E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Stuck filler "bar" ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2009, 01:13 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, I have about 30 miles of fuel left, went to fill up, couldn't get the nozzle in the tank filler tube. Thought I had picked up the wrong fuel type - double checked that I hadn't, still couldn't get the nozzle to go in. Looked inside and noticed a big metal "bar" which I hadn't seen before - I am guessing it moves in to place when the car is locked to stop people syphoning fuel? Anyway, it won't budge - and I seriously need to fill the car up!! A trip to the dealer on Monday will mess up both my weekend plans and my Monday morning

Help !??!
Old 01-03-2009, 02:53 PM
Contributors

There's nothing in http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?mo...hg=16&fg=05
that shows an obstruction in the fuel filler neck. Is it possible someone tried to stick something in the filler pipe?

You might try to remove it carefully with a long necked tool?

Or try to add fuel with the help of a thin neck funnel. At least enough to get you to your dealer to investigate the problem.
Old 01-03-2009, 03:07 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 525XI, Jet black on Dakota beige. Premium and winter packages. I consider myself a purist and intend to keep my car absolutely stock and shiny. 2008 328I Convertible, Sapphire black on beige interior. Premium package, NAV, iPod adapter. Retired: 2002 325I, Titanium silver on black leather. Premium package. Absolutely stock and proud of it.

I have never heard of this. Please keep us updated and good luck...
Old 01-03-2009, 04:02 PM
Contributors

Hmmm strange. Let me dig out my camera and go take a photo. I have been on holiday for two weeks, car has been left on my driveway and today is the first time I've driven it and tried to fill it since getting back. The metal "bar" is clearly visible and I am positive it never used to be there, but it's certainly a fitted item. If somebody with an E60 is able to to take a look inside their filler cap and see if they see anything like this I'd be grateful.

Photo on it's way soon.
Old 01-03-2009, 05:07 PM
Contributors

Sorry about the image size - it's 2am here and I've not got any photo editing software on this PC.

Hopefully this will show the "bar". I am sure there used to be a circular flap there instead. I'm very confused. Is it possible the flap spring assembly has collapsed or something?? Could somebody maybe push their finger in to their flap (jeez, I should rephrase that), and see if they can see a bar like this inside/behind anywhere? I really need to force this thing open so I can fill the car, and let BMW Warranty sort out the mess when I have time. But if it drops inside, that could be very bad.

Stuck filler "bar" ?-floridahome_254.jpg
Stuck filler "bar" ?-floridahome_260.jpg
Stuck filler "bar" ?-floridahome_266.jpg
Old 01-03-2009, 05:59 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2007 530i. Purchased 6/28/07. Titanium Silver Metallic, Black Dakota Leather, Dark Poplar Trim, Steptronic, Premium Package, Cold Weather Package, Bluetooth, Adaptive Control Xenons. 10/30/07 Added OEM 124s with 245/40/18 & 275/35/18 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires. Installed red Cal Covers� from BavAuto. 11/21/07 Added OEM all-weather floor mats (for winter, carpet in summer) and coat rack. 6/26/08 installed M5-style rear spoiler. 6/30/08 put on red reflectors. 8/22/08 Euro turn signal stickers applied. 3/20/09 Installed Shadowline Trim. 3/27/09 Added Matte Black Kidney Grilles from Trinity. 4/03/09 Installed Bimmian Shadow Matte Black 530i Badges. 4/04/09 Installed LED license plate lights from Trinity. 5/01/09 Installed Brabus Interior LED Kit and White Angel Eyes. 5/02/09 Put in Brabus 6K Fogs. 5/14/09 Removed charcoal filter. 5/15/09 Installed light smoke LED side marker lamps from Trinity. 5/21/09 Sprint Booster. 6/12/09 Painted exhaust tips flat black. 6/13/09 Pulled red Cal Covers and painted calipers low gloss black. 6/27/09 RPI Ram Air Scoop from Trinity. 8/15/09 Installed Brabus's silver invisibulbs front and rear. 9/24/09 Installed R-Dash license plate LEDs from Brabaus (John).

Russ, I just went outside and checked mine. It has a spring-tension type flap as you described at the opening to the filler neck. I pushed it down with a screwdriver and shined a flashlight into it. It's just a hollow tube--no bar of any sort, nor does there appear to be anything along the tube where such a bar would be retracted. Perhaps the flap mechanism collapsed into the tube and is askew? Weird. GL. - Calvin
Old 01-03-2009, 06:06 PM
ObD
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i 6MT

It might be frozen stuck aka ice. Any chance of moving the car indoors.
Old 01-04-2009, 05:20 AM
Contributors

I sprayed a bit of de-icer in there last night , but the "bar" does actually have some movement, it would appear that the flap mechanism has collapsed as expected rather than something being frozen or jammed.
Old 01-04-2009, 01:56 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 525d M-Sport Saloon M57N2 3.0d LCI EXTERIOR: Jet Black, ///M-Aerodynamic Bodystyling, ///M-Rear Spoiler, De-badged, Gradual Tint Windscreen, ///M-Double Spoke 172M 19" Alloy Wheels (with non-run flats & space saver spare wheel) & ///M-Sports Suspension; INTERIOR: ///M-Steering Wheel, Black Dakota Leather Heated Sports Seats with Electric Lumbar Supports, Brushed Aluminium Interior Trim & Anthracite Headlining.

Originally Posted by Russ1974' post='758992' date='Jan 4 2009, 02:20 PM
I sprayed a bit of de-icer in there last night , but the "bar" does actually have some movement, it would appear that the flap mechanism has collapsed as expected rather than something being frozen or jammed.
Russ, I have a UK LCI 525d (3.0d). Mine too has the 'flap' like shown in your pictures. I believe this is normal and is intended to prevent mis-fuelling i.e. filling up with unleaded instead of diesel. The flap has several 'pins' positioned in various places around the filler which need to be 'pressed in' to release the flap. This is done by the diesel nozzle itself when re-fuelling as it is almost 'an exact fit' when inserted into the filler neck, which in turn releases the pins allowing the flap to open to enter fuel. In contrast, unleaded nozzles are smaller in diameter and don't release the pins and so the flap won't open.

On two occasions I have attempted to re-fuel at a specific filling station and have been unable to do so, as every single diesel nozzle there is dented on the end, preventing them from fitting the filler 'exactly' and therefore doesn't release the pins (I didn't fully realise this on the first occasion). I then went to an alternative filling station (almost running out of fuel on the first occasion) and had no problem what-so-ever! It was definitely this specific filling stations mis-shaped nozzles that caused my problems on both occasions. I have never had this problem at any other filling station. I bet this is the problem you are having - try an alternative filling station and inspect the end of the diesel nozzle to see if it is 'obviously mis-shaped' - if not I bet you won't have a problem.

The flap is a simple but effect way of preventing mis-fuelling, but a pain if the filling station has damaged nozzles - although I guess this is rare!
Old 01-04-2009, 03:11 PM
Contributors

Palmo - Thank you SO MUCH for this. I popped out to the local 24 hour garage and filled up without any problem at all - like you say, the bar just folds out of the way when the nozzle is inserted. I guess the one at the nozzle other garage must have been dented, and I'll know to look out for that in the future.

So, thank you for allowing me to recover my Monday morning - and perhaps more importantly - thank you for allowing me to avoid would have been an extremely embarrassing rant at the BMW service staff about non existent fault!!

I guess this shows that there are more differences between US and UK models than we originally thought. People should consider locations of vehicles when reviewing replies as it could mean the difference between correct info and (unintentional) wrong info.

Also - my wife's 2007 X5 has the regular circular flap, which I believe pre-LCI E60's also had, which is what I remember seeing last time I stared down the filler hole. Not something I make a habit of!

PS - filling station in question for me was Shell on Winwick road in Warrington, one I'll be avoiding from now on I think!

Quick Reply: Stuck filler "bar" ?