E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Sun roof Noise - Not fixed even 2nd visit to Dealer

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2007, 01:19 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 525i, Premium,Cold,Xenon Packages

I have taken car again to dealer to get the sunroof wind noise fixed, I even told them the only fix I read from forums is to replace rubber Seals. They didn't listen and just did adjustments like last time and gave the car back!

I even referenced posts from this Forum to a BMWNA Rep (who scheduled the Appt w/ Dealer and all on this issue) and he said since those car in this forum are Diff. year, Diff country - It supposively wont apply to mine??

Looks like I just have to keep cranking up volume when driving.. no more energy left to keep explaining Dealer and BMWNA Rep.

My Research on this issue:

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?show...25725&hl=noise

"There is no recall or TSB for the wind noise/leak from the sunroof, however, it is a known problem that can be repaired. I had the same issue. Initially the service technician did not hear the noise/leak. Fortunately, my service advisor compared our 545i to a new 550i and could tell the difference. The dealer replaced the rubber seal around the sunroof, a couple of velcro/felt strips, and tightened two "bands" which secure the sunroof mechanism. The sunroof is now quiet at all speeds, regardless if the shade is open or closed. "

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?show...10432&hl=noise

From Post#26 & 27

"RUBBER SEALS CHANGED = WIND NOISE PROBLEM SOLVED !!

My BMW dealer swapped out the the Rubber Seals on the Sunroof. They did not mention anything about changes to alignment etc., so assume they only made the Rubber Seal change."

"Read on previous threads that the dealer would re-align the sun roof and the noise would diminish at slower city speeds. However once you hit 60 mph and above the noise becomes unbearable. Took my car back to the dealer test drove it and they changed the rubber seal and problem solved.
Good Luck ! "
Old 04-23-2007, 01:22 PM
Members

Originally Posted by coolguy' post='416950' date='Apr 23 2007, 10:19 PM
I have taken car again to dealer to get the sunroof wind noise fixed, I even told them the only fix I read from forums is to replace rubber Seals. They didn't listen and just did adjustments like last time and gave the car back!

I even referenced posts from this Forum to a BMWNA Rep (who scheduled the Appt w/ Dealer and all on this issue) and he said since those car in this forum are Diff. year, Diff country - It supposively wont apply to mine.

Looks like I just have to keep cranking up volume when driving.. no more energy left to keep explaining Dealer and BMWNA Rep.

My Research on this issue:
Oh hell,
My brother warned me but I ordered my E 61 LCI with a panoramic roof. Guess I'll just have to turn the audio way UP !
Old 05-11-2007, 08:26 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: Jan 2006 E63 650i Sport . Options: Sport version (includes: sport-seats, sport-suspension, M-Sport steering wheel, Anthracite headliner, Shaddow Line), Saphire Black, Black Dakota Leather, Anthracite Maple Wood trim, Steptronic Auto, Xenons, NAV-Professional with Voice Control, TV, CD-Changer, Bluetooth, Logic7, Head-up Display, Comfort Access, Seat Heating front, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Extended Auto Air Conditioning, PDC. . Mods: Spacers 5mm front & 15mm rear . Wheels: 20" Alpina Softline (Classic) with Dunlop Sport Maxx non-RFT (255/35/20 & 285/30/20)

The quote in coolguy's original post ""RUBBER SEALS CHANGED = WIND NOISE PROBLEM SOLVED !! ..." is actually what I wrote back in November 2006. Now 6 months later its starting to get bad again, i.e. the wind noise is increasing For now its only really noticable when going over 100mph / 160kmh, but I know from last time round that its only going to get worse...

This can't be the rubber seals worn out after only 6 months - can it? that would be a serious product issue if that's the case. I guess I will bear the wind noise as long as possible and then its back to BMW to get it seen to... AGAIN :thumbsdown:

I'm a real fan of the sunroof, because its a great way of bringing light into the car and also fresh air with less noise than having a window open. It's also great for the tan in summer. But these noise issues on the autobahn when its closed is a real problem and certainly not what you'd expect with a car in this class. Hopefully something they've revised with the LCI model
Old 05-11-2007, 08:35 AM
Members

My Ride: 530d M Sport Touring, Manual transmission, Space Grey, Black Dakota Leather, Media Pack, Visibility Pack, High Beam assist, Panoramic Roof, Heated Front Seats

I have had my LCI model for 2 days (!). There is no wind noise from the Panoramic sunroof, although I've not been over 85mph yet.

I was concerned about sunroof noise before getting the car, but I guess it's now been fixed.
Old 05-25-2007, 09:45 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 525i, Premium,Cold,Xenon Packages

Ya i am getting annoyed with this sound every single day!!
Old 06-11-2007, 06:32 AM
Members

Originally Posted by coolguy' post='428275' date='May 25 2007, 01:45 PM
Ya i am getting annoyed with this sound every single day!! :(
I too have suffered the sunroof whistle since I picked up my 2007 530 xi in Munich last July. It took me a couple of months of driving before I realized that it was not caused by a side window seal leak

It was much magnified by driving into a headwind. It then took me another three months to convince my dealership that it was a problem at all.

They had asked the factory rep if BMW had run into the problem previously and he said not.

Finally, I waited until the wind was in excess of 25 mph and then dropped by the dealership and requested that the mechanic come for a drive.

He pushed up on the glass on the leading edge of the sunroof. [ not the frame ] and the noise disappeared. He then ordered a new seal an installed it

about 1/16 of an inch higher, than the prior seal. He also made sure that the seal along the leading edge of the sunroof was precisely level. Something that

the prior seal was not. The result was that the noise level of the entire interior of the car dropped dramatically. I have driven a number of Lexus and an old Rolls Royce that had higher

road noise levels. The mechanic was also pleasantly surprised and has passed this information back to Germany. I assume that this seal is installed at the factory by a robot that needs

a very minor adjustment.

Now if we can find a solution to the valve train noise when the engine is started first thing in the morning. Sounds as if the hydraulic oil is draining from the hydraulic lifter circuit overnight ????
Old 07-17-2008, 02:07 PM
Members

My Ride: BMW E61, Nov-2005. M-steering wheel +sport seats. Panoramic roof, Lighting package, Xenon, Adaptive headlights, Prof. navigation, CD changer, Voice control, Bluetooth, Heated seats, 128 alloys -18 inch, B&W Tuning (hounslow)

All

I have the same problem with windnoise when the roof is closed. I've seen several solutions, but my main question is, would BMW charge me for replacing the seals/rubbers or is it under a product warranty?

Thanks!
Old 07-17-2008, 11:31 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: Jan 2006 E63 650i Sport . Options: Sport version (includes: sport-seats, sport-suspension, M-Sport steering wheel, Anthracite headliner, Shaddow Line), Saphire Black, Black Dakota Leather, Anthracite Maple Wood trim, Steptronic Auto, Xenons, NAV-Professional with Voice Control, TV, CD-Changer, Bluetooth, Logic7, Head-up Display, Comfort Access, Seat Heating front, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Extended Auto Air Conditioning, PDC. . Mods: Spacers 5mm front & 15mm rear . Wheels: 20" Alpina Softline (Classic) with Dunlop Sport Maxx non-RFT (255/35/20 & 285/30/20)

Originally Posted by bertolli' post='626867' date='Jul 18 2008, 12:07 AM
All

I have the same problem with windnoise when the roof is closed. I've seen several solutions, but my main question is, would BMW charge me for replacing the seals/rubbers or is it under a product warranty?

Thanks!
On my previous E60 I had the seals replaced twice under warranty