E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Suggestions for 535 order?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 10:35 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535xi, platinum gray w/ nat brown; anthracite headliner, PP, SP, CWP, 18" wheels, L7, Ipod, FDR seats

I'm getting closer to placing an order to lease a new 5 series - I'm sure a topic like this is posted about once a week...so I apologize. I'm looking for feedback from those of you who own or have driven the i and ix...this is driving me nuts but I'm leaning towards the xi...I drove it a couple times, solid handling. I'm in upstate NY where I see snow 4+ months a year. I've had a couple RWD BMW's with snow, a little scary at times but I survived.

Options that I will get: Premium, SP, CWP, fold-down rears

Options on the bubble:
1) Sport wheels - they look so much better than the 17's but I'm concerned with all the RFT issues; I'd throw on 4 snows/rims from Tirerack for winter. Anyone own or drive the xi with these wheels...to harsh, better handling, loud??
2) i-Pod, sat radio, Logic 7
3) Comfort access, PDC
4) black headliner...I think the gray is standard which may look lousy with natural brown (platinum gray ext)

Any real-world experience on these choices would be greatly appreciated...Ive learned a ton from this forum - it's addicting!
Old 07-09-2007, 12:37 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by JimO'B' post='445275' date='Jul 9 2007, 11:35 AM
2) i-Pod, sat radio, Logic 7
Logic 7, along with the sport package is a must IMHO - iPod also a must if you own an iPod.
I do not have sat radio hooked up but I have heard it has quite a bit of static - using an iPod is better and cheaper.
Old 07-09-2007, 01:04 PM
cvb
Members

You can see the options I went with in my signature...

I personally can't stand satellite radio. I really like getting the news channels, but the audio is so compressed that music channels sound like crap...it's like MP3 encoded at the lowest bit rate.
I've had sat radio in 3 cars and I'm stopping the madness with this car . Instead I ordered HD radio...we'll see how that works out.

PDC is a must have (once you get it you'll never go back), but comfort access is a "splurge"
black headliner makes the car feel smaller inside to me...but I agree it may go better with brown leather.
Old 07-09-2007, 01:29 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by cvb' post='445379' date='Jul 9 2007, 10:04 PM
PDC is a must have
Is PDC really still an option in the US?

ABC
Old 07-09-2007, 02:43 PM
cvb
Members

Originally Posted by aybeesea' post='445390' date='Jul 9 2007, 02:29 PM
Is PDC really still an option in the US?

ABC
Yes
Old 07-09-2007, 05:03 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535xi, platinum gray w/ nat brown; anthracite headliner, PP, SP, CWP, 18" wheels, L7, Ipod, FDR seats

Originally Posted by cvb' post='445379' date='Jul 9 2007, 05:04 PM
You can see the options I went with in my signature...

I personally can't stand satellite radio. I really like getting the news channels, but the audio is so compressed that music channels sound like crap...it's like MP3 encoded at the lowest bit rate.
I've had sat radio in 3 cars and I'm stopping the madness with this car . Instead I ordered HD radio...we'll see how that works out.

PDC is a must have (once you get it you'll never go back), but comfort access is a "splurge"
black headliner makes the car feel smaller inside to me...but I agree it may go better with brown leather.
Thanks for your input. I see you went with the 18" wheels with RFT's - how do they ride...noisy? harsh? better handling? No doubt they look better. Do you have to deal with winter conditions in your neck of the woods? $600 isn't a hell of a lot in the whole scheme of things, but it would force me into $1000 winter set-up.

I do have the rear PDC in the LR3 I'm driving now - I agree that you do get dependent on it.
Old 07-09-2007, 05:21 PM
Contributors

1) I would say yes because it makes the car looks so much better
2) Ipod + Logic7 ( I have both and love it )
3) PDC ( is a must )
4) I don't have it but i think it would look really nice.

Hope this helps

Rich
Old 07-10-2007, 03:35 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E46 330, E60 550 on order: Carbon Black/Natural Brown, 6MT.

Originally Posted by JimO'B' post='445275' date='Jul 9 2007, 02:35 PM
Options on the bubble:
4) black headliner...I think the gray is standard which may look lousy with natural brown (platinum gray ext)
Get the headliner with natural brown. The gray headliner clashes with the brown seats. I sat in two such cars at my dealer, and I came away sold on the black headliner. I suspect that beige interiors would be the same way, but I did not see one when I was there.

I'd probably recommend the opposite if you got gray or black leather, as it does not make a $500 difference with those colors.
Old 07-10-2007, 11:12 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535xi (European Delivery 6/12/2007): Monaco Blue, Creame Biege Leather, Dark Poplar, Steptronic, Sport Package, Premium Package, 17" Style 243 Wheels, Nav, HUD, Active Cruise Control, Night Vision, PDC, Comfort Access, Lane Departure Warning, Cold Weather, Logic 7, HD Audio, iPod, Folding rear seats.

Last month I picked up on ED put ~1,400 miles on a new 535xi in Germany & Austria. I'm very happy with the xi. Had an E39 540 that was totaled in January.

The Comfort Access is not cheap, but you will use it EVERY time you get into or drive the car!
PDC is also worth it, especially now with the visual ques on the LCD display.

My car has Logic 7, iPod I/F, and HD radio. I'm a talk radio junkie so I may have wasted my money on the Logic 7. I think HD is a comer, though.

I had Nav on my E39 and wouldn't think of having a car without it. It it much improved on the 535xi.

Although I got Active Cruise Control and Night Vision, I didn't really get a chance to try them out.

Almost forgot: The Head Up display is great! Especially nice if you have a Nav system

In any case, you will love the car!
Old 07-10-2007, 11:45 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by aybeesea' post='445390
Yes
So THAT'S why e60s are more expensive in the UK!

ABC

Quick Reply: Suggestions for 535 order?