E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Strangest Thing

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 04:30 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i E60 Orient Blau Metallic Premium, NAV, Winter Package, Heads Up Display, Logic 7 Audio, AngeliBright Upgrade [White], M5 Body Kit, M Embroidered Seats

So I'm driving along in sub-zero temperatures in Michigan and my 'Emissions Warning' light comes on. The car lurches a bit, and feels generally as if it's hesitating for a few seconds but then comes back to normal operation.

I take it to my dealer and they diagnose the probelm to be due to a leak from a crack in the rubber hosing that feeds the secondary air pump. Apparently, this is essential for the quick warming of the car as it removes most of the impurities while the car is coldest and emitting the most pollutants. So far so good.....

Here's the catch - the rubber hose and clamp costs 250 bucks but the labor to replace it is over 650!! Total repair cost with price was close to 950 bucks all said and done with. I have the ext maint and ext warranty on the car so I argued with my SA that this is BS and needs to be covered as this was in no way a problem that could be foreseen. He agreed and essentially said that he will talk to BMW NA.

I get a call today and he tells me that BMWNA agreed to absorb 50% of the costs of the repair. Part of me says great, that's nice of them; but part of me is curious what the game is here?? Why absorb 50% if indeed the warranty doesn't include these kinds of 'wear and tear' items????? Are they essentially covering for inferior parts or issues with the design of the exhaust?? Has anyone experienced this problem, had a different outcome or solution???? I've owned four BMWs and never have I had this kind of reply from my SA.....
Old 01-13-2010, 04:33 PM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)

That's not a wear and tear problem.....I say it's time to whirl up a sh*t storm...
Old 01-14-2010, 07:45 AM
Members

Yeah I don't understand why it wouldn't be covered. Is there wording in the warranty contract like that?
Old 01-14-2010, 10:38 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

Originally Posted by subarashi' post='1090187' date='Jan 13 2010, 08:30 PM
So I'm driving along in sub-zero temperatures in Michigan and my 'Emissions Warning' light comes on. The car lurches a bit, and feels generally as if it's hesitating for a few seconds but then comes back to normal operation.

I take it to my dealer and they diagnose the probelm to be due to a leak from a crack in the rubber hosing that feeds the secondary air pump. Apparently, this is essential for the quick warming of the car as it removes most of the impurities while the car is coldest and emitting the most pollutants. So far so good.....

Here's the catch - the rubber hose and clamp costs 250 bucks but the labor to replace it is over 650!! Total repair cost with price was close to 950 bucks all said and done with. I have the ext maint and ext warranty on the car so I argued with my SA that this is BS and needs to be covered as this was in no way a problem that could be foreseen. He agreed and essentially said that he will talk to BMW NA.

I get a call today and he tells me that BMWNA agreed to absorb 50% of the costs of the repair. Part of me says great, that's nice of them; but part of me is curious what the game is here?? Why absorb 50% if indeed the warranty doesn't include these kinds of 'wear and tear' items????? Are they essentially covering for inferior parts or issues with the design of the exhaust?? Has anyone experienced this problem, had a different outcome or solution???? I've owned four BMWs and never have I had this kind of reply from my SA.....
First, you'd be hard pressed to find an extended warranty that covers rubber components. I'm not saying the BMW extended warranty isn't supposed to - if it does it would be written in the agreement. What I am saying is that every manufacturer extended warranty I've dealt with specifically excluded rubber components (seals, belts, boots, and hoses) unless another component that is under warranty caused its failure.

Second, theres absolutely no way a rubber hose and clamp should cost you $250. It's obvious the dealer is trying to screw you without lubrication. And the 50% discount is BS too - they are just reducing their profit. Even at $400 - $500 they are still making a killing off of you.

Bottom line is your air hose probably cracked from the extreme cold. I'd take that car of yours to an indy and get it fixed for much less. An air pump isn't too hard to find - get underneath the car and check for any pipes/hoses connecting to your exhaust manifolds/cat conv and then trace them back to the engine. You could probably do the job yourself.
Old 01-14-2010, 12:04 PM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)

Just remembered this...I got a rubber coolant hose covered under CPO warranty a few months back...
Old 01-14-2010, 12:10 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my issue would be why only 50%? either all or nothing i would imagine. how could it be 50% covered? shady.
Old 01-14-2010, 06:27 PM
Contributors

My Ride: F90 M5 Singapore Grey Executive package blacked out grill, body matched paint
Model Year: 2019

Shady for sure
Old 01-14-2010, 06:43 PM
Contributors

Investigate what components are covered under the emissions warranty ... that covers related components longer than the 4 yr / 50K mile limit.
Old 01-14-2010, 07:59 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i E60 Orient Blau Metallic Premium, NAV, Winter Package, Heads Up Display, Logic 7 Audio, AngeliBright Upgrade [White], M5 Body Kit, M Embroidered Seats

So the extended warranty and the maintainence wording is very clear - rubber hoses and connectors are considered wear and tear items and are not covered by the warranty. I agree that it must've been the cold but then why cover it at all??? I don't get the 50% deal. I don't think the dealer is lying to me - they did speak to BMWNA because I saw the fax reply from BMW NA on my SAs desk...

I would take it to an Indy but why should I when I paid good money for the ext warranty and the maintainance...makes no sense to me to take it elsewhere even if they are screwing me cos if there's a problem with the repair - I can hold them liable for it...

Here's the interesting update...I okayed the 400 or so repair and they went to work - found a major coolant leak at the "V joint" where the coolant intake enters the engine manifold. Now that IS covered by the warranty. Since they had to get all the way into the engine bay to repair it -- the labor for the rubber hose on the secondary air pump is also covered. So now all I have to pay for is the hose, the gasket, the connectors and the sealant..some 200 in all..

God works in strange ways I guess -- still can't quite understand the logic of it though... Can someone do a realoem search for me on this rubber hose part to see what the actual cost is? I will get a receipt for sure but I am intrigued by how much rubber tubing can cost man!!!

S
Old 01-14-2010, 08:00 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Krozi' post='1090767' date='Jan 14 2010, 04:04 PM
Just remembered this...I got a rubber coolant hose covered under CPO warranty a few months back...
How???? Pray tell!!! What mileage and what were the circumstances???? I think the coolant system is different though (see my post)...

Quick Reply: Strangest Thing