E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Strange vibration from the front

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2009, 07:00 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Metallic gray '05 545i Sport Black Leather with HUD, Step, Nav, PDC, CWP, K&N Air Filter, Black RPI scoop, Black painted calipers, 35% F1 Pinnacle tint, 19" RDSport RS-2F rims with Continental ExtremeContact DWs.

A few weeks ago, I was pulling my '05 545 out of a parking space that had a curb to my passenger side. I got in, turned to the left, and blam, backed into and up a bit onto the curb. Good news, I hit it so square that I didn't even touch the lips on my RD Sport RS2 F lips.

Driving home, it pulled a bit, so I took it in and my mechanics replaced a lower control arm that was bent and got an alignment. Drives fine, but there is a vibration/clunk when I brake that started before I got the repairts done, but seems to be getting worse. It feels like something is moving back and forth a bit, and it only happens while braking, usually hard.

Anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance.
Old 10-10-2009, 07:14 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

first thing i'd check is to make sure the lug nuts are tight.
does the steering wheel shake when braking? do you feel it in the brake pedal?
Old 10-10-2009, 07:30 PM
Members

My Ride: Metallic gray '05 545i Sport Black Leather with HUD, Step, Nav, PDC, CWP, K&N Air Filter, Black RPI scoop, Black painted calipers, 35% F1 Pinnacle tint, 19" RDSport RS-2F rims with Continental ExtremeContact DWs.

Originally Posted by turboawd' post='1029586' date='Oct 10 2009, 08:14 PM
first thing i'd check is to make sure the lug nuts are tight.
does the steering wheel shake when braking? do you feel it in the brake pedal?
Everything seems to be tight. My mechanic said nothing was loose, but something isn't right. They said it might be the brake pads moving, sounds wierd, but maybe I'll mess with them tomorrow. I don't know where I feel the vibrations, either in the steering wheel or the brake pedal, but the steering wheel doesn't shake. I'll try braking without holding the steering wheel tomorrow and see if I still feel it.
Old 10-10-2009, 07:50 PM
Senior Members

did you get that wheel rebalanced to make sure it didnt get bent? even though you didnt make contact with the rim, the inner barrel of the rim could have gotten tweaked from the impact.

usually when you brake and feel vibration, its a sign of warped rotors.
Old 10-11-2009, 09:40 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 BMW 545I M sport suspension Active Steering M sport interior Navi Low ride sports

Originally Posted by turboawd' post='1029603' date='Oct 10 2009, 10:50 PM
did you get that wheel rebalanced to make sure it didnt get bent? even though you didnt make contact with the rim, the inner barrel of the rim could have gotten tweaked from the impact.

usually when you brake and feel vibration, its a sign of warped rotors.
+1 well said...if you are feeling vibration in the brake pedal when the brakes are applied then you need new rotors...the rotors are warped...if this is the case you will need pads as well. the rotors being warped causes the pads not to wear evenly...i would also check the wheel balance on all 4 rims....you said that you feel like something is loose when braking hard... this could also be your lower control arm bushing...this bushing is allowed a little play for smoother ride..but if it plays excessivley than you would probably need those bushing wich could cause that aswell... good luck and keep us posted
Old 10-11-2009, 04:43 PM
Members

Checked today. There are no vinbrations felt in the steering wheel. That being said, while the rim has a little run-out, it doesn't feel like a warped rotor. I've had warped rotors before and I know what those vibrations feel like. This feels more like a straight back and forth action. I think maybe the bushing issue may be a factor. I had the wheels off today, and everything feels really tight. Maybe a trip to the dealer is in order.
Old 10-12-2009, 09:03 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 BMW 545I M sport suspension Active Steering M sport interior Navi Low ride sports

Originally Posted by top6491' post='1030096' date='Oct 11 2009, 07:43 PM
Checked today. There are no vinbrations felt in the steering wheel. That being said, while the rim has a little run-out, it doesn't feel like a warped rotor. I've had warped rotors before and I know what those vibrations feel like. This feels more like a straight back and forth action. I think maybe the bushing issue may be a factor. I had the wheels off today, and everything feels really tight. Maybe a trip to the dealer is in order.
in that case ... that lower contol arm bushing may be your problem...that bushing is allowed a little play but once it plays exessivley than you will feel that vibration back and forth when applying the brake hard... you would see any movement just with the wheels of...there are proper ways to check the suspension...with the e60 suspension shake the front wheels side to side and then up and down...if you do not feel any play then use a pri bar on the ball joints and bushing to see if they have play....remember that bushing is allowed a little play but the ball joints are not...everything else should be perfectly tight...another way to check that bushing would be.... have someone stand outside of the car watching the front wheels while you apply the brakes forcely. move back and forth, you dont have to go to fast just apply the brakes suddenly off and on again...and if that bushing is really loose then you will see the whole wheel moving back and forth...try this... good luck
Old 10-20-2009, 05:44 PM
Members

Well, took the car to the dealer. Verdict, two broken transmission mounts and one motor mount. Motor mounts covered, transmission mounts not ($817). The SA and I have no idea how they could have nroken, and he said he's never seen it before, lucky me. At least it'll be solid again after it's fixed. BTW, they have a black M5 and M6 for sale there (both $50K), awful tempting...
Old 10-20-2009, 06:48 PM
Senior Members

wow. that's odd.
Old 10-21-2009, 02:00 PM
Members

Originally Posted by top6491' post='1037089' date='Oct 20 2009, 09:44 PM
Well, took the car to the dealer. Verdict, two broken transmission mounts and one motor mount. Motor mounts covered, transmission mounts not ($817). The SA and I have no idea how they could have nroken, and he said he's never seen it before, lucky me. At least it'll be solid again after it's fixed. BTW, they have a black M5 and M6 for sale there (both $50K), awful tempting...
ya makes sense..that could cause your vibration also...at least now you will have the car running smoothly again....

Quick Reply: Strange vibration from the front