well its not. The same sound is still there. It sounds as if it is coming high behind the dashboard. I am lost and frustrated, Any input or guidence would be greatly appreciated before taking my front end apart for a third time. Thanks
Old 08-15-2013, 10:42 PM
New Members

My Ride: 545

Is everything tightened down torqued and adjusted properly ? Fitment is good ?
Old 08-15-2013, 10:58 PM
Members

My Ride: Silver 550i: Orion V2 - LCI Tail Lights - VRM 710 (Powder Coated Matt Black) - Magnaflow Cat Back Exhaust - Painted Brake Calipers (Red) - Painted Rear MTEC Kit (Black) - Window Tint (Windshield 70% - All other Windows 55% - Smoked Side Markers

Before tightening everything down he put the suspension under load. then he tightened them up. the torque specs I am unaware of what they are. I know things are tight he used an air drill then he made it a little tighter by hand.
Old 08-16-2013, 09:57 AM
Members

If you guys know anyone or a place where I can get some advice that would be helpful. I called Meyle and they told me to check the sway bar bracket and also see if there is any play where the Tie rods are. I am planning on taking my car to him to have it taken apart tomorrow. Also I was reccomended by him to try and get an alignment. I been holding off on an alignment because I would have to get it redone everytime my front end becomes disassembled and reassembled.
Has anyone done this before??
Old 08-16-2013, 12:33 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check the bolts for the factory strut tower braces going from the top of the strut/fender to the center of the firewall. They usually work themselves loose over time causing the clunking sound from behind the firewall over bumps. Two per brace. You may need to remove some trim to get at the ones on the firewall. You'll need a star bit to tighten them...

Name:  DSC_0332.jpg
Views: 1711
Size:  51.2 KB

Last edited by Jim165; 08-16-2013 at 12:37 PM.
Old 08-16-2013, 03:03 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Jim165
Check the bolts for the factory strut tower braces going from the top of the strut/fender to the center of the firewall. They usually work themselves loose over time causing the clunking sound from behind the firewall over bumps. Two per brace. You may need to remove some trim to get at the ones on the firewall. You'll need a star bit to tighten them...

I will also look behind the micro air filter where is the tower meets the chassis the center thank you for that advice
Old 08-16-2013, 03:56 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 E60 545i Manual, Sport, L7
Model Year: 2005

Check this https://5series.net/forums/e60-discu...r-help-134358/ maybe you have same problem
Old 08-17-2013, 01:28 AM
Members

Jim & Margal Thank you. The issue was two loose bolts that were in the center of the tower brace. I didn't have anything for leverage, I tightened them up as tight as I could. Issue is gone and feels better as well. Thank you very much.
Old 08-17-2013, 12:34 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TU2TLE
Jim & Margal Thank you. The issue was two loose bolts that were in the center of the tower brace. I didn't have anything for leverage, I tightened them up as tight as I could. Issue is gone and feels better as well. Thank you very much.
Great to hear, glad it worked. Actually checked mine since you mentioned it and mine were loose as well!
Old 08-17-2013, 02:43 PM
Members

It makes a noticeable difference in the way it drives and handles what does strut tower brace completely torque down. The car drives much better with a brand new suspension and front end. I could not be any happier. The only thing I wish is for BMW to build their sport series vehicles with these types of suspensions.I am very happy with Meyle front end and the ST coil over system. I highly recommend it for everyone.

Quick Reply: Suspension Help *Clunking Noise*