E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Sunroof motor drive broken

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2010, 09:04 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 530i - Sport - 6spd - Orient Blue with Auburn/Anthracite

Hi All,

I don't open the sunroof very often but recently the drive gear seems to be stripped - I hear this buzzing sound while the motion stalls. The panel only moves through part of its range of motion - it'll go up and down in the vent positions, but it will not slide backwards. I have the anti-trap control message every time I start the car. So I guess I have a few questions:

1) is there some common problem that I can check for that might be jamming the panel from sliding backwards, which maybe means the buzzing is just a sign that the motor is slipping some kind of internal clutch rather than actually being broken?

2) where should lubrication be applied? I can't get the panel to open (I can't turn the drive unit with the manual crank, either) so I can't really get anything into the tracks...

3) if it turns out that the drive unit is broken, it this a simple replacement task or does it require module coding, which pretty much means a trip to the dealer...

Thanks, Jon.
Old 11-12-2016, 07:32 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2007 550i Sport PKG

Originally Posted by jmdhuse
Hi All,

I don't open the sunroof very often but recently the drive gear seems to be stripped - I hear this buzzing sound while the motion stalls. The panel only moves through part of its range of motion - it'll go up and down in the vent positions, but it will not slide backwards. I have the anti-trap control message every time I start the car. So I guess I have a few questions:

1) is there some common problem that I can check for that might be jamming the panel from sliding backwards, which maybe means the buzzing is just a sign that the motor is slipping some kind of internal clutch rather than actually being broken?

2) where should lubrication be applied? I can't get the panel to open (I can't turn the drive unit with the manual crank, either) so I can't really get anything into the tracks...

3) if it turns out that the drive unit is broken, it this a simple replacement task or does it require module coding, which pretty much means a trip to the dealer...

Thanks, Jon.

Hey did you figure this out? My 550 started doing this exact thing today
Old 12-17-2023, 05:54 PM
New Members

My Ride: 06 528i

Originally Posted by MadeLikeHim
Hey did you figure this out? My 550 started doing this exact thing today
I found that mine had a broken gear (plastic) under the black cover on the sunroof motor. Which is located behind the switch panel. You can remove it by gently prying the switch panel out. You should see the black cover which you can also remove with a flat screwdriver.
Old 12-27-2023, 04:41 PM
Probation Members

My Ride: 2010 528i Sport

Originally Posted by PorkChop
I found that mine had a broken gear (plastic) under the black cover on the sunroof motor. Which is located behind the switch panel. You can remove it by gently prying the switch panel out. You should see the black cover which you can also remove with a flat screwdriver.

Hi, I’m currently in the same boat. I see that you can order the plastic gear itself, however I’m not sure how to disassemble the motor. Do you by chance have any input on how that’s done?
Old 12-28-2023, 06:36 AM
New Members

My Ride: 06 528i

Originally Posted by seam0ndem0n
Hi, I’m currently in the same boat. I see that you can order the plastic gear itself, however I’m not sure how to disassemble the motor. Do you by chance have any input on how that’s done?
I believe you have to remove the motor and remove the gear on the back then you can pull it through. I have not done this personally and cannot find any info other than full motor replacement. I just assume that's how you do it from photos. If you replace it don't forget to do the sunroof relearn by holding the open button until the relearn starts.