E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Sunroof windnoise - if you have SIB or advice, please read

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2010, 08:35 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All:

I just took my 08 550 (has an 07 production date) in for the 30K service. While there I had a short list of things I wanted them to take care of. One of those issues was the wind noise from the sunroof. I remember reading about this on the forum but can't find the SIB. I told the SA that I would like the seal replaced because it is ridiculously loud if the sunshade is open. He had them "check it out" and supposedly it is as good as it gets and they would not replace the seal.

I searched again today to dig up the BMW service bulletin but can't find it. I'm hoping to find some sort of official document that will help me push the service guys into replacing the seal with the updated part for less noise.

Please let me know if you have any info on this.

Thanks!

Joshua
Old 11-06-2010, 08:52 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 04' 545i, Sport Package, Black, Active Xenon, ARS, Aux Input '10 Tahoe, Black on Black, leather, Nav/XM, 20" tires, full body kit, power 2nd row, loaded '93 Jeep Wrangler, lifted 4.5", 33" meats, Rampage Recovery Bumper w/Tire Swing, etc 25' Aquasport Osprey, Center Console,2012 200 HO Etec

I am not sure the seal will make a difference... You could get one of those tinted deflectors for the front of it but I dont think that looks good...
Old 11-06-2010, 09:34 AM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

SI B54 04 09
Special Roofs March 2010
Technical Service

This Service Information bulletin supersedes SI B54 04 09 dated November 2009.

designates changes to this revision

SUBJECT
Wind Noise or Water Leak from the Sunroof

MODEL
E53 (X5)

E60, E61 (5 Series) produced up to 11/2008

E65, E66 (7 Series)

E70 (X5) produced up to 3/2009

F01, F02 (7 Series) produced up to 12/2008

E71 (X6) produced up to 3/2009

E83 (X3) produced up to 6/2009

E91 (3 Series Sports Wagon) produced up to 3/2009

SITUATION
A wind noise or water leak may be present due to an insufficient seal between the sunroof glass panels and the perimeter seal. This insufficient seal typically takes a year or longer to cause any noticeable problems.

CAUSE

The hollow/bulb-style seal has taken a permanent set in the compressed position.

The seal material has started to deteriorate over time.

CORRECTION
Replace the seal using an updated part, which utilizes a different material with improved durability. In addition, the geometry of the seal has been optimized for improved sealing.

In conjunction with this new style seal, some vehicles may requite a coding update to avoid future problems pertaining to the anti-trap protection being activated when no obstruction is present.

PROCEDURE

Replace the perimeter seal per Repair Instruction REP 54 13 055.

E60 and E61 vehicles produced up to 11/2008:

Program the vehicle using ISTA/P 2.31.2 or later.

E70 and E71 vehicles produced up to 3/2009:

Program the vehicle using ISTA/P 2.33.0 or later.

E83 vehicles produced up to 6/2009:

Program the vehicle using ISTA/P 2.34.0 or later.

E91 vehicles produced up to 3/2009:

E53, E65, and E66 ? No updates are required when fitting the updated seal to these vehicles.

Note that ISTA/P will automatically reprogram and code all programmable control modules that do not have the latest software.

For information on programming and coding with ISTA/P, refer to CenterNet / Aftersales Portal / Service / Workshop Technology / Vehicle Programming.

Other models covered by this Service Information do not require a coding update.

Initialize the sunroof per Repair Instruction RA 54 0... and then operate it several times to ensure that it does not activate anti-trap protection. If anti-trap protection is activated, ensure that the perimeter seal is properly installed and readjust the glass panels. This situation is quite rare.

PARTS INFORMATION
Part Number
Description
Quantity

54 10 7 245 551
Perimeter seal ? standard size sunroof

54 10 7 199 533
Perimeter seal ? panoramic sunroof

WARRANTY INFORMATION
Covered under the terms of the BMW New Vehicle Limited Warranty.

Defect Code:
54 12 20 01 00

Labor Operation:
Labor Allowance:
Description:

54 12 117*
Refer to KSD
Replacing seal for glass sunroof lid

Refer to KSD
Refer to KSD
Program and code control modules

*Main Work - use this labor operation number when this is the only repair being performed, or if this is the main repair when performed along with other repairs at the same time. If this is not the main repair, refer to KSD for the associated (+) labor operation code.

In cases where ISTA requires the replacement of control modules or additional programming because certain control modules failed to program correctly, print out the Measures Plan and Final Report and attach these reports to the RO in the vehicle file. This additional work should be claimed under the defect code listed in this bulletin, using the labor operation and labor allowance from the KSD.
Old 11-06-2010, 10:05 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

I always found it funny that the car needs to be programmed after the sunroof seal is replaced...
Old 11-06-2010, 11:17 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

Originally Posted by jaycal3
I am not sure the seal will make a difference... You could get one of those tinted deflectors for the front of it but I dont think that looks good...
sorry, you're wrong.

a new seal will get rid of the noise completely. i was amazed at how quiet my sunroof got after replacing the seal.

Originally Posted by Rudy
I always found it funny that the car needs to be programmed after the sunroof seal is replaced...
the new seal makes the sunroof tighter to close. the reprogramming is a simple procedure anyways....just a matter of holding the button and running through a cycle. if you search, you'll find the exact procedure.
Old 11-06-2010, 12:08 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by turboawd
the new seal makes the sunroof tighter to close. the reprogramming is a simple procedure anyways....just a matter of holding the button and running through a cycle. if you search, you'll find the exact procedure.
Programming and initialization are two different things...if you search, you'll find the difference.
Old 11-06-2010, 12:43 PM
Members

padre - thank you for the information. Sure enough, my car IS affected by the old seal design failure...now why is it that the service guys have to make things so difficult?

Anyway, I emailed this directly to my SA so hopefully he will order me a new seal.

Thanks again all.

Joshua

Originally Posted by padre
SI B54 04 09
Special Roofs March 2010
Technical Service

This Service Information bulletin supersedes SI B54 04 09 dated November 2009.

designates changes to this revision

SUBJECT
Wind Noise or Water Leak from the Sunroof

MODEL
E53 (X5)

E60, E61 (5 Series) produced up to 11/2008

E65, E66 (7 Series)

E70 (X5) produced up to 3/2009

F01, F02 (7 Series) produced up to 12/2008

E71 (X6) produced up to 3/2009

E83 (X3) produced up to 6/2009

E91 (3 Series Sports Wagon) produced up to 3/2009

SITUATION
A wind noise or water leak may be present due to an insufficient seal between the sunroof glass panels and the perimeter seal. This insufficient seal typically takes a year or longer to cause any noticeable problems.

CAUSE

The hollow/bulb-style seal has taken a permanent set in the compressed position.

The seal material has started to deteriorate over time.

CORRECTION
Replace the seal using an updated part, which utilizes a different material with improved durability. In addition, the geometry of the seal has been optimized for improved sealing.

In conjunction with this new style seal, some vehicles may requite a coding update to avoid future problems pertaining to the anti-trap protection being activated when no obstruction is present.

PROCEDURE

Replace the perimeter seal per Repair Instruction REP 54 13 055.

E60 and E61 vehicles produced up to 11/2008:

Program the vehicle using ISTA/P 2.31.2 or later.

E70 and E71 vehicles produced up to 3/2009:

E83 vehicles produced up to 6/2009:

Program the vehicle using ISTA/P 2.34.0 or later.

E91 vehicles produced up to 3/2009:

E53, E65, and E66 ? No updates are required when fitting the updated seal to these vehicles.

Note that ISTA/P will automatically reprogram and code all programmable control modules that do not have the latest software.

For information on programming and coding with ISTA/P, refer to CenterNet / Aftersales Portal / Service / Workshop Technology / Vehicle Programming.

Other models covered by this Service Information do not require a coding update.

Initialize the sunroof per Repair Instruction RA 54 0... and then operate it several times to ensure that it does not activate anti-trap protection. If anti-trap protection is activated, ensure that the perimeter seal is properly installed and readjust the glass panels. This situation is quite rare.

PARTS INFORMATION
Part Number
Description
Quantity

54 10 7 245 551
Perimeter seal ? standard size sunroof

54 10 7 199 533
Perimeter seal ? panoramic sunroof

WARRANTY INFORMATION
Covered under the terms of the BMW New Vehicle Limited Warranty.

Defect Code:
54 12 20 01 00

Labor Operation:
Labor Allowance:
Description:

54 12 117*
Refer to KSD
Replacing seal for glass sunroof lid

Refer to KSD
Refer to KSD
Program and code control modules

*Main Work - use this labor operation number when this is the only repair being performed, or if this is the main repair when performed along with other repairs at the same time. If this is not the main repair, refer to KSD for the associated (+) labor operation code.

In cases where ISTA requires the replacement of control modules or additional programming because certain control modules failed to program correctly, print out the Measures Plan and Final Report and attach these reports to the RO in the vehicle file. This additional work should be claimed under the defect code listed in this bulletin, using the labor operation and labor allowance from the KSD.
Old 11-06-2010, 01:29 PM
Members

I had mine replaced couple of days ago and surprise surprise I hear the wind noise from the driver door. I expected more from a 60K plus vehicle.

2009 535i Premium, Sport w/paddles, Navi, CA, etc.
Old 11-06-2010, 01:51 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Laci535i
I had mine replaced couple of days ago and surprise surprise I hear the wind noise from the driver door. I expected more from a 60K plus vehicle.

2009 535i Premium, Sport w/paddles, Navi, CA, etc.
Sorry to hear that. I routinely condition the seals to prevent some of the wind noise.
Old 11-06-2010, 03:37 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by turboawd
sorry, you're wrong.

a new seal will get rid of the noise completely. i was amazed at how quiet my sunroof got after replacing the seal.
+1 - mine was done a couple of years ago - made a big difference!

Quick Reply: Sunroof windnoise - if you have SIB or advice, please read