E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Sun roof rattle - ugh!

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 08:29 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '04 545i (10/03) Sport, 6, bk/bk, Premium Sound, Cold Weather, Active Headlights, Tinted Windows, Clear Bra! Winter wheels 'plastic dipped'

...my sunroof has started to rattle when open (tilted up or all the way open). Anyone have advice on how to adjust the roof or the parts inside to eliminate the rattle?

The noise is a metallic rattle/clanking that sound like it is coming from the front.

Thanks in advance!
Old 04-03-2012, 01:38 PM
Members

My Ride: 535i sport

I have the same issue when the bass hits hard, but I notice, its only when the roof is tilted up.
Old 04-03-2012, 01:42 PM
Ogg
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i Logic 7 Navi 2002 M5 Reps Remus Exhaust

i also have an 04 545i and started hearing this rattle as well recently
Old 04-03-2012, 04:05 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 07 530i Mystic Blue

There's a long metal piece that is touching the sunroof glass if you take a closer look. You can replicate the ratting noise 'wine glasses hitting each other' with you hand. I assume we're talking about the same noise. For mine, I taped the metal piece over with 'gorilla heavy-duty duct tape' twice and the problem was solved for me - no effect on the sunroof function.

I'd be interested to hear what other members did. What I did was very primitive, lol.
Old 04-03-2012, 04:15 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by leese8080
There's a long metal piece that is touching the sunroof glass if you take a closer look. You can replicate the ratting noise 'wine glasses hitting each other' with you hand. I assume we're talking about the same noise. For mine, I taped the metal piece over with 'gorilla heavy-duty duct tape' twice and the problem was solved for me.

I'd be interested to hear what other members did.
I'll have to give that a try and see if works.
Old 04-03-2012, 04:18 PM
Contributors

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: BMW
Model Year: 2006

Originally Posted by leese8080
There's a long metal piece that is touching the sunroof glass if you take a closer look. You can replicate the ratting noise 'wine glasses hitting each other' with you hand. I assume we're talking about the same noise. For mine, I taped the metal piece over with 'gorilla heavy-duty duct tape' twice and the problem was solved for me.

I'd be interested to hear what other members did.
+1. I have this issue as well but I don't use the sunroof enough so it never really bothered me. Anyway, I have been meaning to check if that long metal piece can be adjusted so that maybe a hard limit is set just enough so that when fully extended, it won't contact the glass. I swear it just needs to be brought down 1.5mm to 2mm and it won't hit the glass anymore.
Old 04-03-2012, 04:38 PM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

Crap, I hear a noise in mine and figured out a few weeks ago it is in the unroofed area. With everything closed I hear a shuttle clicking type noises. If I reach up and slightly pull down on the headliner it stops. Sometimes it's pretty loud. Now I need to figure out how to make it go away.
Old 04-03-2012, 10:45 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i e60
Model Year: 2004
Engine: v8

or you can buy some 3M velcro tape and stick the fuzzy side of it to the metal that is hitting the sunroof. quick easy solution that me and some members use
Old 04-04-2012, 02:44 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 550I,Space Grey,Hud,Cold Weather,M - Sport, matched GP Thunder headlights and Fogs,,Smoked Badges, Night Vision, Heated Seats,Rear Sunshades, Aux Audio, SAT, NAV, Black Grills, Sprint Booster, Dinan Cold Air, Stage 2 Dinan Software.....More to come soon

3M - Felt tape would do the trick!!!!
Old 04-05-2012, 09:25 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60 M5, F85 X5M

I had this same problem and read somewhere on M5Board that it was a known issue. I brought it to the dealers and my SA was going to charge me for repair as a wear-and-tear problem but I mentioned what I had heard and he had the foreman go on a drive with me. The foreman knew exactly what it was and confirmed it was a known issue and they fixed it for free. My understanding is that all they do is bend the metal wind deflector that pops up. That problem also caused my sunroof to pinch and retract. Call your SA.

Quick Reply: Sun roof rattle - ugh!