E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Surprises are wonderful

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2010, 03:31 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So this morning was perfect to drive over to my indy and have my UHP Summer Tires and wheels switched for the all-season set on the CSL's. I had a couple of minor bends taken care of by a local wheel repair shop and was ready to rock and roll. About an hour in and out ... back the car out of the shop and drive around front to take care of the bill ... BS for a while ... have a cup of coffee etc ... walk out the door get in and .... c r a n k k k ... no more cranking. Car won't start and iDrive alerts pop up. Everyone who has ever had a battery crap out knows what they look like So, a quick jump start and I drive home to get to another concall and call my BMW dealer SA.

January, a year ago, the battery was replaced under warranty; this June I had another situation where the car was deader than a doornail. That time I jumped started it and the dealer did a complete investigation and deemed that all was OK - including battery condition. The car exhibited no other symptoms that would point to an electrical issue. Battery consistently reads 12.50 VDC without load. No slow cranking or usual indicators.

After I jump started the car while it is running I get about 14.4V showing at the battery so I suspect the alternator is OK.

Unfortunately I can't get to my dealer until next Tuesday because I'm leaving for an out of town business trip. But I did call and alert my SA that I'm coming in as soon as I get back in town. For now, and until I get back, I've connected the battery tender I usually reserve for my Roadster (only driven on nice days!).

The clock ran out on my factory warranty in September - but I have only about 45K miles. Since this condition/issue was reported and investigated while covered and a battery replacement also done within the past 2 years I'm not expecting any coverage issues [ yes, my driving pattern is on-average 45mi/day]. It is a pain that battery issues seem to be reported in a high percentage of e60's