E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Stripped Strut Bar Hole (Bolt)

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2013, 12:13 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Stripped Strut Bar Hole (Bolt)

Was reinstalling strut bar and like a goofball I didn't properly hand tighten the bolt before tightening it with the wrench. So I managed to strip the hole where the bolt goes and now the bolt will not tighten, so now with a loose strut bar I get a clunk while hitting bumps or turning. Anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this issue, maybe retap the hole? Never retapped before so a guide or explanation would be great thanks.
Old 02-25-2013, 12:25 PM
pcy
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: '06 530i, '07 C280 4matic, '98 ML320

I think retapping is the only way out of that situation.
if you don't already own, you will need to buy a tap and die set and go from there.
Old 02-25-2013, 12:53 PM
Senior Members

would a cheap tap and die set like this work?
Great Neck/40 pcs. metric tap and die set (DT40M) | Tap and Die Set | AutoZone.com
Old 02-25-2013, 01:01 PM
pcy
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: '06 530i, '07 C280 4matic, '98 ML320

That should do the job.
If there is a Harbor Freight store near you, they have very similar one for around $15.
40 Piece SAE Carbon Steel Tap and Die Set
SAE / Metric Tap and Die Set - 60 Piece, Alloy Steel
Old 02-25-2013, 02:42 PM
twh
Members
Senior Members

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW 530xi 6MT
Model Year: 2006
Engine: N52

Originally Posted by Persian_535i
Was reinstalling strut bar and like a goofball I didn't properly hand tighten the bolt before tightening it with the wrench. So I managed to strip the hole where the bolt goes and now the bolt will not tighten, so now with a loose strut bar I get a clunk while hitting bumps or turning. Anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this issue, maybe retap the hole? Never retapped before so a guide or explanation would be great thanks.
Not sure exactly what part you are talking about. Can you go here and find it and post it?
Part groups BMW 5' E60 Facelift, 535i (N54)
Old 02-25-2013, 05:22 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 540i
Model Year: 2017

You can drill and tap to the next size larger. I think the original bolt is an 8mm.
Or use a helicoil. I use them at work with much success.
Helicoil - Emhart Technologies Helicoil Distributor, Manufacturer, Agent, Helicoil Free Running, Helicoil Screw Lock, Helicoil Metric, Helicoil Screw Thread Inserts, USA
Attached Thumbnails Stripped Strut Bar Hole (Bolt)-about-helicoil-stripped-repaired-hole.jpg  
Old 02-25-2013, 05:40 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by pcy
That should do the job.
If there is a Harbor Freight store near you, they have very similar one for around $15.
40 Piece SAE Carbon Steel Tap and Die Set
SAE / Metric Tap and Die Set - 60 Piece, Alloy Steel
Thanks, there's one about 20mins away, not worth the drive to save $5 haha but good looking out!
Old 02-25-2013, 05:42 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by twh
Not sure exactly what part you are talking about. Can you go here and find it and post it?
Part groups BMW 5' E60 Facelift, 535i (N54)
Too lazy to go through the page to look for the actual part lol, but it's the three bolts on each side where the strut bar bolts into under the hood. I believe only one or two bolts are actually used by the strut bar though.
Old 02-25-2013, 05:43 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by 530inOK
You can drill and tap to the next size larger. I think the original bolt is an 8mm.
Or use a helicoil. I use them at work with much success.
Helicoil - Emhart Technologies Helicoil Distributor, Manufacturer, Agent, Helicoil Free Running, Helicoil Screw Lock, Helicoil Metric, Helicoil Screw Thread Inserts, USA
Awsome, can anyone confirm that the original bolt size is 8mm? Super helpful to know which size I need to enlarge the hole to.
Old 02-26-2013, 08:53 AM
twh
Members
Senior Members

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW 530xi 6MT
Model Year: 2006
Engine: N52

Too lazy to go through the page to look for the actual part lol, but it's the three bolts on each side where the strut bar bolts into under the hood. I believe only one or two bolts are actually used by the strut bar though.
Your picture is #1 and #2 in this picture:
Guide support/spring pad/attaching parts BMW 5' E60 Facelift, 535i (N54)

You aftermarket strut is something like this one:
http://www.modbargains.com/images/Pr...trut-Bar-3.jpg

The one you have uses only 2 of the three strut studs.

Are both of the studs stripped?
How badly is it stripped?
Is it just cross threaded for a few threads?

The nut listed as #2 which attaches the strut bar to the shock tower is an M8-8 Self-locking collar nut. It is one time use only.

Your other problem is that there is very little room to get a new die onto the stud to chase the existing threads or cut new threads.

Assuming you didn't completely strip out both of the studs, I would try this first:

(1) Get new M8-8 Self-locking collar nuts from BMW (#2 in the picture) -- they are one time use only.

(2) Use a die to chase (i.e. re-cut) the same M8 threads -- there are fine and course thread types, figure out the right one to use.

(3) Put on the new M8-8 locking nuts and torque them to 34 Nm (25 ft-lb).

(3a) If you are able to successfully torque them in (3), you are probably safe and done. I would check it after a week and month of driving by just putting the wrench on the bolt to make sure it hasn't loosened.

(3b) If they strip out when torquing in (3), IMO you need to replace the BMW part #1, which will be an ordeal.

(3c) You might get lucky and be able to cut an M7 thread on that stud. I fear the die won't go far enough down to cut decent threads and you''ll be back to (3b) anyway.

That's my 2 cents.

Quick Reply: Stripped Strut Bar Hole (Bolt)