E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Struts?springs?rims?tires?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2016, 09:18 PM
New Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60 2006 sedan auto
Default Struts?springs?rims?tires?

My E60 is a 2004 525i

The front left shock is starting to make some noises so it is a perfect time to replace all the struts and springs on my car.

I am just looking for a beautiful smooth and comfortable ride.
I am not looking at lowering it or anything because it’s my wife’s everyday drive and I don’t want her hitting things or the tires scraping.

BUT

Please look at the photos I have included.
The front is already really low with the standard rims. My wife cannot drive the car forward onto the wheel stops in shops because the front
bumper will not go over the concrete stop.

This has already caused her to rip the front bumper off and a bucket load of tears all night because of what she had done to my car

At the moment I have 225/55ZR16 all round

But when I bought the car, the previous owner also gave me someM5 wheels.
But they are really badly damaged (from him) but I am happy to have them repaired or just buy new rims if needed.

You will see in the pictures that I can only just get my fist under the front bumper. Is this normal?

So I am thinking that it has lowering springs on the front when the M5 wheels were fitted.
But he had no money and changed back to the standard rims and tires to save money.

(1)I hope others may be able to recommend good comfortable struts and springs to use
(2)If I have normal or lowered springs?
(3)what is a good size tire to fit on the M5 wheels without scraping?

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails Struts?springs?rims?tires?-photo940.jpg   Struts?springs?rims?tires?-photo298.jpg   Struts?springs?rims?tires?-photo29.jpg   Struts?springs?rims?tires?-photo891.jpg   Struts?springs?rims?tires?-photo381.jpg  

Struts?springs?rims?tires?-photo480.jpg  
Old 11-23-2016, 09:37 PM
New Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60 2006 sedan auto

I could buy these rims
https://www.ebay.com/itm/181970948249

Or these

https://www.ebay.com/itm/181970953962
Old 11-24-2016, 04:53 AM
Administrator

Received 99 Likes on 95 Posts
My Ride: 530xi
Model Year: 2007
Engine: N52

I don't think you'll know for sure until an expert can get it up on a lift and tell you what you have.

I've ordered some Bilsteins but don't have them on the car yet. My goals are your goals...a nice comfortable ride. After much research, that's what I was told to get.
Old 11-24-2016, 09:15 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2007 BMW 550i

Originally Posted by JayArras
I don't think you'll know for sure until an expert can get it up on a lift and tell you what you have.

I've ordered some Bilsteins but don't have them on the car yet. My goals are your goals...a nice comfortable ride. After much research, that's what I was told to get.
I had Blisteins on the car, those are amazing shocks, but in noway comfortable. I'd return them if you could. Small bumps in the road were causing me to exhale air from my lungs by accident sometimes. Do what i did much better comfort then Blistein and firmer than my standard Sport shocks. OEM M-Sport BOGE shocks on Eibach Springs.